'22 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0, 2,771mi, Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, K&P reusable oil filter

Another stellar report using Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30. Also ran the K&P Stainless Mesh "35 micron absolute" reusable oil filter this OCI. Sent off the same sample to Blackstone and will have them do an analysis and particle count on this sample since Horizon won't do one on engine oil. Curious to see how it stacks up to my last sample particle count where I ran the same oil and OCI but used a Fram Ultra oil filter. I would expect the particle counts to be much higher with the reusable oil filter but we shall see. The numbers don't lie.😎 Last time it took Blackstone over two weeks longer to process my sample even though they were mailed at the same time. I expect nothing different this time around. I find it very annoying that Horizon keeps flagging the oxidation as severe, when it is the nature of the ESP. I emailed Horizon about this and I'm waiting to hear back. Last time, Blackstone flagged it as well but said that it could just be the properties of the oil.
IMG_2601.jpeg

Last edited:
What were samples 2,3&4? Just curious. Yeah not sure why OAI doesn't understand that some oils have a virgin oxidation value above 30 due to the presence of esters.

What were samples 2,3&4? Just curious. Yeah not sure why OAI doesn't understand that some oils have a virgin oxidation value above 30 due to the presence of esters.
Schaeffer 0W-20 full synthetic. They flagged titanium on the Schaeffer oil which was BS also because I verified with Schaeffer that the version I had, contained titanium as an anti wear additive. Their "new formula" does not. I ran out of the Schaeffer and got a killer deal on the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 so I loaded up on it. Heard about how great of an oil it is on here. Got 8 5qt jugs for $26/ea.😳

With how low the restriction is claimed to be for these mesh filters, I'm curious about whether there's any noticeable difference in how quickly oil pressure builds up on a cold start with this filter vs something like a FRAM Ultra. Any chance you could test how long the oil pressure light takes to shut off after a cold start with each filter, with similar oil temperature?

With how low the restriction is claimed to be for these mesh filters, I'm curious about whether there's any noticeable difference in how quickly oil pressure builds up on a cold start with this filter vs something like a FRAM Ultra. Any chance you could test how long the oil pressure light takes to shut off after a cold start with each filter, with similar oil temperature?
On this vehicle, upon cold startup, the oil pressure light with either filter goes off pretty much immediately. Surprisingly, I don't notice any real audible difference on cold startup with either filter other than maybe slightly less timing chain rattle with the K&P? The rattle is very short with either filter.

Our 22 Crosstrek always sounds to me like a dry startup. 16K. Factory oil and filter till warrantys over. Hoping it is normal. I need to try the "Flood Clear" pedal to the floor for a few moments first and see. Does yours sound like that? I'll try to post the sound, not sure if it will come thru.

Our 22 Crosstrek always sounds to me like a dry startup. 16K. Factory oil and filter till warrantys over. Hoping it is normal. I need to try the "Flood Clear" pedal to the floor for a few moments first and see. Does yours sound like that? I'll try to post the sound, not sure if it will come thru.
No because right when I bought it new, after the first oil change, I noticed when I removed the oil filter immediately after shutdown, even with an "anti-drainback valve" there was no oil in the oil filter! So, I installed this:
Expensive, yes, but it allows you to run a much larger oil filter and all the oil is retained in the oil filter. If you ever take the vehicle to the dealer, I would advise you remove it and put an OEM filter on so they don't have an excuse to deny your warranty.

Another stellar report using Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30. Also ran the K&P Stainless Mesh "35 micron absolute" reusable oil filter this OCI. Sent off the same sample to Blackstone and will have them do an analysis and particle count on this sample since Horizon won't do one on engine oil. Curious to see how it stacks up to my last sample particle count where I ran the same oil and OCI but used a Fram Ultra oil filter. I would expect the particle counts to be much higher with the reusable oil filter but we shall see. The numbers don't lie.😎 Last time it took Blackstone over two weeks longer to process my sample even though they were mailed at the same time. I expect nothing different this time around. I find it very annoying that Horizon keeps flagging the oxidation as severe, when it is the nature of the ESP. I emailed Horizon about this and I'm waiting to hear back. Last time, Blackstone flagged it as well but said that it could just be the properties of the oil.View attachment 185312
I sent in a sample a month ago. I called Blackstone and I was told that the received my sample and are just now getting around to testing. Supposed they are extremely backed up.

I sent in a sample a month ago. I called Blackstone and I was told that the received my sample and are just now getting around to testing. Supposed they are extremely backed up.
Yeah it's crazy how slow they are compared to OAI/Horizon and other labs!

The startup noise is common on the modern Subaru engines that have timing chains. It's probably due to a temporary lack of oil pressure at the hydraulic timing chain tensioner, resulting in too much slack in the chain. I don't think it's known to be a reliability concern.

On my WRX, the noise only happens when the engine overshoots the normal idle speed by a few hundred rpm on startup (a result engine tuning software changes in my case). Subaru could fix the issue at basically no cost with a simple software update that ramps the rpm up to the target idle speed a bit more slowly, as I've done in my tune. The fact that they haven't bothered to do this for the past 8 years probably means they're not concerned about it.

The startup noise is common on the modern Subaru engines that have timing chains. It's probably due to a temporary lack of oil pressure at the hydraulic timing chain tensioner, resulting in too much slack in the chain. I don't think it's known to be a reliability concern.

On my WRX, the noise only happens when the engine overshoots the normal idle speed by a few hundred rpm on startup (a result engine tuning software changes in my case). Subaru could fix the issue at basically no cost with a simple software update that ramps the rpm up to the target idle speed a bit more slowly, as I've done in my tune. The fact that they haven't bothered to do this for the past 8 years probably means they're not concerned about it.
Yup, I had Mike @ Rallisport tuning do the rev hang delete on this Crosstrek as it is a 6 spd manual. Rev hang was stupid! Way better driving experience now! At the same time I had him reduce the stupid high rpm revs on cold startup. That can't be good for the engine....Stock it would shoot immediately to 3000rpms or higher on cold startup. Emissions BS is the reasoning for rev hang and this. Now it goes to 2200rpms on startup. WAY less rattle!🤙

How is the car driven? Lots of short trips?
I would say her average trip is 15-30 minutes. We live about 1 mile from a 65 mph highway, and I impress upon her to let it warm up but being late to most things-well, you know.....I did explain the blue CVT light to her, and it's importance.

I've been tempted to remove the oil filter and see how full it is after sitting overnight. I guess I could just put it back on?

Yup, I had Mike @ Rallisport tuning do the rev hang delete on this Crosstrek as it is a 6 spd manual. Rev hang was stupid! Way better driving experience now! At the same time I had him reduce the stupid high rpm revs on cold startup. That can't be good for the engine....Stock it would shoot immediately to 3000rpms or higher on cold startup. Emissions BS is the reasoning for rev hang and this. Now it goes to 2200rpms on startup. WAY less rattle!🤙
If you wanted to limit the rpm overshoot even more and maybe eliminate the rattle, you can ask your tuner to retard the idle ignition timing by around 10 degrees above the target idle speed, and up to around 2300 rpm. It will work best if you also reduce the target idle rpm a bit so the timing can be retarded at even lower rpm.

The downside of doing this is that you'll get an occasional and brief backfire from the exhaust when doing a rev-matched downshift into that rpm range, at least on the WRX.

Well the K&N screen mesh oil filter seems no worse than others, if this is the first OCI using it. I guess the particle count from Blackstone will be telling. Did you also get the particle count done on the other filters?

P.S. - run this out to 4000 miles at least. Wear is minimal, viscosity is good, and TBN is 4.2. Wasting expensive oil, IMO, running it this short.

Well the K&N screen mesh oil filter seems no worse than others, if this is the first OCI using it. I guess the particle count from Blackstone will be telling. Did you also get the particle count done on the other filters?

P.S. - run this out to 4000 miles at least. Wear is minimal, viscosity is good, and TBN is 4.2. Wasting expensive oil, IMO, running it this short.
I have ran the K&P once previously but I did not have the particle count done. I did this time. Waiting to hear back from Blackstone. My last sample I ran a Fram Ultra filter for the same OCI and got a particle count done. I will post a particle count comparison of the two filters as soon as this latest one comes back. Should be as close to apples and apples as you can get. 😎 I loaded up on this oil when there was a huge sale on it last year. Bought 8 5 qt jugs for $26/ea. Hardly expensive but I get what you are saying and you are right. It could most likely go 4K no problem, even with the fuel dilution.

Back