3/4 ton engines--advise me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Not attempting to highjack you but did you consider the Dodge with the Hemi.
That motor is bulletproof, powerful but soooo hard on gas.
They put a heavier dutier motor in thier 2500s than the 1500s.
Lower HP but better longevity.

It's really just a "softer" tune...

Originally Posted By: sopususer
Another vote for the GM 6.0. The LS engines as a rule almost never seem to have problems well past 300K. (or beyond)

Absolutely true. The 6.0 is amazingly powerful. It hauls around our 9000+ pound service vans and still lasts longer than the van around it. Our longest lived go 500 k miles, but we routinely get 250k miles easy and still running great when sold...

Around here the big Fords are PSD ... be hard to find a gasoline 250/350 here ... GM there are plenty ... farmers, ranchers, oilfield folks know what gets work done.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
The 5.4's in the Superdoodies are the most underpowered weakest POS engine ever put in a truck. And that's when it's unloaded. The company truck POS-250 I have to drive gets loaded to the gills and I'm bumping redline trying to accelerate with the rest of the traffic.

Can't imagine how Ford managed to the the best selling heavy duty truck with the weakest engine in it's category.

That's funny, because my 5.4 does everything I ever ask from it with no problem at all. That even includes towing 10,000 lbs. It's not a race car, it's a work truck. You're not supposed to be able to accelerate with the rest of traffic when you're "loaded to the gills". The Peterbilt I drive for work doesn't accelerate with traffic either.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
The 5.7 383 HP & 400 Lb/ Ft Hemi plows snow & tows like a champ in my 2014 Ram 2500 HD .

Only complaint I have is it's a gas hog. I get about 8 mpg when I tow but gobs of power.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
OP, what did you end up buying?
I stalked his posts and it looks like he got a 2010 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L..

Hopefully he'll post back how he likes it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back