75W-90 Gear oil comparison

Looking for some input on different 75w-90 gear oils. It will be used on a 21 Subaru outback and 24 GMC Sierra 1500. I've used Amsoil severe gear before in the Subaru but just trying to stay away from Amsoil. Mobil 1 looks great but Pennzoil platinum has a better pour point. Vehicles are driven in MN winters. Mostly looking to stay with local off the shelf products. Just not much info out there on either of these brands with real world use.

Considering these below in 75w-90
-Mobil 1
-Penzoil Platinum
-Valvoline

In the Outback be more concerned with the front diff. It gets a much harsher service life. I used Amsoil for 100k and the front was looking roasted but the rear looked relatively new. No knock on Amsoil as their gear oil is solid. Granted, visual is almost meaningless. I did not do a UOA so take it for what you paid.

I replaced the Amsoil with Valvoline synthetic and moved to 75k changes instead of 100k. I'm also a long term keeper so it matters. You could always just do front and leave the rear for longer.

Go here: Gear & Transmission Used/Virgin Oil Analysis to see this

Mega 75w90 testing thread!​

I really think that data is neat, but in all honesty, as @dnewton3 has shared before: go to the P-R-I QPL for gear lubes that meet the J2360 requirements. Pick any of the gear oils that meets the viscosity you need, then find the one you can obtain locally at the lowest cost. It’s really that simple.

What's the pour point of the Pennz? I think Mobil 1 is -39ºC.

As a very general rule, I stick with M1 products. I've never been let down. That's saying a lot, as I've built a number of very high specific output race engines.

What's the pour point of the Pennz? I think Mobil 1 is -39ºC.

As a very general rule, I stick with M1 products. I've never been let down. That's saying a lot, as I've built a number of very high specific output race engines.
As much as I may dislike some of XOM’s historical business practices, I do admit that it’s highly unlikely that any of their M1 products will let anyone down in any application. They may not always deliver the absolute best in all facets of respective testing, but the overall resultant product will deliver solid, reliable performance. They’re definitely top tier for products you can buy just about anywhere.

Amsoil makes great gear lubes and it would be awesome if they signed a distribution deal with one or more of the automotive fluids retailers.

Valvoline and with those squeeze bags are fantastic. I bought one bag and just refilled from a gallon jug. Used Mobil 1 as well many times in diffs and worked fine as well.

Back