Accident-possible total loss-insight needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. Like I mentioned above,if they were to fix it, the rental cost would appear to be very substantial.

I just went through this process with State Farm with my wife's accident. It took a little over a month from the accident for them to issue a check, but there was a delay in them being able to take possession of the car since there was a fatality involved and criminal charges against the other driver.

Once State Farm was able to take possession of the car, they sent an adjuster to the towing company to look at it. Once it was determined to be totaled, someone from the total loss department contacted me. He sent me some paperwork overnight via UPS to fill out along with a prepaid envelope to send it back. I was a bit confused by one of the forms so I just stopped by our agent's office and they made sure it was all correct and sent it back for me. Only took a few days after that for them to issue the check.

Going through everything since the accident has really shown me why it's important to have a good insurance company with a real agent rather than just going with the lowest bidder.

Just spoke with a friend who works in a car insurance claim Dept. She said there is a outside company who comes up with a formula to figure out value of the car and the insurance company takes it as Bible. She said since a brand new car it has very high value they could repair it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I just went through this process with State Farm with my wife's accident. It took a little over a month from the accident for them to issue a check, but there was a delay in them being able to take possession of the car since there was a fatality involved and criminal charges against the other driver.

Once State Farm was able to take possession of the car, they sent an adjuster to the towing company to look at it. Once it was determined to be totaled, someone from the total loss department contacted me. He sent me some paperwork overnight via UPS to fill out along with a prepaid envelope to send it back. I was a bit confused by one of the forms so I just stopped by our agent's office and they made sure it was all correct and sent it back for me. Only took a few days after that for them to issue the check.

Going through everything since the accident has really shown me why it's important to have a good insurance company with a real agent rather than just going with the lowest bidder.

Good to hear. Sf has always been good to me. They wanted to take the car somewhere as the tow company was not a great place to examine the vehicle at.

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
Just spoke with a friend who works in a car insurance claim Dept. She said there is a outside company who comes up with a formula to figure out value of the car and the insurance company takes it as Bible. She said since a brand new car it has very high value they could repair it.

I’ve heard this but also heard different things. It is a formula, but there are some variables in there, including cost of rental. I think their first thought might be to repair, but I’m not accepting the first offer.

Not only are you entitled to repair to 100% but also loss of value which will be significant ...if you go after it. not many are aware of that last part.

Did you have new car replacement value? If not, the car is used and they will give you the depreciated used car value. You will be on the hook for the difference in price for a new car.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
Not only are you entitled to repair to 100% but also loss of value which will be significant ...if you go after it. not many are aware of that last part.

If his state has provisions for it. In some states you can not claim diminished value, sadly. I mean, you can try, but if there is nothing in the state law about it, the insurance company will tell you to pound sand. Sure, you can lawyer up and try to take them to court over it, but based on past cases I've read about, your chances aren't very good.

Find out if they can put it out for salvage bids, I bet there are rebuilders salivating over it and would pay good money as it sits, thus helping the math involved in getting it totaled.

I work in a shop as a collision tech and being that the car is so new it will be hard to total it. Illinois does not have any parts laws, State Farm does not use aftermarket parts, and I doubt you will find another 2018 Tiguan at LKQ. With that said you should be safe for only OEM parts. That car took a good hit, not a train wreck but a good hit. Your not going to find buckles in the roof or the rear doors not opening correctly. The passenger compartment is very very strong. I can not see with the bumper still on but, if both front lower rails are damaged it should be declared a structural non-repairable total. If the rails are okay, the job will be all parts replacement with little repair and your car will be fixed. The air bag deployment will not total that car. I do not know what the salvage value of that car is but that might work out in your favor.

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
Just texted my car insurance claim buddy. She said car rental expenses has nothing to do with cost of fixing car. Totally two different coverages.

I know for a fact it’s factored in. At least on my policy.
Originally Posted By: biggusblockus
Find out if they can put it out for salvage bids, I bet there are rebuilders salivating over it and would pay good money as it sits, thus helping the math involved in getting it totaled.

Interesting and good to know.

Originally Posted By: Stevie
Did you have new car replacement value? If not, the car is used and they will give you the depreciated used car value. You will be on the hook for the difference in price for a new car.

No problem. Have gap and am willing to pony up a bit of needed.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
I work in a shop as a collision tech and being that the car is so new it will be hard to total it. Illinois does not have any parts laws, State Farm does not use aftermarket parts, and I doubt you will find another 2018 Tiguan at LKQ. With that said you should be safe for only OEM parts. That car took a good hit, not a train wreck but a good hit. Your not going to find buckles in the roof or the rear doors not opening correctly. The passenger compartment is very very strong. I can not see with the bumper still on but, if both front lower rails are damaged it should be declared a structural non-repairable total. If the rails are okay, the job will be all parts replacement with little repair and your car will be fixed. The air bag deployment will not total that car. I do not know what the salvage value of that car is but that might work out in your favor.

Honestly appreciate the professional opinion Dan. I know it’s a bit of a dream to think they will total it, but I bought the car as our primary vehicle to travel in with our newborn son. I don’t want the car back but don’t have a choice financially if they decide to fix it. I’m hoping some of the mechanical damage will push it higher as well. What I could see under the hood didn’t look good at all. Makes me sick. Hoping the rails are toast and maybe some cabin intrusion. I know that will “help.”

Since you’re in the industry, and not too far from me, do you have any suggestions for a top notch shop?

Originally Posted By: BTLew81

Honestly appreciate the professional opinion Dan. I know it’s a bit of a dream to think they will total it, but I bought the car as our primary vehicle to travel in with our newborn son. I don’t want the car back but don’t have a choice financially if they decide to fix it. I’m hoping some of the mechanical damage will push it higher as well. What I could see under the hood didn’t look good at all. Makes me sick. Hoping the rails are toast and maybe some cabin intrusion. I know that will “help.”

Since you’re in the industry, and not too far from me, do you have any suggestions for a top notch shop?

Not to familiar with the Plainfield area but the shop that sticks out to me is Todd's Body Shop.

I'm sorry you had a bad accident, I'm glad your ok! Your vehicle can be replaced, and it most likely will. From the picture it looks like the frame rail that I can see is buckled, most likely the other side has some bend to it also. I don't believe there are any aftermarket parts available for your vehicle, and they would not use them on a vehicle this new any way.

I do believe your done! Totaled!

Minimum state coverage may vary from state to state, the last state I had to use my underinsured motorist was 5k property damage for state minimum coverage. So, most likely your insurance co will be paying out to you, and collecting whatever they can from the at fault drivers insurance co.

P.S. Stop worrying about what if this, what if that! If you insurance co took your vehicle to their salvage yard, that's a big sign! Just sit back and relax for now.

usually they have to use "like kind and quality" in replacement parts
so they don't put 2 or 10 yr old parts on a 2018! they do work percentages
it's always about the $$ numbers if the veh book is 40K and the estimate is 32k and they can get a salvage bid of 8k
it would be done, especially if there are unknowns like engine/ transmission damage.
and it is brand new!
bids can go higher on a nice rebuilder. it doesn't look too bad, not enough pictures

good luck. State Farm has a better reputation then most

A

I took a closer look and the right rail looks buckled for sure. I'd assume the left is to but you never know. Push for a structural total loss.

Very helpful. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back