5W30 or 10W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 Chevy Silverado with a 5.7L. The truck has 95,000 miles. The owners manual says I can use either weight as long as it's 0 degrees or above. If it's below 0, 5W is preffered obviously.

So, which should I use if it stays above 0 degrees and why?

I prefer 10w30, but you're in Wisconsin, so it's going to get cold enough for the 5w30. Could run 5w30 winter and 10w30 summer.

I have a '97 with about the same mileage. I run Maxlife 10W-30 year round and it gets down to 27F on early mornings during Jan. and Feb.

I've used Maxlife regular oil 10w-30 down to -15F without concern; engine fired right up.

But, I'd double check the cold cranking viscosity on the 10w-30's of your choice.

Well, being a fellow Wisconsinite, I would not use a 10w-anything at this time of the year. Both of the vans in my signature see 5w30 for the winter months. The faster flow at startup during the -10-20F or lower temperatures is worth it to me.

Maxlife 5W-30 and 10W-30 both have the same pour point of -38.2F; what would you guys say for the safe start-up temperature?
confused.gif

Quote:

Maxlife 5W-30 and 10W-30 both have the same pour point of -38.2F; what would you guys say for the safe start-up temperature?
confused.gif

I would look at the MRV and CCS, which of course are not comparable in that they are done at different temps for 5w vs 10w, though a tough and dirty rule of thumb I heard is to double the value when going from 10w to compare to 5w. I think you will find, pour points notwithstanding, that the 5w will pump and crank much better. In Wisconsin he will see sub zero start up temps easily anywhere in the state for probaby a month or more of the winter.

But I still prefer a 10w and so maybe he should run a good synthetic 10w in winter, and or get a pan heater.

Quote:

TallPaul, why are you big on the 10W's?

Just here to learn.

All else equal, the 10w30 has less VII. Also a 10w30 will generally have a higher HT/HS viscosity than a 5w30. Then part of it is I am old school.

I should add that I park outside and have a 125 watt pan heater for the early morning starts in 40 F or below temps.

Last winter I went with 10w40 and no pan heater and there were some nasty startups around zero F. And it doesn't get as cold here as Wisconsin.

Maxlife 5W-30 blend does much better on the CCS & MRV tests versus the 10W, even though the pour points are the same. For WI I would choose the 5W IMO but the 10W looks pretty impressive for a blend.

I'm becoming more of a fan the more I use the Maxlife blend. For $12 or a 5qt jug that's a pretty reasonable price.

The maxlife is only available as high mileage oil correct?

What would happen, if anything, to use maxlife in a non high mileage car? Say a 2008 toyota corolla with just over 4K miles?

Quote:

The maxlife is only available as high mileage oil correct?

What would happen, if anything, to use maxlife in a non high mileage car? Say a 2008 toyota corolla with just over 4K miles?

Your engine would immediately act as if it had 75,000 miles on it!

Seriously, nothing would happen. Perhaps it would fend of potential seal leaks very early? Who knows.

Emailed Valvoline/ashland asking the same thing I said above. Answer is as follows:

"There is absolutely no problems with using the MaxLife products in a brand new vehicle. The oil is recommended for older vehicles simply because of the seal re-conditioners and extra detergents, but the product also provides maximum protection for any type of vehicle".

I lived in Green Bay much of my adult life (go Pack !). 10w30 was the standard issue and I never had a bit of trouble with it. That's what all the garages such as GoodYear carried. With that said, you can't go wrong with the 5w30. GM seems to have gotten on that bandwagon big time the past couple years, so that's what I'd go with.

Using the Maxlife 5w30 in the wifes Toyota with 125k on the clock. Runs perfect with no Winter start up issues at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back