AC Delco PF63 cut & post

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
2021 Sierra 3500HD 6.6 gas, 21.1k on truck 5k on oil/filter. Quaker State Full Synthetic & PF63 is what I've used since new, this is the first one I've cut open. I'm impressed with this filter. I've only cut open maybe 6 of different brands and this is heavy duty compared to the others. I use a flap disc to grind the crimp off after I take off the gasket and every other filter sprung apart when I got fully around, not this one. I had to bully the cap and mounting plate off with a screwdriver and vice grips and found the 2 were spot welded together with a gasket sandwiched between that was tight to the can. The mounting plate is thick compared to others I've done, it feels heavy in the hand. The same oil and filter went back in/on. I'm doing 5k OCIs as most of the miles are towing. OLM showed 32%.
IMG_2222.jpg
IMG_2225.jpg

Heavy, thick gasket. The 8 spot welds holding the mounting plate and top cap together.
IMG_2223.jpg
IMG_2226.jpg

This is upside-down but the mounting plate is .0940" thick and you can see a rubber gasket between the plate and top cap. 2nd pic is the 8 spot welds.
IMG_2228.jpg
IMG_2229.jpg

ADBV and plastic backing.
IMG_2230.jpg
IMG_2231.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2222.jpg
    IMG_2222.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2232.jpg
    IMG_2232.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Yeah - have cut near a dozen - all pristine and ADV holding back oil in the plumbing …
The factory filters had metal caps and PF63E had fiber …

I'm surprised the part number isn't PF63E being that it's an e-core.
I read that they changed the bypass psi on the -E and now call it the PF63 and dropped the original PF63.

Do they offer the 6.6L gas in a dual rear wheel?
Pretty sure you could order one. The story with my 3500HD is when we ordered it in 12/20 for some reason there was only $400 difference instead of the usual $1200 between the identical truck in 2500 or 3500 so why not?

Pretty typical Champ Labs filter construction now. You'll find similar/same on Super Tech (most) ST and MP series filters. Be interesting to see what the equivalent MP series filter looks like. As an aside, when Champ was using combo valves in other equivalent filters, ACDelco for GM vehicles always used separate poppet type bypass. That even when the ecore endcaps were made of polyester.

Looks good at 5k miles. Thanks for c&p.

I'd like to see that style of center tube used more in oil filters with wire backed media. A very well constructed filter.

Back