60% ase mechanics say change every 3k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Seiko watch that came directly from toyota because of what I told them about why they are experiencing the sludged problem on alot of their cars.

also why did toyota changed their oil changes to 7500 mile oil drains if he is a master mechanic for toyota? bet he himself doesn't really know why he's seen so many engines sludged up. like stated above, being an ASE mechanic doesn't mean squat when it comes to oil as they don't teach them about oil.

Quote:

...being an ASE mechanic doesn't mean squat when it comes to oil as they don't teach them about oil.

Tell me about it. They really should go through some sort of a small course on oil. Especally if they are going to teach.

My automotive teachers are ridiculous, true quote "0 weight just doesn't have the sticken' power that you need, way too thin" Mind you that teacher is a Master Certified Tech, and has been so for years. It's so sad that people assume the first weight to be the weight at all times, like a straight weight 0 weight oil, which is wrong. ASE has really left a big gap in their certification, oil should be a part of that certification, but it sadly isn't. It's even more ironic that my teachers know that on startup most wear occurs, but they fail to realize the importance of a thin oil at startup, they only think about the engine needing an oil to protect at operating temperature. Seems most of them have been brainwashed over the years into the 3,000 mile oil change with DINO and a Fram filter. If you try to tell them otherwise they just smile and laugh at you like you know absolutely nothing. Also, a fellow student made a striking remark, I found it to be very interesting, "...it's just oil, so what?" Me as a BITOGer found that to be a very thought provoking statement.

The you should try to give your automotive teachers a link to Synlube, just to see their reaction. I guess they will have a heartattack, considdering the noise it made, when I brought it up here. This would be like if you were in the sixties, trying to inform people about the internet or mobile phones.

i love talking to old farts who change their oil at 3K, theres even some who do it at 1.5K. i tell them i change the oil in my car at 1 year intervals and i dont worry about the mileage. it really drops some jaws.
they assume my enghine is all sludged up so i end up showing them under my oil filler cap (which is nice and gunmetal grey).

I see sludged engines ALL the time at work. Whenever people stick with the 5-10k oil changes using factory GC oil and factory filters I never see a problem. Whenever people push it to 15-20k miles with regular oil in their turbo engines, they are sure they are buying a new turbo/cyl head and maybe even an engine.

Quote:

i love talking to old farts who change their oil at 3K, theres even some who do it at 1.5K. i tell them i change the oil in my car at 1 year intervals and i dont worry about the mileage. it really drops some jaws.
they assume my enghine is all sludged up so i end up showing them under my oil filler cap (which is nice and gunmetal grey).

yep, my fiance's grandfather changes his 2003 (?) Sonata every 3k...then again, he also has run straight coolant in ALL his many many cars over the years....don't even get me started on that...when i told him to add some distilled water next time, he was shocked LOL.

I'm running my at 5k with dino or synthetic....either way.

Quote:

yep, my fiance's grandfather changes his 2003 (?) Sonata every 3k...then again, he also has run straight coolant in ALL his many many cars over the years....don't even get me started on that...when i told him to add some distilled water next time, he was shocked LOL.

one of the old time lab instructors at my auto tech school thought that pure coolant was the only way to go. when i told him that i ran straight water and water wetter in my track car he had a fit. tried saying how bad it was, when i told him that most road courses do not allow cars to use coolant at all he said he had "never heard of such blasphemy". of course he also owned 3 mid 80s dodge daytonas and insisted that they were worth more because they werent Shelbys, because they were less desireable.

60% mechanics pay less than $5 a gallon for filtered black gold, and about $1.75 for a oil filter and say seeya in 3 months 3000 miles. they think they are making money, truth is they usually cant keep up with the volume. any real mechanic knows varibles always bite you when you are pressed for time.
I stick with more honest tactics that pay over the long term.

Gotta co worker who has 450,000 miles on his Toyota 4x4 pickup. He did 3,000 mile oil changes with Pennzoil. Can't knock the 3,000 mie oil change with results like that.

rsyvstr - You should put some straight coolant in a zip lock bag and put it in the freezer and show it to him! It freezes at about 9F.

Quote:

Quote:

Most if not all small garages lose money on traditional oil changes.

Yeah but they make up for it in volume!
laugh.gif
crazy.gif

Should not be saying this...I know a company that was running great profits, but towards the end of the financial year started huge production at ridiculously low costs.

The reason was that they wanted to increase "market share", and reduce the cost of production for the entire year.

lazaro - I still have issue with claims such as yours that there is any 'waste oil' in this process. I'm going to assume that this oil was recycled properly, so a good chunk of it, after processing, actually became new oil products, be it fuel, paving compound, or re-refined motor oil. This means that that much virgin crude wasn't pumped and used for this purpose - this oil got used twice.

How the heck is that 'wasting' oil? Would someone please explain this?

Well, the term "under utilized" would be more correct. Obviously, if you use oil longer before sending it down the line to the lower grade users, you're getting more out of the energy put into it. You could make the argument that oil delayed in getting to this downstream market will increase demand elsewhere for virgin product, but then it comes down to who pays the heavy freight as the intermediate process carrier.

Quote:

I hear you guys.....he's 83, pure Italian...how far do you think I'll get with him? LOL

My father-in-law is a 90 year old Italian. His favorite T-shirt has the following on it: "You can tell an Italian, but you can't tell him much!"

Quote:

Quote:

[ He has tried to convince some its a waste, but they won't listen and went somewhere else. They have been brainwashed.

yep...trying to convince my better half that 4k is fine (slowly move her up to 5k) on dino.

right now, i am running ST, with MC 5W-20 standing by for the oil change this weekend.

I am at 6,000 mile oil change intervals on Castrol GTX. What do you use?

Quote:

I have a Seiko watch that came directly from toyota because of what I told them about why they are experiencing the sludged problem on alot of their cars.

also why did toyota changed their oil changes to 7500 mile oil drains if he is a master mechanic for toyota? bet he himself doesn't really know why he's seen so many engines sludged up. like stated above, being an ASE mechanic doesn't mean squat when it comes to oil as they don't teach them about oil.

Bob, would you elaborate? I would love to hear the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back