'22 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0 Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 2.5k OCI. High oxidation??

OP, if you’re in VA why would you ship to either company in Indiana when you have WearCheck in NC? Just wondering. They do GC and other valuable tests besides oxidation & nitration that give a better insight to the oil condition. 👍🏻

Other than that 3% fuel, which I have on good authority that 5% isn’t even really “that” concerning in reality, the report looks great.

Have you considered in-service UOAs where you draw a dipstick tube sample (or Stahlbus/Valvomax/Fumoto) and have it analyzed before it gets drained? This wouldn’t give you fresh oil, but it would help you determine the “safe” maximum OCI easier, if at roughly the same cost.

So here we are two weeks after Horizon processed the same sample I mailed Blackstone at the same time as the Horizon sample and nothing! I'm not surprised though. Blackstone takes forever to process samples. This along with the woefully inaccurate fuel dilution numbers is why I left Blackstone after 10+ years....🤦‍♂️ Anyone want to guess how much longer it will take for Blackstone to get me my report? I say one more week, so three weeks longer than Horizon. They are both in Indiana so location can be ruled out.😂
I had the same experience. I think it ended up 3.5 weeks for the Blackstone report to show up.

OP, if you’re in VA why would you ship to either company in Indiana when you have WearCheck in NC? Just wondering. They do GC and other valuable tests besides oxidation & nitration that give a better insight to the oil condition. 👍🏻

Other than that 3% fuel, which I have on good authority that 5% isn’t even really “that” concerning in reality, the report looks great.

Have you considered in-service UOAs where you draw a dipstick tube sample (or Stahlbus/Valvomax/Fumoto) and have it analyzed before it gets drained? This wouldn’t give you fresh oil, but it would help you determine the “safe” maximum OCI easier, if at roughly the same cost.
I'm not in VA. I'm in WA state. Horizon and Blackstone are both in IN. Horizon processes sample within 2 days of receipt, Blackstone 2-4 weeks after receipt based on past experience.

I like my Frankenblend results much better at 3.5 x the OP's mileage and it's a fuel saving 20 grade.

You were over servicing the engine during wear in. And the 0w30 ESP HTHS is too high for this design.

I would run majority Valvoline Advanced 5W20 with a qt of QS FS 10W30.- since the magical Magnetec is no more. And go at least 5K if you would accumulate those miles in four months or less. - Ken

17crosstrek_UOA_112919_8199mi.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4WD
I like my Frankenblend results much better at 3.5 x the OP's mileage and it's a fuel saving 20 grade.

You were over servicing the engine during wear in. And the 0w30 ESP HTHS is too high for this design.

I would run majority Valvoline Advanced 5W20 with a qt of QS FS 10W30.- since the magical Magnetec is no more. And go at least 5K if you would accumulate those miles in four months or less. - Ken

View attachment 187565
Specifically, what are you trying to state shows your results as superior? You have considerable fuel in your report as well, that's about the only conclusion you can draw. Both reports are "normal" and your conclusion that the HTHS is too high is ridiculous.

Specifically, what are you trying to state shows your results as superior? You have considerable fuel in your report as well, that's about the only conclusion you can draw. Both reports are "normal" and your conclusion that the HTHS is too high is ridiculous.
My family have owned and cared for many subarus; from the humble Justy 3cyl to the sporty 6cyl. SVX.

To your comments.

What is "considerable" fuel? When is "trace" or than 0.5% "considerable" fuel?

If you don't put any weight in relative wear rates then I guess there is nothing to see. I do understand that.
But there is often much hand wringing over wear metals.

My HTHS assessment is from experimenting with higher HTHS lubricant in the N.A. FB engine family and finding the drivability and engine response to be far from acceptable or to design target. Consider that a well-considered opinion.

Maybe my post was a bit "cocky" but I am proud of how this engine ran on my frankenblend, extending the OCI and the resultant excellent UOA results. Just something in my back pocket if Subaru took issue.

- Ken

I'm no where near as knowledgeable as some of you guys on here, however, I know Blackstone does not report fuel accurately. Having said that, the fact that your flashpoint is low even tells me that you have fuel in your oil.

My family have owned and cared for many subarus; from the humble Justy 3cyl to the sporty 6cyl. SVX.
OK, but you have also claimed, in your own words, to have experienced more engine problems, and failures, across a huge range of vehicles than everybody else on this site combined. For better or worse, this is always in the back of my mind when I read posts like this from you. Perhaps a bit unfair, but that's unfortunately how my mind works 🤷‍♂️ I say this not to demean or diminish you, but to hopefully help explain why I chose to reply to your comment.
To your comments.

Fuel needs to be properly measured by a lab that uses GC. Since you used Blackstone, that is not the case. A 385F flashpoint points to considerable fuel, regardless of Blackstone's inference methodology that results in them grossly underreporting it as "trace".
If you don't put any weight in relative wear rates then I guess there is nothing to see. I do understand that.
Yes, based on the extensive data and details by experts on this such as Doug Hillary. Small variances in PPM between similar applications don't matter. The tool simply lacks the resolution to produce useful data for this purpose. Gross variation on the other hand, can be valuable, particularly with a trending history. If you know what "normal" is for a given combination and note a significant departure from that, this can be grounds for further investigation.
But there is often much hand wringing over wear metals.
Yes, there is often much misplaced hand wringing over wear metals because people want the data to "mean something" more than it does, they want to use it as a divining rod to help them figure out the "best oil", which a $30 spectrographic analysis is incapable of, but that's not going to deter them from trying. Though I think we've made considerable progress on driving that point home in recent years.
My HTHS assessment is from experimenting with higher HTHS lubricant in the N.A. FB engine family and finding the drivability and engine response to be far from acceptable or to design target. Consider that a well-considered opinion.
So, it's opinion based on absolutely no hard science then. Perhaps @kschachn or @ZeeOSix would care to comment further on this specific subject, but I think we should generally avoid making these sorts of assertions without adequately prefacing them to indicate that they are opinion only. It helps when trying to ascribe the appropriate amount of weight.
Maybe my post was a bit "cocky" but I am proud of how this engine ran on my frankenblend, extending the OCI and the resultant excellent UOA results. Just something in my back pocket if Subaru took issue.

- Ken
I am inherently conservative when it comes to discussing additives and mixing, based on the knowledge I've garnered with respect to how oils are developed and tested. The odds are infinitesimally low that a superior product will emerge as a result of mixing two dissimilar oil formulas, while the odds are quite high that there will be a negative impact on some aspect of performance. While that impact may not be measurable outside a lab (IE, it's not visible to average Joe playing home chemist), it does warrant mentioning the oft-cited adage by @Shannow that absence of failure is not proof of performance. "Works great" or "It's super smooth" or other subjective non-scientific products of perception, readily influenced by desire, are not sufficient grounds upon which to base things.

You may not share my views here, and that's completely fine, but I think you deserve an explanation, so I've provided one.

ARCOgraphite: "My HTHS assessment is from experimenting with higher HTHS lubricant in the N.A. FB engine family and finding the drivability and engine response to be far from acceptable or to design target. Consider that a well-considered opinion."
So, it's opinion based on absolutely no hard science then. Perhaps @kschachn or @ZeeOSix would care to comment further on this specific subject, but I think we should generally avoid making these sorts of assertions without adequately prefacing them to indicate that they are opinion only. It helps when trying to ascribe the appropriate amount of weight.
IMO, highly doubt anyone behind the wheel could tell the difference in how the engine runs with a +/- a grade from the specified oil. It would be hard to even see the difference on a super accurate dyno unless maybe so if the engine was at WOT producing full HP output. Now if for some reason the VVT or similar systems were super sensitive to oil viscosity (which I also doubt), then could be something that's noticeable behind the wheel. I went from 5W-20 to 5W-30 in a highly computer controlled engine with iVVT, and detected zero difference behind the wheel in the engine performance.

If sample 5 is the latest, run lower calcium and higher magnesium oils in that DI engine.
If yours has a turbo, then for sure abandon this formula. You would be better-off running Mobil-1 EP in 5w30 Dexos 1
Just my opinion.

IMO, highly doubt anyone behind the wheel could tell the difference in how the engine runs with a +/- a grade from the specified oil. It would be hard to even see the difference on a super accurate dyno unless maybe so if the engine was at WOT producing full HP output. Now if for some reason the VVT or similar systems were super sensitive to oil viscosity (which I also doubt), then could be something that's noticeable behind the wheel. I went from 5W-20 to 5W-30 in a highly computer controlled engine with iVVT, and detected zero difference behind the wheel in the engine performance.
I spent many years professionally tuning vehicles in the carburetor/ mechanical distributor days, then later quit that for a full time Mechanical Process engineer career at Western Electric then Bell Labs.

Dynos don't record qualitative throttle response (jerk) or (typically) low speed part-throttle torque.

If you haven't experienced these effects in myriad vehicle trials, don't knock it.

If I only had my last vehicle on which to base an opinion, I, too, would say "not noticable" as with my little Ford 2 litre with an automatic one would be hard pressed to notice a difference.

I spent many years professionally tuning vehicles in the carburetor/ mechanical distributor days, then later quit that for a full time Mechanical Process engineer career at Western Electric then Bell Labs.

Dynos don't record qualitative throttle response (jerk) or (typically) low speed part-throttle torque.

If you haven't experienced these effects in myriad vehicle trials, don't knock it.
Bad throttle response can be caused by a lot of things, but I highly doubt just going up or down a viscosity grade (all other factors held constant) would cause throttle response problems. A dyno could however measure (if it's sensitive and accurate enough) any output power difference from just changing oil viscosity. There would have to be quite a difference in viscosity to actually see a power output difference. And it would be most noticeable at WOT, full HP output levels. Trying to measure the HP output difference at low throttle, low power levels would basically be impossible with any confidence.

If I only had my last vehicle on which to base an opinion, I, too, would say "not noticable" as with my little Ford 2 litre with an automatic one would be hard pressed to notice a difference.
So what vehicles do you think just changing the oil viscosity noticeably changed the way the engine ran?

So what vehicles do you think just changing the oil viscosity noticeably changed the way the engine ran?

Ain’t no way an engine will run “considerably different” from a simple bump in viscosity.

Perhaps if you go from a 0w20 and pour in 15w40 in the dead of winter, one might feel more drag (not as rev happy) while the oil is still VERY COLD but that’s about as far as it goes.

My 2014 Mazda 3 specs 0w20. I’ve been running 5w30 for YEARS. I’ve switched back to 0w20 during the winter months for kicks and giggles during some years and don’t see any difference in engine operation… just slightly louder ticks but I think the cold weather plays a bigger role in overall engine noise IMO.

Ain’t no way an engine will run “considerably different” from a simple bump in viscosity.

Perhaps if you go from a 0w20 and pour in 15w40 in the dead of winter, one might feel more drag (not as rev happy) while the oil is still VERY COLD but that’s about as far as it goes.

My 2014 Mazda 3 specs 0w20. I’ve been running 5w30 for YEARS. I’ve switched back to 0w20 during the winter months for kicks and giggles during some years and don’t see any difference in engine operation… just slightly louder ticks but I think the cold weather plays a bigger role in overall engine noise IMO.
I have the similar / same LF-VD 2.0L engine but with D.I. and higher static compression I stated in an earlier post that this engine was NOT sensitive to a grade bump. In fact it ran quieter and got BETTER fuel milage. I Bumped that one to 10w30 due to moderate fuel dilution with the direct injection and excessive noise. I usually go back to 5W20 in the Winter but the engine is too noisy when hot.
So this Fall I went with a 5W30.

Long stroke, low reciprocating mass, high piston speed engines with minimally controlled VVTi Seem
more sensitive than others. And Subaru FB family. The Mazda Ford is oversquare, Subaru EJ family was massively over square, now the FB is closer to square.

I try to footnote any technical articles quoted, then of course, everything else is a well considered professional opinion typically based on repeated experiences.

Last edited:
Just got my latest analysis back on my Crosstrek. This is the first time running Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30. Previous reports were running Schaeffer 9000 0W-20, but it became hard for me to obtain. I've heard great things about the ESP on here but I'm not sure I like it. Subaru calls for 0W-20 SN or SP rated I believe, but I thought I'd try the 0W-30 ESP, which doesn't carry that rating. I'm not liking the high oxidation and low TBN at such a low OCI. Any thoughts on this or should I be concerned? I've been keeping my OCIs short due all along due to the fuel dilution and will continue to do so. Wear metals otherwise seem very good other than a little AL increase, but it is not flagged. I also sent the same oil sample to Blackstone but they take about two weeks longer than Horizon to report back. I sent one to Blackstone because I wanted a particle count test done. Horizon won't do it on used engine oil. I'm testing different oil filters on the car. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Blackstone's fuel dilution number will be much lower than Horizons and unfortunately they don't test for oxidation or TBN for free like Horizon does so I won't see that on the Blackstone report. Should I switch back to the 0W-20 or keep running the ESP 0W-30, which I have a bunch of? I will post up a comparison of the Horizon and Blackstone reports once Blackstone gets around to doing my sample.View attachment 169274
Your Crosstrek has direct injection and needs a GF-6A SP oil to avoid low speed pre-ignition!! Go watch motor oil geek on YouTube why you don't want to use European spec motor oil on direct injection gas engines

Back