2021 Generac RG027 Generator - 48 Hours Total - 5W30

48 hour total runtime, second oil change with OE filter and Kirkland Sythetic 5W-30

First change here: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...ator-24-hour-break-in-oil-change-5w30.373192/

Here is the new oil report

1695778173484.png

Going along with what everyone is saying, I will probably go longer on the filter next time.

Last edited:
For reference, this is a liquid cooled 2.4L Mitsubishi 4G64 engine running at 1800RPM on Natural Gas

The ~24 hours over this yearly oil change interval was 2 x multi-hour power outages, and then just the weekly 12 min exercise runs. I often worry just a 12 min run isn't enough, and people often advise for a longer run to stop condensation in the oil, but I guess there isn't any!

If its at night, the math says its cheaper to run on generator power via NG than import from the grid (During the day I over-produce solar)

Now if only we could get a nice long outage and I could put some hours on it :ROFLMAO:
When we were building our house there were frequent power outages, pretty much every time it rained with any wind. Considering our house is sump pump dependent we got a standby generator. Shortly after we got the generator the power company came in and put all new wires and poles and in over 20 years we've had almost zero power outages.

One time there was an F1 tornado and as we drove back home from being out, the entire area was blacked out even the stop lights. I thought finally we would have a real use of the generator. But as we turned down our street everybody's lights were on with no outage down our street. Wherever the power lines come from for us they are obviously on a different route.

Shortly after we got the generator the power company came in and put all new wires and poles and since then we've had almost zero power outages

Similar story here, but I had to complain and make a PUC complaint for the utility to fix it. Off the transformer there are wires to mine and my neighbors house, but then a secondary that runs across the back of my yard to some other houses. The insulation had cracked and there were spots where both hots were exposed right against the bare neutral, and there was already a divot where it had arced out. Every night we would have 1-2 second blips of power on one leg or another when Possums would run across the wire.

Utility said "Its fine, they are all like that" to which I suggested they should then replace all of them, because we pay for that. After they refused I called again and they threatened to bill me $120 if I report it again, so I made a complaint to the city and to the PUC, and all of a sudden they rushed out to fix it! Since then, no problems. Even in high wind no outages

1695821757629.jpeg

1695821615342.jpeg

1695821633746.jpeg

Good to know. Here in AZ, APS is dreadful. The lines in my area are ancient. The wooden poles are bent at amazing angles also.

For reference, this is a liquid cooled 2.4L Mitsubishi 4G64 engine running at 1800RPM on Natural Gas

The ~24 hours over this yearly oil change interval was 2 x multi-hour power outages, and then just the weekly 12 min exercise runs. I often worry just a 12 min run isn't enough, and people often advise for a longer run to stop condensation in the oil, but I guess there isn't any!
Being in a warm climate near the gulf coast helps in this regard, I'm sure. 12 minutes is more effective at burning off condensation if you're starting off at 100F.

Back