XG9688 Bad build quality?

Picked this filter up to give a try on my tractor, but a quick look is making me think otherwise. The ADBV is very obviously not centered with the inner end cap and mounting plate. Makes me question if this filter would leak back and potentially leave cold start ups without oil for a fraction of a second longer, especially since my tractor sits for weeks without being used.

I tried to take pictures at the same angles and only rotate the can to get good perception of the issue. In the sideways pics you can see slightly different gaps in the inlet holes, where one shows the valve sitting flush and the other there's a slight shadow and distance between the valve and holes. The other sets of pics with the canister upright, looking into the center hole you can see the part of the valve meant to seal/separate the inlet from the outlet oil between the end cap and mounting plate is offset to one side.

Thoughts on this? Would you still use it? Chances of leak back? I'm debating cutting this one open to see if the valve has a crimp in the wrong spot from being offset.

IMG_20231226_223546.jpg
IMG_20231226_223622.jpg
IMG_20231226_223655.jpg
IMG_20231226_224345.jpg
IMG_20231226_224424.jpg
IMG_20231226_224452.jpg
IMG_20231226_224521.jpg

I'd return it and get another after checking it's ADBV status.
Not the first one like this we've seen, either.
unfortunately, they will sell it to someone else, I would contact the manufacturer and they should send you more and take that off your hand...

If possible, I'd try to return for replacement or credit.

Looks like adbv could be compromised. With that said, and said it before, drain back not exactly a death knell for an engine. And, some engines more sensitive to drain back than others. But, you purchased a product expecting to be 100% satisfied, that's what you should get.

I am surprised they can even get these assembled with the ADBV not centered. Does that mean the valve is mishapen, or the center tube out of place or??

At least Fram has the skirt. With other brands you wouldn't tell I don't think because there just a flat piece?

1703688040670.png

Adding more fuel to this fire. I bought an XG9100 at the same time as the XG9688, but also have two old stock XG9100's laying around. In short, I'm disappointed. The fact that I pulled two filters off the store shelf and both have ADBV misalignment, yet my two older stock filters do not signals to me a cheapening of the Fram products to a degree I'm no longer comfortable with.

The new filter ADBV is so misalignmed there's a literal gap in the inlet. It might as well not have a valve. Date code A32631. This one also still has the wire backed media.

IMG_20231227_090509.jpg

IMG_20231227_090307.jpg

First of the two old stock. The ADBV is closer and more uniform all the way around the mount plate. Date code A10401. This would be an OG Ultra.

IMG_20231227_090351.jpg

IMG_20231227_090410.jpg

Second of the old stock. Same quality I expected. Date code A200071.

IMG_20231227_090430.jpg

20231227_090109_HDR.jpg

Is this something Fram has always been prone to or only recently post getting bought?
More post getting bought, although there have always been occasional mistakes in the past. Mass produced item+lax QC=issues like these. I pull the seal & look at the OGs I've bought, for dome dents & ADBV alignment-I don't really care if people don't like it, I'm not spending $9 (or more) for a badly made filter...

The ADBV should look even, not mis-aligned. Contact Fram about it. That's the only way they will know what's going on.

If you shake those filters, are the guts tight or do they rattle inside?

It's worth looking at before you buy or use. But I suppose the ultra is sealed. I'd just return it and let Fram know if you care enough. Would not use.

I've seen this before, ages ago on a Champ Mobil 1 filter. The ADBV was offset so much that you could see the inner lip protruding from a few of the center holes. Returned.

High volume manufacturing, it can happen but should be caught.

Can't imagine how many of these faults with oil filters go unnoticed . Early years never paid attention to threads , center tubes , A.D.B.V. , etc.. Used the cheap FRAM most of the time .

Back