40k mile OCI pics

It doesnt look bad, but I could never do this even with a beater.

Granted the OP lives in Canada, but at least here there's plenty of great deals to be had if I wanted synthetic the cheapest way possible.

Heck, right now M1 has their rebate going on. 5 quarts of synthetic AMIR for about $12.

I'm the furthest thing from an expert, but I just have to chime in:)

1. XD3 is a very good synthetic oil. One of the best of the time period when you bought it (2004 or thereabout). Just because it survived 40k miles doesn't mean others would fare nearly as well.

2. Looking at the drips of oil hanging off the block (very scientific, I know) it doesn't just look dark, it looks opaque and grainy. I can't imagine putting it back in without a UOA. I would suspect high insoluble content.

The thought behind this experiment is interesting, but without some analysis, all we are getting is empirical data. That's fine but hardly useful for anyone else but you and this one engine. Have fun.

A UOA would be great for posterity and discussion. Otherwise most of us are just scratching our heads at your reasoning.
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: pitzel
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Maybe you saved $150 dollars on oil changes, but it did occur to you that maybe you wouldn't have to look for another car had you maintained it.

Not too sure how I could have stopped the rocker panels from rusting from the inside out, as happens on this era of GMs. But if you figure each oil change would cost me $50 (cash outlay on supplies + a modest amount for my effort), I've saved roughly 8 oil changes (w/7500 mile interval), or 23 oil changes (w/3000 mile interval) for between $400 and $1150.

Apply a 10% discount rate to such "cashflows" (ie: what a decent investment portfolio has returned since 2004), and you're looking at double those figures.

At 7500 OCI, that's 5-6 oil changes in 40k miles. A DIY'er can easily obtain materials way below fifty bucks(easily below $30) unless you get it at the grocery store. Hope you manage your "portfolio" better than your oil changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
A UOA would be great for posterity and discussion. Otherwise most of us are just scratching our heads at your reasoning.
confused.gif

I agree with this. I might even be pursueded to kick in a few bucks, if we can figure a way to do it.

We both know that a guy that is considering putting 40k old oil back in, is not going to pop for an UOA.

This is interesting and all but it really doesn't mean much to me pesonally because of the top offs and filter changes. It seems like there was just enough flow of new oil mixed in that it isn't that impressive to me.

As for the money.. At 30 bucks an oil change for 5.3 oil changes per 40,000 miles(@7500 mile intervals) is only 159 dollars. (okay we can round up to 6 oil changes
wink.gif
) so 180 dollars in oil and filters over 40,000 miles. I guess I'm just confused where the numbers of savings are coming from.

Even at $50/oil change for short 5000 mile intervals that is still only spending 400 bucks. Then subtract what you did spend on yours(initial oil change + top offs + filters) and I still don't see a $400-1150 savings. UNLESS you want to say your own labor costs are $100/hr..

Eh, I don't really at a benefit of going so far on the oil just to save a couple bucks. I watch for the clearance oils, so at $1 per quart for 5k miles the cost is extremely low. Grab a $4 orange can and the oil change is $9

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Eh, I don't really at a benefit of going so far on the oil just to save a couple bucks. I watch for the clearance oils, so at $1 per quart for 5k miles the cost is extremely low. Grab a $4 orange can and the oil change is $9

Agreed my local orsheln farm store had citgo conventional on sale for 99 cents a qt last month. Orange cans were $3.99. That is right at $9 for a decent 5-6k mile oci. One could have bought 10 oil changes for $50 assuming a 5 qt sump.

Stop by a rural king or an auto store and pick up house brand filters for $1.99 a pop. I could have well maintained that engine for 40k miles with less that $75 total with a little diligence.

If you try hard enough, its all very cheap.

Dont forget the Purolator made QS filters at Menards for $2 each too. They used to have the Formula Shell for $2 a quart, but they now only honor that price with rebates if that matters. They as well as K Mart have the Super S oil too.

Meh. To each his own. That's part of what makes this site so much fun, seeing how other people choose to do things. I'm going to continue doing my twice a year oil changes, but it's fun to see how someone else does a different interval and the condition of their engine (or at least the oil pan/oil pick up).

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

He's in Canada, and he wouldn't have found $1 per quart oil (clearance or otherwise) or a $4 orange can, even when he did buy this oil many years ago. Ironically, the oil that replaces the one he used, the current Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0w-30, is one of the best bargains available in the country.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
confused.gif

Yeah pitzel, how about a UOA? Since you are reusing the oil it should be no problem!!

Pitzel, why don't you re-post this on RedFlagDeals? The crowd over there would love it.

Seriously, it's impressive. I'm driving the same GM 3.1, and was thinking 15 kkm is a stretch... not anymore.

The engine looks very good and I don't see anything abnormal in the deposit and cleanliness department in relation to the OCI.
Lots of Toyota engines that run 5k mile OCIs look far worse than this and I don’t remember seeing any criticism about maintenance in those threads.

I remember in HS I worked at a grocery store and the butcher had a Cutless with the 3.1 where he never changed the oil. Kept the car 80k just added.

At the time it was not a $500 car, which is why I don't buy used vehicles.

Last edited:
I have taken to looking at the brake fluid reservoir, to ascertain if vehicle has been well maintained. If the vehicle has clear, light colored fluid there, chances are the owner has done the more important services, on a regular basis.

I it is dark and contaminated, no point in even looking at the oil. It might be fresh.......And the 20k oil was just changed out.

This post is weird. The engine does not look horrible. It definitely does not look excellent either. I just dropped the pan to change the oil pan gasket on my 122K Dodge Grand Caravan in sig. The bottom end looked significantly better than yours. No sludge at all on any parts or the pan, light varnish on crank, bearing caps, pickup, etc. I think the van got relatively indifferent maintenance before I bought it with 110K on it (no trans service, never been tuned up). I have done 3 4K OCIs with conventional 5w-20 since I had it, with some random top up oil and orange cans. I think you are trying to make a very debatable point rather than actually proving economical, sustainable maintenance practices. Is the engine still running? Yes. Is it almost certainly wearing faster than 7-10K OCI with conventional oil? Yep. Unless you perform a UOA, you are not proving that your technique is economical or sustainable. If your oil is full of wear metals or your bearings are full of debris, then this is not the right answer.

Back