3 ARX cycles, didn't do much, bummer..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
It's not unique. Saturn users also have limited success with altering oil consumption that's due to design characteristics. Their usage is for different reasons, but you can't compensate for design flaws. The most you could have expected is temporary relief, and even that would be questionable.

Not so fast. I've done the MMO piston soak on 2 Saturn 1.9L twin-cam engines. The first one had the dreaded clogged bleed hole in the timing chain tensioner and I could hear the chain slapping. It was also burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so. This engine got an overnight MMO piston soak and then 750 miles driven with 1qt of MMO in the crankcase. The chain slap stopped and oil consumption was reduced to approximately 1qt every 3000 miles.

The other 1.9L engine got the piston soak treatment overnight TWICE over the course of about a week. The remnants of the 32oz bottle of MMO were thrown into the crankcase and it was topped off with "whatever was cheapest at Autozone that day" conventional oil. It was driven about 1000 miles and the oil/filter were changed. On the next 5000 mile oil change using Mobil1, it was down only about .5qt.

Not the most scientific study, for sure, but I'm sold on MMO piston soaks working for the old Saturn 1.9L engines with gummed/coked rings.

Best regards,

Sounds like it worked Familyguy, and in fairly short order. I'm not a Saturn owner, but from what I've read I would think a pint of MMO at each OCI would do the trick in keeping these engines clean enough to stop some of the issues associated with them. The key would be to get going with the routine early on. Or once you're certain the engine is clean and working well, then start the routine to keep it running well. JMO

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
It's not unique. Saturn users also have limited success with altering oil consumption that's due to design characteristics. Their usage is for different reasons, but you can't compensate for design flaws. The most you could have expected is temporary relief, and even that would be questionable.

Not so fast. I've done the MMO piston soak on 2 Saturn 1.9L twin-cam engines. The first one had the dreaded clogged bleed hole in the timing chain tensioner and I could hear the chain slapping. It was also burning a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so. This engine got an overnight MMO piston soak and then 750 miles driven with 1qt of MMO in the crankcase. The chain slap stopped and oil consumption was reduced to approximately 1qt every 3000 miles.

...and you can do it again when the condition returns. As I said, you can correct a condition, you cannot fix a design flaw.

Bump.

Sprintman, you claim that the valvetrain/ie top of a cylinder head is "splash fed".

The original poster noted very good oil flow on the valvetrain with the engine running. I've noted this as well on every engine where you can see the valvetrain through the oil filler. On our Olds 88 with the 3.8L, it looks like Niagra falls under the oil cap when you give it some revs. Massive and constant oil flow.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
No product made period will clean up 'under the valve cover'. Again I ask where does this American obsession come from? I have asked every local mechanic I know about 'looking under the valve cover' and their comments are not repeatable here. I eventually realised it's a myth as no sane person will decide on a whim to remove the valve cover which takes an inordinate amount of work on any vehicle,

If removing a valve cover to see if the product is working is so stupid (us dumb Americans again!), then why is the Auto-RX website plastered with pictures of, you guessed it, engines with their valve covers off?
33.gif

Last edited:
And that is exactly what some of the photographs at the Auto-RX website show. Valvetrains shown before and after cleaning.

Like I said in the locked thread, I take pictures I see on the Internet with a grain of salt, as well as compression numbers, or anything else for that matter. It all depends on who posts them, some people have an agenda. Sorry it must be a USA, NY thing with me.

Now I believe what Familyguy posted above, why? Because this NY'er feels he has no agenda. JMO

I don't know how well we dare trust the photographs at the Auto-RX website. But they do post photographs. So people who are pro-Auto-RX but have some sort of problem against anybody posting before and after photographs of Auto-RX cleaning need to visit the Auto-RX website. They have such photogrpahs there!

I used the ARX, used Amsoil since 1000 miles. ARX was in after 100,000+ miles but my aim was to increase compression as the engine had become sluggish didn't have that kick. As far as cleaning sludge and varnish was not my objective, my engine is well maintained. I can't say for others that had negative results but it did work for me. My engine felt more response in the different gears, well worth the $25 in my case.

I really can't give any other opinion but from my experience.

You seem honest to me and you have a right to your opinion about whether Auto-RX worked or not. Thank you for posting.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
I used the ARX, used Amsoil since 1000 miles. ARX was in after 100,000+ miles but my aim was to increase compression as the engine had become sluggish didn't have that kick. As far as cleaning sludge and varnish was not my objective, my engine is well maintained. I can't say for others that had negative results but it did work for me. My engine felt more response in the different gears, well worth the $25 in my case.

I am glad auto-rx worked for you, but if it really worked for everyone else that used the product then arx would still be a sponsor here, I wanted it too work, I believed in the product, I used it for 24,000 miles, I think I gave it enough time, but I just found another product that was cheaper and just worked better.

I remember Pming a few members who were anti-arx and I was going to try and convince them that they were wrong, but I ended up realizing that I was wrong and they were right, sometimes when you here the other guys story it gets you thinking, always be open minded, always ask questions about whatever oil additive you are thinking about using.

Originally Posted By: c3po

I am glad auto-rx worked for you, but if it really worked for everyone else that used the product then arx would still be a sponsor here, I wanted it too work, I believed in the product, I used it for 24,000 miles, I think I gave it enough time, but I just found another product that was cheaper and just worked better.

I remember Pming a few members who were anti-arx and I was going to try and convince them that they were wrong, but I ended up realizing that I was wrong and they were right, sometimes when you here the other guys story it gets you thinking, always be open minded, always ask questions about whatever oil additive you are thinking about using.

Very few people who actually took the time to produce actual data have been disappointed with ARX. It is the people who subjectively judge the results are the ones saying it doesn't work. Coincidence?

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Very few people who actually took the time to produce actual data have been disappointed with ARX. It is the people who subjectively judge the results are the ones saying it doesn't work. Coincidence?

People who saw no results saw no results. When you pop a valve cover and still see junk after 2 clean and rinse cycles and a year or more time it is safe to say there were no results for a product marketed to clean an engine. Not everyone is looking for compression results, many buy it to clean and stop leaks. Many had no results and are letting people know. Just like you are letting people know MMO isn't working in your gas. Coincidence? Hardly.......

Auto-RX did seem to stop a seal leak on a car I used to own. I will say that-unless it was just coincidence that the leak stopped after I used Auto-RX. So I will say that much for Auto-RX.

But I am ready to move on. I will try some MMO the next time I change oil.

People who saw no results saw no results. When you pop a valve cover and still see junk after 2 clean and rinse cycles and a year or more time it is safe to say there were no results for a product marketed to clean an engine. Not everyone is looking for compression results, many buy it to clean and stop leaks. Many had no results and are letting people know. Just like you are letting people know MMO isn't working in your gas. Coincidence? Hardly.......

Notice the difference? I have taken measurements and have given MMO about 15k miles to produce results that should be apparent w/in a few hundred miles.

Others are bashing AutoRX after a couple hundred miles when it really takes about 10k to significant changes if there are changes to be had.

I'm guessing the scientific method is probably lost on you.

Notice the difference? I have taken measurements and have given MMO about 15k miles to produce results that should be apparent w/in a few hundred miles

I believe you stated in the Fuel Additive Section that you have lost 0.6 m.p.g. from your use of MMO, maybe you need to look at your spark plugs or you might be having another issue, I have seen a 1-2 m.p.g. increase with using MMO in the fuel, buy my reasoning for using MMO is to keep everything lubed in the fuel system.

Quote:

Others are bashing AutoRX after a couple hundred miles when it really takes about 10k to significant changes if there are changes to be had.

I am seeing users complain after maybe 1 or 2 Clean and Rinses with auto-rx, they are probably upset because they spent almost $50.00 or so on 2 bottles of arx and they did not see results.

There is a member who is seeing results within 500 miles of using Kreen, he did 2 arx Clean and Rinses and saw no results.

2 bottles of auto-rx is about $50.00
20 quarts of oil, assuming a 5 quart oil system, so we are talking about 4 oil changes, because we are doing a clean and rinse which is 2 oil changes followed by another clean and rinse which is 2 more oil changes.

20 quart times $3.00 a quart is about $60.00
4 oil filters, so 4 oil filters times 3 is about $12.00

A 2500 mile clean plus a 3000 mile rinse equals 5500 miles, do another clean and rinse which totals another 5500 miles and arx has been doing its thing for 11,000 miles.

So what is the true cost of doing 2 clean and rinses with arx:

1) Motor Oil = $60.00
2) Oil Filters = $12.00
3) Auto-Rx = $50.00 or so

So the true cost is about $122.00

What do we say to the guy who has just done 2 applications of arx and has not gotten the results they were looking for, do they need to do more applications, it seems to me that people might be spending a lot of money and not getting any results.

1 arx application = $61.00
2 arx applications = $122.00
3 arx applications = $183.00
4 arx applications = $244.00

Eventually you realize that the product has limitations, if you have seen no results after 2 applications then the chances are you will not see any results after 3 or more applications, every oil additive has limitations, it just seems that since arx is the most expensive oil additive that it has the most limitations.

I'm guessing the scientific method is probably lost on you.

And what is that supposed to mean? We see now who will be taking up sprintman's tactics in his absence (hopefully forever).

I believe that anyone who has a very dirty engine should read this thread and they can make up there own mind as to whether they should use auto-rx or maybe another oil additive.

Then again, this engine could be so far gone, that maybe no oil additive would have helped.

I know this is an auto-rx thread, but I am wondering if the OP had used Kreen, then maybe he would have had different results, I know that I am playing Monday Morning Quarterback.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
another arx success story
lol.gif

I have 4 actual success stories all on my own. It is amazing to read through the archives on this very site and see all the success stories where people even provided numbers, measurements, pictures, etc. confirming their success. Too bad the flamers on here don't take the time to go back and read those, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back