40k mile OCI pics

I enjoy watching crazy YouTube videos sometime. There are many out there that either damage or flat out destroy a vehicle. One example is "redline for a good time", where an idiot redlines his car and laughs hysterically, sometimes until it blows.

Honestly I don't care. Its his car, and although I think its senseless and destructive, ITS HIS CAR. At some level I feel a little bad for the tortured machinery that is being abused, but ultimately, its just metal, glass, nuts and bolts. And it belongs to him, so I don't judge. 40K interval? So be it. Go to a 400K interval, if you can!

Originally Posted by gfh77665
I enjoy watching crazy YouTube videos sometime. There are many out there that either damage or flat out destroy a vehicle. One example is "redline for a good time", where an idiot redlines his car and laughs hysterically, sometimes until it blows.

Honestly I don't care. Its his car, and although I think its senseless and destructive, ITS HIS CAR. At some level I feel a little bad for the tortured machinery that is being abused, but ultimately, its just metal, glass, nuts and bolts. And it belongs to him, so I don't judge. 40K interval? So be it. Go to a 400K interval, if you can!

Short of doing UOA (which would cost me $30 a shot), I just don't see any reason to ever condemn the oil. If the oil hasn't worn out/sludged in 60k miles, net of the minor amounts I have to add for the 15-20kmi filter changes and a minor amount that leaks out through that front valve cover, will it ever? It had some significant exhaust work last year including a new muffler, and thousands of miles later, the tailpipe still hasn't been coated with visible carbon.

Its to the point where it'll go to the junkyard not because its worn or used up, but rather, because the family is too embarrassed to see me driving a 28-year-old car, lol.

While a cool experiment I have to ask why? I don't trust OLM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by D1dad

To save a bit of money, and prove that it works...

BTW, it looks like the pictures might not be embedded anymore of the most recent look under the valve covers:

https://imgur.com/a/vACAzAu 96k km's / ~10 years.

Originally Posted by pitzel
Originally Posted by D1dad

To save a bit of money, and prove that it works...

BTW, it looks like the pictures might not be embedded anymore of the most recent look under the valve covers:

https://imgur.com/a/vACAzAu 96k km's / ~10 years.

Hats off to ya. I guess at 46 I'm still stuck at the 3000 ,Ike or so oci. Although I just change when the manual says according to normal or severe. I did purchase an impala with an olm and according to the computer I can run this oil roughly 10k. That ain't happeneing. My grandad was a railroad mechanic and I was raised with the old saying. "Oils cheap engines aren't". I gotta hand it to ya for riding this out till the end though

I still have several liters of that XD-3 0w30 SL that I bought when it was all the rage on this site.
I don't know what to run it in. I may run it in my daughters 2008 Elantra or 2008 Corolla....

Originally Posted by pbm
I still have several liters of that XD-3 0w30 SL that I bought when it was all the rage on this site.
I don't know what to run it in. I may run it in my daughters 2008 Elantra or 2008 Corolla....

If not for the high phosphorous numbers, it probably could run great in all the modern stuff. And of course its great in the flat tappet motor I run it in. I figure the very long drain at least partially mitigates the higher ZDDP off-gassing. I'd be a bit scared to run it in a LSPI-prone engine though because of the high additive numbers, and the possibility of the OEM blaming the oil for such issue. If not for the high P levels, it probably does meet API SN.

Originally Posted by pitzel
Originally Posted by Lubener
Maybe you saved $150 dollars on oil changes, but it did occur to you that maybe you wouldn't have to look for another car had you maintained it.

Not too sure how I could have stopped the rocker panels from rusting from the inside out, as happens on this era of GMs. But if you figure each oil change would cost me $50 (cash outlay on supplies + a modest amount for my effort), I've saved roughly 8 oil changes (w/7500 mile interval), or 23 oil changes (w/3000 mile interval) for between $400 and $1150.

Apply a 10% discount rate to such "cashflows" (ie: what a decent investment portfolio has returned since 2004), and you're looking at double those figures.

I'm curious how often do you apply your rustproofing to this car? Or maybe you weren't aware that you were supposed to, or too stingy? I'm not sure if you have an air compressor but if you do you literally could have used the drained oil to spray the underneath and done free undercoating which offsets the $100 Max that you saved over 6 years lol.

Hello! I drive a car that will be 37 years old in January! I also had. one of those engines in a 2000 Buick century. I drove it over 210,000 miles before I sold it. Great engine! My OCI's were 9 to 10,000 miles. There was no oil used between oil changes. I say just keep Driving it!! Thank You, Bill

They were a good engine other than the intake gasket failures and the piston slap in some of them. The 3400 had the same intake gasket problems but less piston slap issues but more chance of head gasket issues.

This is a great experiment.

Pitzel, if I send you a Blackstone sample kit and a check made out to them, will you take a sample and pay to mail it in?

Back