2023 GMC 3500HD-6.6L GAS/6Spd Trans - Motor Oil/Filter Choices?

Hello all--

RE: My new 2023 GMC 3500HD 6.6L Gas and 6 Speed Auto...

Manual states, "perform the first oil change before heavy towing." In addition, "Do not drive over 50mph and do not make starts at full throttle during the first 500 miles of trailer towing."

I am going to reach 500 miles in the next several days.

What is considered "heavy towing, as manual does indicate a weight amount?

I need to trailer my boat (2500# GVWR) about 150 miles round trip, soon after I reach 500 miles. I wanted to know if I need to change the oil/filter prior to this tow?

If so, I am considering which oil/filter I should start and stick with for this new truck. I'd like to start and stick with the best quality possible since it is new and I plan on keeping her for many years.

I am considering OEM GM/AC Delco products...(which is what dealer will use at the first complimentary service provided by GM at approx. 7500 miles)....

Per Manual: DEXOS 1-GEN3 5W-30 (GM oil) and the AC Delco PF63 filter.

Is this oil / filter sufficient quality protection for regular use and heavy towing (8000# GVWR travel trailer and other times 2500# fishing boat)?

I tow trailer 4-5 times per year, several hundred miles one way, primarily in the Southwest, with ambient temps (90F-110F) in Summer and (45F-75F) in Winter.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Change the oil at 500 and tow the small boat trailer. Just take it easy and don't hammer the gas pedal on this trip.

Congrats on the new truck. I am thinking hard about removing our almost five year-old Hyundai from our driveway. It only has 33k on the odometer and I want my 2nd Choice from 4-1/2 years ago..... Toyota RAV4 with the DOHC engine. No more Korean GDIs for me.

Last edited:
Same truck 2021 GMC, I’m running a PF63 and Quaker State Full Syn 5w-30. 5k OCIs. 20k on truck, 15k towing. I thought ‘23 was to have the new trans?

BTW you can install the OEM trans dipstick these came with until this gen.
Does that adding a dipstick include 2023 models with 6L90 6 speed trans?
Haver you performed this install? What can you share about install?
Parts, how is access hold opened up, verified accuracy etc?
Thanks

Last edited:
What can you share about install? Parts, how is access hold opened up, verified accuracy etc?
Thanks
They just removed the dipstick tube and put in a rubber plug that you're supposed to measure the level while hot running. Maybe on a lift but not in your garage. The stud that the tube mounts to is even in place. Verified accuracy using the dipstick and the procedure specified when these 6L90 trans came with one. Trans hot, truck level shift through gears then in park. You have to assume it has correct fill from the factory. Mine reads exactly full.

This link has the part numbers and install.

That is definitely not heavy towing what you are going to do. I would run the factory oil for 3 to 5000 miles and change it. I have a 2024 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 gas with a 10 speed transmission. I will be using Valvoline advanced synthetic 5W-30 and an AC Delco filter. I tow a 14,000 pound fifth wheel and I’m planning on changing my oil for the first time at 3000 miles.
I will use the PF 63 AC Delco filter. I used a UPF63R once on an older 6.6 gas and it developed a leak on the seam where the cap is rolled onto the can. I’ve been changing my own oil for 40 years now, and have never had a filter leak except that UPF63R.

Last edited:
That is definitely not heavy towing what you are going to do. I would run the factory oil for 3 to 5000 miles and change it. I have a 2024 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 gas with a 10 speed transmission. I will be using Valvoline advanced synthetic 5W-30 and an AC Delco filter. I tow a 14,000 pound fifth wheel and I’m planning on changing my oil for the first time at 3000 miles.
You’re towing a 14k 5th and only went with gas?

Back