Leakdown test - Exhaust valves leaking

I thought 10% leakdown was really good? Is this 10% purely from the valves, or total - ie you did a wet leak down.

Unless there was some other compelling reason to take the head off, I wouldn't personally.

FWIW - the instructions always say to do a leak down with the engine warm, but no one ever does.

I install many used engines, No choice than to do it cold....A good engine will return low leak-down rates.

I thought 10% leakdown was really good? Is this 10% purely from the valves, or total - ie you did a wet leak down.

Unless there was some other compelling reason to take the head off, I wouldn't personally.

FWIW - the instructions always say to do a leak down with the engine warm, but no one ever does.
That's ~10% total leakdown on a cold engine.
That's why I was asking, the results are good, but part of that leak is from the exhaust valves. On all but 1 it is imperceptible. On one I can hear it.

The engine is not in the car so no choice but to do a cold leakdown. In any case, I was only using a leakdown tester to keep the valve springs up while I took the springs out to change valve stem seals. It was due to this that I found the leak issue(?)

Valve guides worn can also cause valves to not seat squarely. If it was running ok with exception of oil usage (stem seals) button it up and drive.

Back