9mm choice, glock or sccy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks everyone, i appreciate the input! im going to pass on the sccy and look at a few gunshops further afield. yeah a gen 3 glock for $520 seemed oddly high. the sales clerk told me that “glock still makes gen 3 so it is brand new...” hmmm, really?

i love rimfires, probably have enough, but out of left field i realized that i could trade the charter towards 1/2 the cost of a new ruger lcr-x 3” 22lr. and i should mention that i can still shoot 9mm out of a ruger blackhawk or bond arms derringer, both of which are nice. my daily ccw is already well covered.

well, im rambling, sorry and thanks again.

Originally Posted By: Al
Glock 26 Holds 10+1
If you want to go smaller Glock 43 6+1

Glock 26 is what I carry. I recommend this one.

Glock. I used to despise them and now the majority of my arsenal is Glock (all G4 except for a G30s which is a G3). Many aftermarket accessories and parts as well as support. Proven platform that is tried and true--you could certainly do worse than a Glock. I find the G43 is too "sharp" to shoot simply due to the narrow grip forcing the recoil into the palm of your hand. Ten round magazines are available for the G17, G19, or G26 so pick the model that best fits you and go for it.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
In my opinion, an SCCY shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence with a Glock.

Agree 100%. That's like putting a Yugo in the same class as a Bentley.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
In my opinion, an SCCY shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence with a Glock.

Agree 100%. That's like putting a Yugo in the same class as a Bentley.

That might be a little extreme, but point made
smile.gif

I don't believe that the Sccy falls into the same category as the old cheap Bryco/Jennings/Raven etc. zinc framed pistols from the 60's and 70's. A less expensive pistol fills a niche, and as long as it is reliable, it can be useful.

A detailed description of your intended use for this pistol would be helpful.

Is it for CCW? Home defense? Range use?

If CCW, can you comfortably wear a double stack pistol IWB?

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
smile.gif
..... I don't believe that the Sccy falls into the same category as the old cheap Bryco/Jennings/Raven etc. zinc framed pistols from the 60's and 70's. A less expensive pistol fills a niche, and as long as it is reliable, it can be useful.

I agree to a point. I just don't like the attitude of an owner who is producing a known dangerous weapon. That can, and easily does discharge when dropped, or bumped hard enough on the back of the slide. And who knows this, yet still refuses to recall them to make it right.... Or in this case SAFE. He is asking for his own legal demise. I hope he gets it. The true problem is someone is going to have to get seriously hurt or killed in order for that to happen.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
smile.gif
..... I don't believe that the Sccy falls into the same category as the old cheap Bryco/Jennings/Raven etc. zinc framed pistols from the 60's and 70's. A less expensive pistol fills a niche, and as long as it is reliable, it can be useful.

I agree to a point. I just don't like the attitude of an owner who is producing a known dangerous weapon. That can, and easily does discharge when dropped, or bumped hard enough on the back of the slide. And who knows this, yet still refuses to recall them to make it right.... Or in this case SAFE. He is asking for his own legal demise. I hope he gets it. The true problem is someone is going to have to get seriously hurt or killed in order for that to happen.

Agree 100% on the Honor.

Glock.

As a wheel gun guy, you might also like the HK P30SK in the V1 "Light LEM" variation. It is DAO and there is a hammer you can thumb when you re-holster. I shoot LEM and DAO wheel guns mostly, and they compliment each other in terms of handling.

If you can rent them somewhere nearby, I would suggest shooting the guns you are considering. As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a better way of figuring out what you prefer.

Originally Posted By: jstert
yeah a gen 3 glock for $520 seemed oddly high. the sales clerk told me that “glock still makes gen 3 so it is brand new...” hmmm, really

Yes Glock does currently make and sell the Gen 3, Gen 4, and Gen 5, all at the same time. I've heard they might discontinue the gen 3 soon though.

What do you want to accomplish? Do you have a conceal carry permit? Are you going to conceal this pistol? Or is it just a gun to keep on the night stand, or perhaps in your glove box while traveling?

These discussions are rather pointless if you cant define what need you need to fill. There is a different gun for every need/occasion.

For conceal carry, some folks can conceal full size firearms. Most others find it easier to carry smaller firearms.

If you never plan on conceal carry, then a G19 size pistol or larger makes sense. Full size guns carry more ammo, are more accurate, and are more reliable in most folks hands than compacts.

Im not sure why you are stuck on these two pistols. Avoid the SCCY. Its a marginal pistol. 50 miles away from KelTec, owned by a former Kel-Tec employee. Its basically a Kel-Tec clone, which is not a positive.

I'm a Glock fan but dont forget to look at the Smith & Wesson M&P 9MM 2.0 (NOT the Shield), among other pistols. The redesigned pistol has a lot of fans, for good reason. and just last week (maybe right now?), you could get one for about $360 shipped online. Find a local gun dealer or pawn shop that does $15 transfers, and its a good way to save some money. I dont remember the retailer, but I know I have seen them well under $400 lately.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/198820

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Glock all day long. Sccy pistols are not even in the same league. They are more in the Hi Point and Kel Tec league.

Keltec class for sure.

I had forgotten about the double strike capability, but it does have that feature. I've been at our lake house most of this month for an extended holiday staycation, and I found mine stuck in the safe here.

Might take it back to the office and use it as a desk gun.

Whatever you buy, get the best quality you can. A weapon is a life insurance policy. If you ever need it, you are betting your life it will work. If you are not going to practice regularly get a 9mm. I love 1911's, S&w's, Colt Walther pp's, any of the old stuff, but I carry a Glock. Glock firearms work, out of the box, better than most anything out there. Try not to buy anything with an external safety, they will get you killed in a life or death situation. As always JMHO.

I own the following Glocks:

26-9mm-small frame- 10 rd mag
17-9mm-large frame- 17 rd mag
30-45acp-small frame- 10 rd mag
23-40S&W-midsize frame-13 rd mag

I have carried all at one time or another. I won’t leave the house without at least 10+1 chambered and ready to go. But, I have settled on the 23–the midsized 40 cal 13+1–as the best compromise of caliber, capacity and concealability. BTW, a point about the grip on the 26....it is intended for a two finger grip with your 3rd and 4th fingers curled under the mag to provide stability. It feels odd at first but works well. Interestingly, the 30 is the softest shooting (least recoil) of these pistols. Also, the first three are Gen3 and the 23 is Gen4. I prefer the features of the Gen4. Haven’t looked at Gen5.

Last edited:
I have a 19 anda 17 I have no problems concealing it ,and in the dog days of summer I will carry a ruger LCP380

glock maint is easy and if you have a problem or happening to be in GA stop by the facility , check your gun at the guard shack and a factory armorer will go through your weapon and replace any parts that are needed for free , test fire your weapon and ultrasonically clean your glock FREE is good thing

my glocks that I own have never failed to go bang and they digest just about any brand of ammo with no issues

Originally Posted By: odotb
Whatever you buy, get the best quality you can. A weapon is a life insurance policy. If you ever need it, you are betting your life it will work.

Best advice here. Don't try to save money on cheap weapons, that you might have to depend on to save your life one day. The money you saved isn't going to matter if it doesn't work when you need it to. It's hard to believe people will spend more on a dishwasher, than they will on a pistol that may one day be required to save their lives. Yet they do it every day. It all comes down to priorities and choices. With weapons that are to be used for personal protection, you don't want to make the wrong one's. Especially over cost.

thanks to all for your input. i decided on a spanish milsurp star bm, 9mm, steel, single stack. heavy enough to absorb recoil for comfortable range use, thin enough to be a sometimes ccw. my centerfire handguns all remain steel, none polymer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back