Pentastar 3.6 lifter tick

I know that the 2014-2020 3.6 Pentastar engines have lifter tick problems due to bad rocker arms. I have a 2016. Do the 2021-2022 Pentastar engines suffer from lifter tick or is it too early to tell?

Our Pacifica hasn't experienced this yet at 92k miles w/Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 following the OLM since 40k. Probably on bulk oil following the OLM prior.

I thought the main issue with this and the pentastars were on the Wranglers.

Our Pacifica hasn't experienced this yet at 92k miles w/Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 following the OLM since 40k. Probably on bulk oil following the OLM prior.

I thought the main issue with this and the pentastars were on the Wranglers.
No, the Dodge Grand Caravans have this problem as well. There is a class action lawsuit regarding this issue. Chrysler does not have any upgraded parts. If you repair it, you just put in the same faulty parts. Just had an estimate on my GC. $3500 if they have to replace the cams (along with lifters and rocker arms).

The problem is the main pin in the rocker arm that the roller rides on wears down. This is one out of my wife's old vehicle. I replaced two of them between about 115 and 123k miles. I couldn't replace them all because they were on a huge backorder at the time, which is not surprising.

penta rocker.jpg

Here is the condition of the engine/underneath the rocker cover at the time. It was spotless.

penta cams.jpeg
penta vc.jpeg

The problem is the main pin in the rocker arm that the roller rides on wears down. This is one out of my wife's old vehicle. I replaced two of them between about 115 and 123k miles. I couldn't replace them all because they were on a huge backorder at the time, which is not surprising.

View attachment 147286

Here is the condition of the engine/underneath the rocker cover at the time. It was spotless.

View attachment 147287View attachment 147288
Did you have to replace the cam shafts or just the rocker arms? I’m thinking that I may just have my shade tree mechanic replace the rocker arms and lifters.

Did you have to replace the cam shafts or just the rocker arms? I’m thinking that I may just have my shade tree mechanic replace the rocker arms and lifters.

Just the rocker arms. Whether cams need to be replaced or not is basically entirely dependent on how long someone lets the problem go on for. If they keep going until they get misfire codes and what not, it's likely going to need them.

I know that the 2014-2020 3.6 Pentastar engines have lifter tick problems due to bad rocker arms. I have a 2016. Do the 2021-2022 Pentastar engines suffer from lifter tick or is it too early to tell?
What oil weight are you using? Can you slightly increase viscosity to reduce lifter tick?

There are 2 versions of the 3.6, the “regular” one used in everything across the entire line until 2016, and the “PUG” which was used in the 2016+ Durango/Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, and Pacifica/Voyager. Challenger/Charger/300 and Grand Caravan carried on using the older Pentastar. For what it’s worth, our 2018 Grand Caravan with 95k miles is still doing good *knock on wood*

They are are on the 5th revision for the older style ones, part 5184269AH.

Exactly way less 3.6 rams out there than 3.6 other vehicles. Also a lot of rams are being repaired by fleet shops as they are fleet vehicles and not being reported by DIYs

I’m following this thread because a camper van with this engine maybe in our future.

Is the issue due to poor metallurgy, incorrect oil specification or both?

Thanks.

I’m following this thread because a camper van with this engine maybe in our future.

Is the issue due to poor metallurgy, incorrect oil specification or both?

Thanks.
It is my understanding that it was poor metallurgy. But I could be wrong.

Why would anybody think that after umpteen years of the same stuff that FCA would suddenly care enough to change now.

Why would anybody think that after umpteen years of the same stuff that FCA would suddenly care enough to change now.
It is my understanding that there is a Pentastarvand a PUG, Pentastar Upgrade, that is used in other vehicles besides the minivan. I haven’t researched this thoroughly as I have switched brands for my transportation needs.

Back