ac leak possibly evaporator leak

The car a/c was freezing very cold a month ago when I bought it but after a month it no longer freezes. The air conditioning technician filled the lines with air with a compressor and poured water on ac lines to see a leak and did not find a leak in the system and says that it probably has a leak in the evaporator and it would be better to change it. The technician also recommends as maintenance to change the air drying filter, the expansion valve and the o-rings of the ac pipes and the compressor gaskets. At the moment the technician wants to change all that except the compressor gaskets, because he says that there are no compressor gaskets available. Makes sense?

Get another opinion. Your guy thinks he's working on a tire and doesn't exhibit the skills to effectively solve your problem without bankrupting you.. I would have someone put a dye in the system and let nature take it course. The dye will leak out and expose the leak. Unless you have this done, I would not replace anything and I sure wouldn't go back to that guy..

Yes , use the UV dye .

One of the first things I check is the Schrader valves , for leaks . Replace them ( if you can ) as a precaution , if you have the slightest doubt .

Replacing the evaporator coil can often be a pretty involved process , taking the dash apart . :-( Costly .

I will be working on the repair or an AC system for a friend shortly and completing a project of my own. I tracked down the leak, now he has to get the part and find the time for the project. I bought a HF leak detector which was OK but was giving me a lot of false readings, so I returned it.

For the money this thing is awesome for finding leaks:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015FK1EH2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was hesitant at first because of the price, but for the money and for occasional use it is tough to beat, and less than half the cost of the HF unit. Using this plus dye can make leak detection a lot easier, especially when tracking down leaks like in the AC evaporator core.

Get another opinion. Your guy thinks he's working on a tire and doesn't exhibit the skills to effectively solve your problem without bankrupting you.. I would have someone put a dye in the system and let nature take it course. The dye will leak out and expose the leak. Unless you have this done, I would not replace anything and I sure wouldn't go back to that guy..
^^This

i think that the dye is a great idea and i agree that the other parts that he recommended not the evaporator unless it really is the problem. here is the rationale, the system will have increased pressure after repair, the next weak point will surely leak, drier, expansion valves o rings etc are pretty standard to replace when the ac system is opened.

Back