3.6 pentastar gen 2 cam failure

That's great time for that job!
The upper manifold is a pain to remove but I just did sparkplugs in it about 30k ago so procedure was still fresh in my mind. Just waiting on 2 more lifters to arrive at the dealer so I can smack it back together. My wife loves our '84 c10 but isn't a fan of taking it to Starbucks on cool mornings 🤣🤣🤣

Back together and in time. Just got to install valve covers and wait on the new coils to arrive

Attachments

• Snapchat-2052540291.jpg
    Snapchat-2052540291.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Snapchat-853555503.jpg
    Snapchat-853555503.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Snapchat-467090861.jpg
    Snapchat-467090861.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 52
Nice job, but if it was me I would be feeling like I just wasted the $ and time. That seems to be the normal disposable engine types that are now installed in most modern vehicles.

Nice job, but if it was me I would be feeling like I just wasted the $ and time. That seems to be the normal disposable engine types that are now installed in most modern vehicles.
A factory reman engine is $5200.
My parts and labor total was $1340
6 hours @$120($720)
480$ for rockers
$150 for cam

Either you work at a snails pace or value your time way more than I do

I agree. I'm just saying I would have been ready to not have that vehicle anymore. Nope 5200 for what could be a jasper job would be nuts. In both DIY fixing and 5200 reman situations the same junk parts that you found in the first place maybe failing some point in time down the road (reason for my first comments in above post). I'd be trying to off load it soon. But yeah great job you did.

I agree. I'm just saying I would have been ready to not have that vehicle anymore. Nope 5200 for what could be a jasper job would be nuts. In both DIY fixing and 5200 reman situations the same junk parts that you found in the first place maybe failing some point in time down the road (reason for my first comments in above post). I'd be trying to off load it soon. But yeah great job you did.
Or you know I could do something crazy like enjoy the paid off vehicle for another 90k miles before spending another minute $1000(worst case). Seems like a pretty good return on cost of ownership

You ignored an engine noise for 40,000 miles? Surprised it lasted that long.
Did Chrysler ...or whatever they are called now...admit to this issue and over a fix to it or a extended engine warranty because of the issue???

I don't subscribe to that philosophy either. "Hey, this car may cost me a few thousand in repairs, so I better go spend multiple times that amount on a different vehicle that could potentially breakdown just the same." Makes no sense to me.
but that failure should not have happened in the first place...Chrysler should have fixed the problem at there cost not you...

Did Chrysler ...or whatever they are called now...admit to this issue and over a fix to it or a extended engine warranty because of the issue???
If it was under warranty they would have repaired. However we will be joining the class action against them since this has been an on going problem with 3.6 since it was first released

Reactions: hrv
I don't subscribe to that philosophy either. "Hey, this car may cost me a few thousand in repairs, so I better go spend multiple times that amount on a different vehicle that could potentially breakdown just the same." Makes no sense to me.
It depends on the platform. On some platforms, it is time to cut your losses before they increase exponentially.

Back