Safety nannies

My wife makes me leave the back seat alert on in the Toyota. I cannot stand it. She says it makes her “feel better.” Not sure why our kids are all old enough for it not to be “necessary” anymore. Oh well, not worth the argument. I have my weird stuff too.

My wife makes me leave the back seat alert on in the Toyota. I cannot stand it. She says it makes her “feel better.” Not sure why our kids are all old enough for it not to be “necessary” anymore. Oh well, not worth the argument. I have my weird stuff too.
She got used to it, and now if it suddenly disappears she notices a change

This was made to save kids lives. There were numerous incidents were a distracted parent forget they left the kid in the back seat on a 90° day and six hours later find the lifeless child. What I'd like to turn off on hybrid and EV cars is that annoying spaceship noise thay make at low speed as a pedestrian warning.
EV /hybrid warning is not about you, it’s others.

This was made to save kids lives. There were numerous incidents were a distracted parent forget they left the kid in the back seat on a 90° day and six hours later find the lifeless child. What I'd like to turn off on hybrid and EV cars is that annoying spaceship noise thay make at low speed as a pedestrian warning.
Sadly, not all parents are fit to assume the role of being a good parent.

Sometimes you want to back up holding the drivers door open. My 15 MB slams it in park and won’t move. I’m taking care of my older cars because of these nannies.

Sadly, not all parents are fit to assume the role of being a good parent.
Actually there is A LOT of research in the field of psychology where your statement is absolutely incorrect. There is no doubt that some people shouldn’t have kids. There are a lot of people who actually know that.
But issue is far more complex and human brain doesn’t work in a way someone argues from couch. I am parent, I get it, but it is not that simple.

And so is the back seat reminder the op is annoyed about. I'm perfectly capable of not running over others without an annoying sound emanating from the vehicle.
I think premise is sidewalks, crosswalks , parking lots and other places where near silent vehicles moving and person basically walks out. I believe Toyota ran into this with early hybrids and some incidents.

I think premise is sidewalks, crosswalks , parking lots and other places where near silent vehicles moving and person basically walks out. I believe Toyota ran into this with early hybrids and some incidents.
Most likely with people wearing headphones or using their phones instead of watching where they are walking. How do deaf people manage to get around then without being run over?

Most likely with people wearing headphones or using their phones instead of watching where they are walking. How do deaf people manage to get around then without being run over?
And blind people manage to not get crushed too.

One day I was going like 40 down a side road and some lady stepped out from behind a bush onto a crosswalk. She saw me and went back behind the bush, but why don't you look down the road before you hop out in front of a 5000 lb hammer.

Hearing impaired have adapted like most folks with disabilities using their other typically stronger senses as much as possible , balance of folks who have all senses depend learned by sound(of vehicle) as much as eyes their entire lives.

And blind people manage to not get crushed too.

One day I was going like 40 down a side road and some lady stepped out from behind a bush onto a crosswalk. She saw me and went back behind the bush, but why don't you look down the road before you hop out in front of a 5000 lb hammer.
The visually impaired community pushed for sound of EV/Hybrids because that is exactly what they depend on to know of a vehicle presence. They were extremely challenged of any other way to adapt around slow moving vehicles.

The visually impaired community pushed for sound of EV/Hybrids because that is exactly what they depend on to know of a vehicle presence. They were extremely challenged of any other way to adapt around slow moving vehicles.
That makes sense. It's easy to hear a ticky kia or straight piped honda but a silent EV would just make tire rolling noise which isn't that loud

As long as I can shut all that crap OFF I'm ok, rented a Honda- the stearing wheel didn't stop vibrating. Almost like the engineers ran out of meaningful upgrades......
Guessing you meander on lines :) , happened to me too on a rental in Puerto Rico albeit only visual not vibrations.

Sometimes you want to back up holding the drivers door open. My 15 MB slams it in park and won’t move. I’m taking care of my older cars because of these nannies.
I'm in the country and maneuvering around with the door open is common place. I imagine it is for a lot of farms and ranches, too.

The AutoPark in my Wrangler JL really annoys me. Right now it's pretty easy to disable by tricking it with a dummy seat belt, but they'll continue to make it more difficult

I haven't decided whether I like the rear camera on the Camrys or not. In the hierarchy of rear view devices,where is it? I've been doing pretty OK with just mirrors for the last 50 yrs or so :cool:

I haven't decided whether I like the rear camera on the Camrys or not. In the hierarchy of rear view devices,where is it? I've been doing pretty OK with just mirrors for the last 50 yrs or so :cool:
I'd struggle to go back to not having a rear view camera. Blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alerts are nice to have (although I could go without no problem). Lane departure warning and radar cruise, however, should die a painful death.

Back