6.7 Cummins primary fuel filter question..

I was changing both the primary fuel filter and chassis filter on my 6.7 Cummins

When I was installing the new mopar primary fuel filter the paper media bumped along side the engine and left a black smudge. Normally it wouldn’t concern me if the fuel was filtering from the outside of the filter to inside but I am wondering if the primary fuel filter filters from the inside out? If that’s the case there’s a dirty smudge on the outside of the paper media

I don’t see how it’s possible to get the primary fuel filter in without bumping something along the way.

And if it is filtering from the inside of the fuel filter to the outside, should I be concerned about contaminating my fuel system?

engine mounted fuel filter flows outside in...

they don't give you alot of room to get down in there for the filter, I usually use aan air hose and blow off any loose dirt before I relace the filters.

Only way you could sort get it down there with the aisin trans and not hit anything would be keep it in the plastic to the last second of insertion

The RFE equipped ones are a little easier due to the dipstick on the other side.

I truly wouldn’t worry about it I have done 100s of them and never an issue

It's fine. It's a double layered element anyways. Atleast the one for my 07 is. I think the inside layer only filters the water though I'm not sure

Back