3.6 pentastar gen 2 cam failure

Our 2018 durango with 93k

Updated gen 2 valvetrain with the new style intake lifters(basically a flat tappet hybrid instead of the gen 1 rollers)

Right bank intake cam has 4 wiped out lobes and 3 bad rockers. We bought this used and it has had a steady diet of premium motor oil and filter for the last 60k. Has had a minor tick for probably 40k with no noticible debris in the oil filter. Last week it started throwing misfires on the right bank.

The gen 1s had issues with the lifters eating the roller bearing then damaging cams. This looks like it had a bad cam casting to me then it destroyed the lifters.

I've included a picture of gen 1 vs gen 2 lifters

Unfortunately for us these lifters are $75 apiece vs the $6 gen 1. Camshaft was a reasonable $150

20230830_212732.jpg
20230830_212709.jpg
20230830_212704.jpg
20230830_212700.jpg
20230830_212646.jpg
20230830_212637.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You ignored an engine noise for 40,000 miles? Surprised it lasted that long.
A light tick on an engine known for a noisy valvetrain isn't really ignoring anything. Especially when nothing pointed to a problem or failure. Mind you this also was still pulling 19.9 mpg when we parked it the morning the multiple cylinder misfire code popped up

So the Rocker just slides on the Cam Lobes?

With DOHC arrangements.....Direct Actuated Bucket is best for durability. Direct Buckets & Flat Tappets spin in their borbores

Yes the gen one was a roller style and they had issues with the needles in the roller failing. This is a kinda hybrid flat teppet I suppose. If you ask me it's a step backwards.

Reactions: JTK
Paging @MattPersman

I've heard the head gaskets and blocks can also be an issue on the revised Pentastar.

Pretty normal to see 1 or more rockers gone on these engines even if driving normal. Not sure if it’s a step backwards other than price. It was able to make the high lift low lift vvt scenario

Also multiple and random concerns from them. Anything from just a misfire at wot redline to stumbling hard coming to a stop.

Yes, we are putting more head gaskets on these things as they age. Mostly so far seeing them on the Pacifica engines.

The engines like the first 3.6s don’t take well to over heating either usually loosing ring tension and will need an engine.

It’s a smooth fairly quiet engine that can get some decent fuel economy

Pretty normal to see 1 or more rockers gone on these engines even if driving normal. Not sure if it’s a step backwards other than price. It was able to make the high lift low lift vvt scenario

Also multiple and random concerns from them. Anything from just a misfire at wot redline to stumbling hard coming to a stop.

Yes, we are putting more head gaskets on these things as they age. Mostly so far seeing them on the Pacifica engines.

The engines like the first 3.6s don’t take well to over heating either usually loosing ring tension and will need an engine.

That's not what I want to hear lol

We put a head gasket on our Pacifica last year at 80,000 miles. The invoice says the put the right side on, but just noticed that the invoice also references the part number for the left and right side. Chrysler wrote us a check to cover it out of warranty.

My mom's 2014 Grand Caravan sits and only gets started maybe 4-6 times a year. Every single time it has the nastiest startup rattle.

Is the 2014 Jeep GC 6 cylinder a problem engine too? Mine is really quiet but maybe it's time to sell it if there are possible problems down the road. Currently at 83,000 plus miles.
That would be a gen 1. They have a diffrent style rocker prone to a bearing failure

What oil was used and oil change interval? Just comparing circumstances with our Police fleet of Dodge Chargers and the 3.6.
7500 oci and a mix of 5/30 and 0/40 euro oil. Idk about the first part of its life. Going forward it will be 0w40 mobil. Hoping the antiwear package helps

Other than this it has been rock solid for us. Hoping the HG doesn't become an issue in the future. Even if it happens we will keep the car, it has been amazing. I'm more than equipped/knowledgeable for a HG job

Back