747 operates a ferry flight after loss of engine due to fire

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Pretty interesting story. A Aerostan 747 had an engine fire/ failure after departing Macau airport. At about 10k feet, one of the four engines failed. The 747 dumped fuel and landed back at Macau. After inspection, the 747 flew out of Macau with only three engines- a "ferry" flight to Biskek, for assembly a replacement engine.

This is the first time I have read about a commercial airliner being approved for takeoff with one of its engines not functional. Maybe this is common- I just never have heard of it.

This is normal. Boeing keeps crews trained to operate their aircraft in less than optimal condition. A 747 can also carry a spare engine under wing. This is just to move the engine from one place to another. It does not operate.
Possibly a 747 can be moved with just two engines, light fuel, no passengers, I don't know.

commercial airliner being approved for takeoff

If it isn't carrying passengers, there are fewer rules. Flights to get repairs are whatever risk the pilot is willing to take, usually in consultation with the manufacturer.

One of my lifetime long close friends flew 747s for UPS. I was always envious of his career. Just look at that picture. Absolutely gorgeous!

Scott

UPS_7478F_OnTail-LITE_1115_MR.jpg

Last edited:
If it isn't carrying passengers, there are fewer rules. Flights to get repairs are whatever risk the pilot is willing to take, usually in consultation with the manufacturer.
No not really. In order to execute a special flight permit a certificated mechanic must sign a release stating the airplane is safe for the intended flight. Yes, the pilot has to agree to it but it is really the decision of maintenance, not flight. And I can’t recall the last time we ever had a consultation with the manufacturer over issuing an SFP. The decision is made internally and the Director of Maintenance has overall responsibility.

This is common.

Our engineering test pilots used to ferry empty 747s with one engine inop to get it back to a maintenance base. When I trained them in the simulator, we used to do 3 engine takeoffs - it was part of the syllabus.

In the 747-400, when you lost an engine in flight, you would slow to about 0.82 Mach, drift down to about FL290, and continue. It would autoland with an engine out in CAT III* weather.

In other words, a 747 with an engine shut down still out-performs a lot of jets.

*CAT III autoland Is the most capable system that exists for poor visibility landing. most CAT III airplanes are good to 300’ visibility - and having done that, I can tell you that the system can handle it. It’s the subsequent taxi that requires the 300 feet of visibility. The airplane doesn’t know what the visibility is. But it’s really challenging to land at an unfamiliar airport (like I did in Paris one foggy morning) and navigate a complex set of taxiways when you can’t see very far at all. The 747-400 had a CAT III autoland system, but it was limited to 600’. I’m certain that was so you could taxi clear. Hard to see anything in the fog when you’re fifty feet off the ground…

Last edited:
For some reason the 747 is my favorite Airliner.
Mine, too.
Back in the '80s I had to make a business trip to Frankfurt, and at this time the company's history international travel allowed for first class airline accommodations. Being just 29 years old at the time (1982), flying first class on an international flight was seriously exciting stuff!

On my return I flew home in a literally BRAND NEW Lufthansa 747. I'll never forget boarding and being greeted by the best looking flight attendants on Lufthansa's entire payroll. I remember them absolutely beaming with pride while we boarded. I remember the plane having a new car smell. I vividly remember the first class lavoratory being so immaculate I could have sipped water out of the sink basin with a straw and not fallen ill.

I will never forget that flight.

Scott

Last edited:
We are authorized down to RVR 250 feet , or higher published minimums ( Cat 3 ).

In Canada, all Cat 3 approaches are minimum RVR 600 ( on approach plate ), so 600 is as low as we can go, runway visibility wise.

In the U.S, several airports we fly to have 300 published IIRC ( off top of my head, SEA, SLC, DEN and Portland , Oregon ) , so 300 is the lowest we could go , RVR wise.

B747 is a gorgeous looking aircraft and a thoroughbred to fly people tell me.

A380 is ugly but I bet passengers love it.

Last edited:
Thanks posting- the question is, why did Quantas choose to operate the Johannesburg disabled aircraft with four functional engines, which require a spare be brought and installed in South Africa, rather than fly the 747 with three engines to Syndey for the engine replacement.

Thanks posting- the question is, why did Quantas choose to operate the Johannesburg disabled aircraft with four functional engines, which require a spare be brought and installed in South Africa, rather than fly the 747 with three engines to Syndey for the engine replacement.
Ferrying an engine doesn’t require a ferry permit. That was a revenue flight to bring the engine and avoided a deadhead for the broken one.

Back