ACDelco PF64 - C&P - Torn Media!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Though of little solace to you, not a typical ACDelco/Champ thread end bypass anecdote posted here. Shouldn't tear at 5k miles. Not excusing it, in addition to pleat spacing does make me ponder if DI fuel dilution a factor too.

Pleat spacing is the primary factor IMO. That and cold weather starts and high revs.

It will definitely be interesting to get my report back from Toromont. I have no doubt that fuel dilution will be indicated... to what level, and how that affected viscosity, will be the determining factor for my next oil choice.

Originally Posted By: RD_3
Currently I am running a Fram PSL10060 that I picked up for $10

Fram PSL10060? Link please.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Though of little solace to you, not a typical ACDelco/Champ thread end bypass anecdote posted here. Shouldn't tear at 5k miles. Not excusing it, in addition to pleat spacing does make me ponder if DI fuel dilution a factor too.

Pleat spacing is the primary factor IMO. That and cold weather starts and high revs.

It will definitely be interesting to get my report back from Toromont. I have no doubt that fuel dilution will be indicated... to what level, and how that affected viscosity, will be the determining factor for my next oil choice.

22 psi bypass doesn't help either. That's considerable pressure on a pleat. They can't be having wide pleat poor QC.

One of the new E-core filters alongside of the 1st XG10575 ran on the Tahoe … the leaf spring and BPV are very similar

Originally Posted By: RD_3
Currently I am running a Fram PSL10060 that I picked up for $10

Fram PSL10060? Link please.

Brain lapse...its a FPS10060, the non-suregrip FU model.

Bought it through a Rieth Auto Carquest store through eBay here

Originally Posted By: goodtimes

22 psi bypass doesn't help either. That's considerable pressure on a pleat. They can't be having wide pleat poor QC.

Good point! All the more reason to have a more sturdy media design.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
One of the new E-core filters alongside of the 1st XG10575 ran on the Tahoe … the leaf spring and BPV are very similar

TY for the pics! The uneven pleating on the seam is why I stopped using them.

Well, running 0w20 in SE Texas so I’ll just stay with the XG … doubt they go into bypass much and bearings have always been tight areas on engines …

Yep, if the media can't take the delta-p of the bypass valve setting then the filter is useless.

You should contact AC Delco and see what they say, if anything (crickets chirping?).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yep, if the media can't take the delta-p of the bypass valve setting then the filter is useless.

You should contact AC Delco and see what they say, if anything (crickets chirping?).

I have opened a case with GM/Cadillac Canada. They stated a Cadillac Team Representative will be reaching out to me within 2 business days.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Please post up what they have to say.

Will do!

Question: of all the filters available with the 22psi bypass spec, which one is the most likely to be of the best construction with respect to reliability. Meaning, which ones have we seen 0 defects/failures for?

There is no efficiency without the media staying in tact. Top contenders are:

Wix WL10290
Wix WL10290XP
ACDelco UPF64R
Fram HP18

Oversized:
Wix 57502
Wix 57502XP
Fram HP19

I'm partial to an oversized filter to reduce the pressure the media is exposed to. However, that should not be a concern with a good filter.

I did a hand tear test with 63E … not as flimsy as Puro/MC/BD+ … but nowhere near the strength of M1 …

Question: of all the filters available with the 22psi bypass spec, which one is the most likely to be of the best construction with respect to reliability. Meaning, which ones have we seen 0 defects/failures for?

Wix WL10290
Wix WL10290XP
ACDelco UPF64R

The UPF64R actually has a 35psi bypass.

Originally Posted By: Patman

Is the "R" designator the "racing" filter?

Wix WL10290
Wix WL10290XP
ACDelco UPF64R

Would this be a good alternative for the ATS, while keeping GM happy with respect to warranty? I may be able to convince GM to use this filter exclusively going forward as a result of my poor experience with the PF64.

Are there any good C&P of this filter?

Wix WL10290
Wix WL10290XP
ACDelco UPF64R

Would this be a good alternative for the ATS, while keeping GM happy with respect to warranty? I may be able to convince GM to use this filter exclusively going forward as a result of my poor experience with the iPhone PF64.

Are there any good C&P of this filter?

If I were in your shoes I would consider the following:
I would choose WIX WL10290 or 57502. The efficiency is 50% at 6 microns and 95% at 20 microns. And enough capacity to go past the OLM. And a 22 PSI bypass setting.

During December, January, February, March and mid April you might consider a 0W30 Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil. Alternatively, put the ATS in the garage or put a sump heater on it.

I was planning to ask you when the oil and filter were installed and when they were changed as well as an idea of your driving habits. This along with the UOA may shed light on what to do next.

I’m thinking Cadillac will want to do some diagnostics to see if there is a problem that needs attention.

I hope Cadillac treats you well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back