2013 Subaru Outback 2.5L, 165K, Mobil 1 EP 0w-20, 13990 miles, Fram Ultra Filter

NO2

Fram Ultra filter. The short block was swapped out under the Subaru recall at 99K, and has 66K on it. Driving was mostly highway and rural roads, with 2K of towing. 5Q of M1-EP 0w-20, with 2 quarts of M1-AFE 0w-20 as makeup oil. Oil consumption was around 1Q per 6K miles.

13 OUTBACK-240219 redacted.jpg

Nice report in so many miles and consumption is very good. The 2.5 must be very easy on oil.

Looks really good for 14k miles. Adding the 2 qts helped a little on TBN etc. How many pounds did you tow for 2k?

Looks really good for 14k miles. Adding the 2 qts helped a little on TBN etc. How many pounds did you tow for 2k?
800 lbs unloaded to ~2K lbs loaded. It was a small U-haul enclosed trailer and we filled it each time on several when we moved. RPMs were kept under 3K except when merging, we drove around 62-65mph on the freeway to save the CVT when loaded. We even averaged around 22mpg! Great advice in the BITOG towing section.

Last edited:
800 lbs unloaded to ~2K lbs loaded. It was a small U-haul enclosed trailer and we filled it each time on several when we moved. RPMs were kept under 3K except when merging, we drove around 62-65mph on the freeway to save the CVT when loaded. We even averaged around 22mpg! Great advice in the BITOG towing section.
That's great to hear & your Outback engine handled it well. Thanks

It appears your 2013 Outback does not contain a GDI engine. Flashpoint and viscosity both held well for this very long OCI.
Mobil-1 EP (guessing Triple Action also) 0w20 is The Bomb. 🤤

I would be halfway into my 5th OCI at 13.9k miles. I am the BITOG King Of Oil Waste. 🫣

It appears your 2013 Outback does not contain a GDI engine. Flashpoint and viscosity both held well for this very long OCI.
Mobil-1 EP (guessing Triple Action also) 0w20 is The Bomb. 🤤

I would be halfway into my 5th OCI at 13.9k miles. I am the BITOG King Of Oil Waste. 🫣

Yes, an old fashioned PI engine with almost no annoying bells, beeps, and warnings. Subaru isn't selling my location data either. I'm hoping to keep it going for another decade, it still drives very well and just needs an infotainment upgrade to make it near perfect. Our '23 Outback (with DI 2.5L) is a lot nicer driving but probably won't last as long.

The 'triple action+' (whatever that is, seems to be a marketing rather that a technical phrase) seems to be working well.

Last edited:
Back