60 Minutes Nvidia AI segment

If you are watching 60 Minutes Nvidia with the robot choosing and handing the orange rather than the bag of chips, perhaps I can add a little color...
Bill Whitaker asks the AI robot to "Give me a healthy snack."
The robot is not programmed to do the task; it searches huge database to understand the question; decides on the orange, picks it up and gives it to Bill.
No specific programming... As the gal at the end says, AI is "not smarter than you" but can process very fast based on incredible amounts of data, and more...

Great stuff!

Jeff - what is AI?
Artificial Intelligence. This is what made Nvidia market cap double in 1 year, to $2.2T.

They developed a chip that allows for incredible speeds and data bandwidth.

From Nvidia:
"In its most fundamental form, AI is the capability of a computer program or a machine to think and learn and take actions without being explicitly encoded with commands. AI can be thought of as the development of computer systems that can perform tasks autonomously, ingesting and analyzing enormous volumes of data, then recognizing patterns in that data. The large and growing AI field of study is always oriented around developing systems that perform tasks that would otherwise require human intelligence to complete—only at speeds beyond any individual’s or group’s capabilities. For this reason, AI is broadly seen as both disruptive and highly transformational.

A key benefit of AI systems is the ability to actually learn from experiences or learn patterns from data, adjusting on its own when new inputs and data are fed into these systems. This self-learning allows AI systems to accomplish a stunning variety of tasks, including image recognition; natural language speech recognition; language translation; crop yield predictions; medical diagnostics; navigation; loan risk analysis; error-prone boring human tasks; and hundreds of other use cases."

From IBM:
"Artificial intelligence, or AI, is technology that enables computers and machines to simulate human intelligence and problem-solving capabilities."

Last edited:
Reactions: Pew
@Pablo... Think of a place on our planet that is underdeveloped, has few if any doctors and resources in general. Say there is a family member with a grave sickness. Someone cranks up a solar powered simple internet device and speaks to the situation. AI knows far more medicine than any single group, knows where the person is, their environment, what's current there, family tree, and tons more. Then sends a drone with medicine to save the patient's life.

I have coded linear regression curves on millions of rows of sales data using SQL to generate a "sales capacity" model, used to properly staff the world wide sales team and forecast the business. As we gleaned information from the results, we were able to learn and then hone the model, add in hiring plans and attrition, possible product introductions, and much more. This took years to develop. AI might accomplish this by asking a question because machine learning could aid the executive staff in making valid planning decisions.

AI is a big deal. There are exactly 4 companies with market cap in excess of $2T. Again, Nvidia doubled in the past year. It's a big deal.

Last edited:
I was in a restaurant tonight listening to an old guy repeatedly ask Siri to turn the flashlight on with increasing frustration. Finally after the third or fourth time it worked. I was waiting for "Siri, turn on the f-ing flashlight!"

I'm tired of hearing about A.I.

I was in a restaurant tonight listening to an old guy repeatedly ask Siri to turn the flashlight on with increasing frustration. Finally after the third or fourth time it worked. I was waiting for "Siri, turn on the f-ing flashlight!"

Siri is a virtual assistant; some call it AI. It is pretty bad, IMO. It works on programmed algorithms that do their best to respond to voice commands. I guess I would call it an early AI application but current AI, like Nvidia and Dojo chip, do not rely on programmed responses.

Siri is a virtual assistant; some call it AI. It is pretty bad, IMO. It works on programmed algorithms that do their best to respond to voice commands. I guess I would call it an early AI application but current AI, like Nvidia and Dojo chip, do not rely on programmed responses.

The guy was just trying to read the menu! 🤣

I'm of course all for more and faster computing speed, and really superfast data retrieval - which is what we are talking about. This has been faster than human thought for a long time now.

AI can perhaps at some point approximate human reasoning - but now it seems not best. Learning - well sorta, by trial and error, if the wrong path is eliminated..............but wait, only from that same line of task..........yeah not there yet

I have been watching videos (Youtube) of Ameca and another called Sophia.
It is really quite amazing.

Sophia is scheduled to give a graduation speech at a college of my home town.
Once the students found out, they started complaining.
Now there will be two commencement speakers. One human and one a robot. (true story)
I thought it would be funny if the (human) student walked and talked like a robot.

Last edited:

When did the 60+ crowd lose their ever-loving mind and start holding a cell phone up constantly and talk into it ALL THE FREAKING TIME IN PUBLIC???

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how dumb most of the entire population of the US has become in the last 10 years. I swear sometimes I'm the only one watching this stupid movie called life. I look around and 99% of the people I see in public are completely oblivious and most of them are holding a phone up in their face and talking so loud into it, you can hear them 100 feet away. All ages except the kids and teenagers and people who appear 45-55.

When did the 60+ crowd lose their ever-loving mind and start holding a cell phone up constantly and talk into it ALL THE FREAKING TIME IN PUBLIC???

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how dumb most of the entire population of the US has become in the last 10 years. I swear sometimes I'm the only one watching this stupid movie called life. I look around and 99% of the people I see in public are completely oblivious and most of them are holding a phone up in their face and talking so loud into it, you can hear them 100 feet away. All ages except the kids and teenagers and people who appear 45-55.
Wrong thread?

Plus makes zero sense. Oh well.

A key benefit of AI systems is the ability to actually learn from experiences or learn patterns from data, adjusting on its own when new inputs and data are fed into these systems. This self-learning allows AI systems to accomplish a stunning variety of tasks, including image recognition; natural language speech recognition; language translation; crop yield predictions; medical diagnostics; navigation; loan risk analysis; error-prone boring human tasks; and hundreds of other use cases."

From IBM:
"Artificial intelligence, or AI, is technology that enables computers and machines to simulate human intelligence and problem-solving capabilities."

I think these two is what separates the intelligence part; the ability to problem solve and correlate in real world timing versus a glorified google search. We're stepping in the right direction though, with the ability to form coherent and understandable sentences with what the public current has access to.

Wrong thread?

Plus makes zero sense. Oh well.

"Everyone else is the problem except me"

Last edited:
"AI is a big deal."
I agree completely. Imo it is going to be the biggest influence/change/life altering thing to come about in our times, maybe in all times. People that are comparing Siri to AI aren't understanding that Siri is just a very primitive early attempt. I believe AI will eventually be indistinguishable to human thought and will change the world in a lot of ways nobody has even thought of yet. Both good and bad.

Reactions: D60
Back