9mm choice, glock or sccy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Is the Glock your wanting built in the good ol USA ? I doubt it.

Many Glocks are built in the US.

And while many high quality firearms are built in the US, some guns being built here are cheap junk. Not everything made in the USA is good.

AMC built the Pacer here, and I wouldn’t want to own one...

You see that "USA" stamp on the bottom gun? Glock has had their USA manufacturing line up for quite a while now. The majority of their guns sold in the USA and most of the parts are made in the USA now, from what I understand. Their are asinine import laws, so the small guns are not importable (42 size), so they HAVE to be made in America.

Glock-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: jstert
thanks to all for your input. i decided on a spanish milsurp star bm, 9mm, steel, single stack. heavy enough to absorb recoil for comfortable range use, thin enough to be a sometimes ccw. my centerfire handguns all remain steel, none polymer.

Cool RANGE and TARGET shooting gun. Its military surplus for a reason. Get a modern gun if you are serious about defensive use of firearms.

Can it be used for defense? Yes. Should it? I would argue that their are better options.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: jstert
thanks to all for your input. i decided on a spanish milsurp star bm, 9mm, steel, single stack. heavy enough to absorb recoil for comfortable range use, thin enough to be a sometimes ccw. my centerfire handguns all remain steel, none polymer.

Cool RANGE and TARGET shooting gun. Its military surplus for a reason. Get a modern gun if you are serious about defensive use of firearms.

Can it be used for defense? Yes. Should it? I would argue that their are better options.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Their are asinine import laws, so the small guns are not importable (42 size), so they HAVE to be made in America.

My 43 and 26 are made in Austria

Last edited:
Has the OP thought about a Kahr? I have three, and all are 100% dependable with the right ammo. No external controls and very concealable. I have two CW380's and a CT9. I carry a CW380 all the time.

thanks folks, some replies: i have heard good things about kahr, but it wasn’t right in the hand for me. i only “needed” a ten round 9mm, my 380acp is a makarov style russian ij70 with aftermarket “fab” grip (awesome setup). static defense and ccw usually mean different pieces to me. star bm 9mm should be fine for range and static defense based on my circumstances. i might ccw a star under a jacket, though my routine ccw must be small and i’ve already got ccw well covered. i put my charter arms pitbull 9mm on consignment sale at the same gun shop.

I could be wrong but last time I looked into it most glocks for the U.S. market were still made overseas. I know some are made here but the vast majority ? Every time I look into it the answer is tough to find. If even close to 50% were made here I think Glock would be anxious to advertise it. I’m guessing under 20% . And yes it matters MAGA

I could be wrong but last time I looked into it most glocks for the U.S. market were still made overseas. I know some are made here but the vast majority ? Every time I look into it the answer is tough to find. If even close to 50% were made here I think Glock would be anxious to advertise it. I’m guessing under 20% . And yes it matters MAGA

Regardless of where they are made, Glock is still a European company. All the profits are returned to Austria, not here. Much like Beretta. They're made in Accokeek, Maryland. (And are in the process of moving that operation to Tennessee). But the profits are returned to Gardone Val Trompia, Italy. Where the Italian based company is headquartered.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Regardless of where they are made, Glock is still a European company. All the profits are returned to Austria, not here. Much like Beretta. They're made in Accokeek, Maryland. (And are in the process of moving that operation to Tennessee). But the profits are returned to Gardone Val Trompia, Italy. Where the Italian based company is headquartered.
And HK, SIG, Walther, and FN, etc. Most of the higher quality, upper end pistols are not American "owned".

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Many Glocks are built in the US.

And while many high quality firearms are built in the US, some guns being built here are cheap junk. Not everything made in the USA is good.

AMC built the Pacer here, and I wouldn’t want to own one...

Was the Pacer a bad car or just a weird looking car?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
And HK, SIG, Walther, and FN, etc. Most of the higher quality, upper end pistols are not American "owned".

I get and understand that. All I am saying is just because you go out of your way to buy an "American Made" product today, doesn't make you go down as some type of American business patriot. It means little where a product is manufactured these days. It has nothing to do with it's quality. Or the individual who buys it thinking they are "helping out". By believing they are being more of an, "American", just because it's manufactured on our soil. As is often insinuated when these kind of things come up.

Honda cars are manufactured in Marysville Ohio. Hyundai's are built in Montgomery, Alabama. Toyota's in San Antonio, Texas. While some Fords are assembled in Mexico. So when people start questioning where something is made, I question what they are trying to establish by asking. Usually it amounts to nothing. Like it or not, we live in a global world.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I get and understand that. [...]
Bill - not disputing your thoughts and agree fully with what you are saying. I commented to augment your thoughts--meaning not sure what MIA means at this point in time and "most" firearms are not MIA or owned by American companies. For many years, almost nothing has been "made in America" despite the labeling to the contrary, we do indeed live in a global economy.

A lot of Glocks have Austrian manufactured parts, but are assembled here. It is done for a couple of reasons. One is to get around import laws that would otherwise prevent certain models of them from being sold here. (I believe the .380 caliber guns were among them). Another is that the Tennifer process that Glock slides are treated with, is banned by the EPA in the United States. (It's not really "banned". But the disposal costs of the chemicals used in the process are much too expensive to make it cost effective). So the slides are manufactured and then Tennifer treated in Austria. Then shipped here and assembled into complete pistols in Smyrna, Georgia. Or at least they used to be.

Since then Glock has started using other finishes besides Tennifer that are applied here. You can see the difference in the color and texture of the finish on the slides of the "USA" manufactured guns. The Gen 5 pistols have some other type of finish all together. (Called "nDLC"). Some argue it's not as good. Some have reported more rusting issues than existed with the Tennifer treated Austrian guns. All of my Glock's are Tennifer treated Gen 3 Austrian guns. And I will admit I'm more comfortable with that. If something is working well, I see no advantage with taking a risk with something else that might not.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Has the OP thought about a Kahr? I have three, and all are 100% dependable with the right ammo. No external controls and very concealable. I have two CW380's and a CT9. I carry a CW380 all the time.
I have owned a Kahr PM9 for about 10 years and it is reliable and is surprisingly accurate, the 147gn. 9 mm shoot superb in mine. I bought it used as a trade in from my friends gun shop. I am more impressed by the S@W shield . I prefer 9mm but have shot a 40 S@W as well. I should buy a Shield but I am gunned out.

Living in a global economy should be a tool used to promote the interests and financial position of U.S. citizens aka your neighbors. Not be used as an excuse to sell people out. I also don’t understand why anyone would denigrate the idea of buying American made products. What is it about patriotism that sets people off ? Whether we like it or not the world is a competition on every level. Protecting people’s jobs and futures is far more important than throwing your hands up and saying “Like it or not we live in a global world” A world without borders aka “Globalism” is a one way ticket to chains and poverty.

Living in a global economy should be a tool used to promote the interests and financial position of U.S. citizens aka your neighbors. Not be used as an excuse to sell people out. I also don’t understand why anyone would denigrate the idea of buying American made products. What is it about patriotism that sets people off ? Whether we like it or not the world is a competition on every level. Protecting people’s jobs and futures is far more important than throwing your hands up and saying “Like it or not we live in a global world” A world without borders aka “Globalism” is a one way ticket to chains and poverty.

I think you are over-reacting. I am way more patriotic than the average person. With your philosophy we would still be driving the pieces of junk cars the U.S. produced in the 70's/80's. Ultimately the U.S. produced the equal of foreign cars. The U.S. can and will compete without resorting to welfare (look what domestic welfare has done for U.S. citizens!)

For what its worth I jdo buy American when they offer a better product even if its much more expensive. I also use my local hardware store vs the big box store.

Last edited:
I also don’t understand why anyone would denigrate the idea of buying American made products. What is it about patriotism that sets people off? Whether we like it or not the world is a competition on every level. Protecting people’s jobs and futures is far more important than throwing your hands up and saying “Like it or not we live in a global world” A world without borders aka “Globalism” is a one way ticket to chains and poverty.

Because it has nothing to do with "patriotism", or "protecting peoples jobs". That's nothing but a total falsehood people today still drag around and cling to, in some abstract belief it somehow makes them more of an American. First off, in a lot of cases you have no idea where your product is actually manufactured. Not everything you buy is stamped, "Made Wherever". Partly because that whole definition has changed.

Secondly, what if both products are, "Made In America", but one is foreign owned? You can, "protect American jobs" by purchasing either one. If you buy a Ruger made in Prescott, Arizona, you are protecting the Americans who work in that plant just the same as if you buy a Sig Sauer made in their Exeter or Newington, New Hampshire facilities. So which should you buy based on your whole, "protect American jobs", mantra? The fact is it doesn't matter.

And even if you nix the foreign owned company, (Sig), in favor of supporting the flag waving American owned company, (Ruger). You're shafting Americans who own stock in that same foreign owned corporation. And that can be just as easily applied to any durable good such as automobiles, appliances, or most anything else. It is no longer a case of American companies employing, manufacturing, and assembling all of their goods here. While all of those, "fuzzy little foreigners" are busy screwing Americans over in every way they can by undercutting our jobs and corporate profits.

If American companies do not remain competitive, by responding to a ever changing economic global market, they'll wind up going under. Would that be better? Isolationism in business today will get you killed real quick. Our current sitting President is trying to change that by returning profitability to companies who both remain, and move back here, by lowering the corporate tax structure. And giving them other financial benefits. I hope he is successful. But to think that American goods will ever be 100% American made again like they were in the 50's, is foolish. That will never happen anymore than this country returning to a gold or silver currency standard. We would get killed economically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back