AC Delco dexos oil specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know where to find the PDS for the current AC Delco 5W-30 dexos oils? What do you think of the quality of the AC Delco oil filters for going full term on the OLM?

Not sure where to find specs for Delco oil, but just about any SN rated syn and many syn/dino blends meet the specs. Delco filters are good, but you won't go wrong with WIX or Napa golds.

Being almost 70 guess I am a bit old school but I don't run any oil out to the OLM indicator. I run it to around 5000 miles normally and use Synthetic. There are some good synthetic oils that meet the Dexos requirements.

There are some threads here regarding oil and the DI Engines.

DI engines seem harder on oil.

Originally Posted By: 30valve
Not sure where to find specs for Delco oil, but just about any SN rated syn and many syn/dino blends meet the specs. Delco filters are good, but you won't go wrong with WIX or Napa golds.

I agree regarding SN synthetics but I'm not sure that most blends would meet dexos1 requirements.
Mobil 1, QSUD and PP are all dexos1 approved (which means they pay GM the licensing fee).
Castrol Edge Syntec says it meets dexos1 but it isn't licensed (because they won't pay GMs fee). I think Valvoline Synpower is in the same catagory as Edge w/Syntec.
My new Cruze 1.4T calls for dexos1 and I think that any name brand synthetic should work. I wouldn't worry about using synthetic in the non-turbo 1.8 Cruze but I feel better using synthetic in a turbo.
As far as filters I think the AC, Wix and even Fram are all capable of doing a full OCI safely.

PS: I'm thinking of picking up some (non dexos1 approved) Shell full synthetic at BJs or Napa full synthetic which are both great deals right now.
Which of these two oils would be better?

Shell is great oil and Napa brand is made by Valvoline I believe, so both great choices.

IIRC AC Delco has Dexos approved oil that is a blend.

Last edited:
There is in fact an AC Delco 5W-30 synthetic blend that is dexos approved. I'm currently on the third fill in my wife's 2010 Equinox. Out of the oils run so far in the vehicle, it's the only one where there wasn't noticeable consumption over a 5000+ mile OCI.

There's really no information about this oil on the AC Delco website. There was however, a MSDS number on the oil container. I sent a message via the website requesting an electronic copy of the document. I have not heard back.

By the way, Valvoline claims that the latest version of Durablend meets the dexos spec.

dexos1 seems to be designed to require at least a syn-blend to pass the certifications. Does anybody out there know of a conventional oil that has the dexos1 certification stamp?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Does anybody out there know of a conventional oil that has the dexos1 certification stamp?

There is not one and there will not be one.

What no Motorcraft synthetic blend oils
lol.gif
. This list seems to leave out many of the "mainstream" oils we use. There is a fair amount of North American oils on that list that I'm not familiar with.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Dexos oils seem to be all 5-30s.
Seems odd to me, nowadays.

Probably because 5W-30 is about all GM recommends for its gas engines, which also seems a bit odd nowadays.

Sinclair Arctic Fire Full Synthetic Supreme Motor Oil GM dexos1™ Sinclair Oil Corporation dexos1 5W-30 RR1B0216039 N. America

Didn't think Dino was still in business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back