5w-20 QSUD; 8k miles; 09 Honda Fit; high Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
For comparison my Civic at 82k, 8.1k OCI had Si at 21 with paper filter, Al 11 and Fe 12. I would do one more UOA to confirm any trend, before deviating form Honda's recommendations on oil.

The filter part number difference won't matter. In fact, all Hondas (to my knowledge, Accord included) now spec the L14610 filter. I'm not sure of any still on the L14459...maybe that's the S2000 filter?

The only thing I will add is that k&n's absolutely do cause elevated SI, there are countless uoa's to support this. Obviously the filtering ability will depend on how much oil is on the filter, and how dirty the filter is. Maybe bubba experienced low SI levels since he lives on a dirt road, causing the filter to trap a decent amount of dirt, thus enhancing its filtering ability since filters filter better when they're dirtier.

Well the Si isn't as much of an issue anymore so I'll stick with the paper FRAM filter for now. I can always stick the K&N back in later to reevaluate.

Stupid question, but I'm curious about where the oil went. Did it get burned up during combustion cycles in the engine? Because there are no leaks or drips that I can see externally.

Also, the viscosity is actually higher at test time than my previous test with Honda dealership 5w-20, so theoretically I should be getting better protection,no?

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Also, the viscosity is actually higher at test time than my previous test with Honda dealership 5w-20, so theoretically I should be getting better protection,no?

Not enough difference between the two to have any effect IMO, the kv@100 is only marginally different.

Thicker does not automatically equate to better protection, once you reach the level needed anything more is of no benefit, however in this case especially with the high Al I believe your engine wants thicker. If you are out of warranty I'd try a good 5w30 in it and see what happens. JMO.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
IMO the aluminum means this engine wants a thicker oil for whatever reason.

I also recommend a more viscous oil, perhaps some Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 that isn't much thicker than a 5W-20.

Your latest oil analysis was over the cold winter months - right? Suggest another analysis at 5K and perhaps making that your OCI in a small engine (with a small sump capacity) that is overworked.

You have Al because you are running the oil too long. This is the reason I always do 5000 mile synthetic oil intervals with all of my cars. Once you get metals in your oil you can't get them back.

This is how people create their own oil burners under 100,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Stupid question, but I'm curious about where the oil went. Did it get burned up during combustion cycles in the engine? Because there are no leaks or drips that I can see externally.

The oil went right past your rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back