2021 escape se transmission

Hi guys I use my 21 escape for courier work and at 121,000 miles my transmission is going out. Dont know what to do as i still am paying on the car. Dont know if I should go to dealer or find a shop to rebuild it?

Sometimes, vehicle manufactures have a campaign to fix certain things outside of the written warranty for free. They will often extend the warranty for X amount of years and miles. I spoke of it on here before, my younger sis had a transmission failure on her Subaru outside of the warranty, she took it to a Subaru dealer and the CVT was replaced free.

But with the miles on your Escape, I think you're out of luck, but anything is possible. If that transmission is new for that model year and you take it to a shop, it will probably be a first for them and something they don't want. I think a Ford dealer is your best bet.

Being you're in Royal Oak/Detroit. Ford engineers will dig into that transmission.

Have you had/done regular maintenance on the Escape tranny?
Maybe it needs a pan drop, filter/screen change and couple of drain & fills! 🤷‍♂️

As skyactiv mentions, there may be a campaign on your Escape tranny.
There is still currently a campaign to fix(not the tranny) but the rear lower lateral links on my 2015 Altima which was out of warranty. The campaign is for 2013-18 Altima's and 2016-18 Maxima's. And the warranty is for 120 months(10 yrs) no mileage limit from the date of purchase new.

You may want to call Ford Consumer Affairs(or whatever they call themselves).

Best of luck,

Last edited:
Hi guys I use my 21 escape for courier work and at 121,000 miles my transmission is going out. Dont know what to do as i still am paying on the car. Dont know if I should go to dealer or find a shop to rebuild it?
Found several auto transmission related TSBs that may apply to your vehicle. Know that a TSB isn't a recall, and a given dealer may or may not offer/be able to resolve the issue for you at no charge. Given some of the issues stated, and dates the TSBs were published...hope they do.

Some examples: may have been overfilled from the factory, resulting in aeration and overheating. There's one listed that gave approval to tear down and repair/replace, no mileages stated, though. I'd contact a dealer with TSB #s at the ready, present my case, and see what they say. I wouldn't necessarily mention the 'courier work' aspect, as that bumps into commercial use clauses. You just travel for pleasure a lot. ;)

When I was looking around- GM may not have had the 'best' rebuild but they had the best warranty which would trump anything else for this application.

Thanks guys. I did have the BG trans flush done at 40,000 and 80,000 also ptu,rear diff changed. Was in dealer once and they gave me the "its normal crap" then reset the adaptive learning tables. Did nothing. Now its worse bangs on downshifting and makes a screeching when coasting. I think trans is shot. Time for another appt!

Yeah. I'd bring up the numerous TSBs I mentioned earlier for sure. Seems to me that trans was a potential time bomb from day 1. Hope they do the right thing and at the very least cover half, if not replace for free!

Thanks guys. I did have the BG trans flush done at 40,000 and 80,000 also ptu,rear diff changed. Was in dealer once and they gave me the "its normal crap" then reset the adaptive learning tables. Did nothing. Now its worse bangs on downshifting and makes a screeching when coasting. I think trans is shot. Time for another appt!

You can also try having the TCM replaced, it may fix your issue. It should be integral to the solenoid/valve body.

Are there any codes?

You can also try having the TCM replaced, it may fix your issue. It should be integral to the solenoid/valve body.

Are there any codes?

Are there any codes?

Did the same place do the BG service both times? If so you might have a warranty with BG. Usually that’s a selling point that is not mentioned but I know valvoline for one does if you follow certain scenarios

Worth talking with that shop and having them contact BG about replacement they may cover some or all

We do that BG thing here for transmissions and it is just a pain in the rear. They made it unnecessarily complicated with 4 different part numbers of trans fluid. But someone, not in parts, is getting a kickback somewhere. I just have to babysit it and deal with it. So far we have had 2 vehicles brought in on a hook after servicing because the service writer picked the wrong labor op. Everyone is on notice that if I have to double check their BG snake oil part numbers, I am handing out genuine Motorcraft or Mazda ATF.

Back