2021 Durango Hellcat Owners Are Mad Dodge Is Bringing It Back for 2023 -The Drive

we don't have the infrastructure in place to support a full-scale transition to EV from ICE. I'm sure we'll be seeing a much longer transition than expected.

I wouldn't be surprised if the hellcat spawns live on for another decade

They got it to meet emissions standards, that's all.

Even in 2021, they specifically said it wasn't a limited edition, and that they would sell as many as they could make in the small 6-month window they had. They were time-limited by emissions standards, but now they were able to make them meet the new standards.

Most Hellcats aren't daily drivers, and just like manual transmissions, there will always be a small diehard group to drive demand. They won't vanish anytime soon.
I have gone for quite the ride in a Hellcat Challenger. I love the car and engine. I should write the check to buy one, but honestly I am not that much of a car nut.

Lol, dodge folks. When the electric range is 500 miles or more and the cars can be had for under 40k, give me a call. The only way I would purchase an EV is if I could live with an 20% loss of range to make up for batter wear over a period of time since I drive 5-7k a year.

Why cry, they have a nice ride. Sorting of like crying because the lottery ticket you played didn't win.
Come all ye faithful

257DB6A4-AE73-45D5-9325-E05D18CA54B6.png

They’re also mad at Tom Bailey for cutting up the only known Durango Hellcat Redeye. Most of the people complaining about Tom have, at best, a R/T (that a Honda Pilot would keep up with) because the regular SRT is “too expensive” and they can “just slap a supercharger on the 5.7 to make more power than the SRT for less money”… and yet still be slower. And not have the big Brembo brakes… or any of the other SRT features.

I love Mopar’s, but man can the community around them be toxic.
C97C7B83-DC01-4688-9E6C-E30564835F28.jpeg

Same thing happened with Cadillac in 1976 with the Eldorado Convertible. Cadillac said:

"The 1976 Cadillac Eldorado was going to be the last convertible ever from Detroit--Cadillac even said as much in their ads--and could only appreciate in value. "It is the only convertible now built in America. And it will be our last." (source Haggerty)

Only then to reintroduce an Eldorado convertible again:

"In 1984, eight years after Cadillac built its last convertible, the division temporarily resumed production of a convertible version of the Eldorado Biarritz. This car was not an aftermarket conversion, but a Cadillac division built convertible offered for the 1984-85 model years. The car was 200 pounds (91 kg) heavier, featuring the same interior as the Eldorado Biarritz coupe. The 1985 model year was also the last for the aftermarket Eldorado convertible made by the American Sunroof Corporation.

Prior to the "official" 1984 and 1985 Eldorado convertibles marketed by Cadillac, some 1979–1983 Eldorados were made into coach convertibles by independent coachbuilders e.g. ASC inc., Custom Coach (Lima, Ohio—this coachbuilder turned a few 1977 and 1978 Eldorados into convertibles) and Hess & Eisenhardt. The same coach-builders also offered Buick Riviera and Oldsmobile Toronado convertible" (Source Wikipedia)

certainly, the massive team of lawyers at the mfg disposal will destroy any potential of this ever being more than a filing with an assigned case #...no?

Amusingly, my buddy that owns the dealership has one in white that he special ordered because it was supposed to only be that short run (unlike the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk). I'm sure he finds this funny.
Good for Dodge spurring sales of high profit vehicles and taking advantage of their tooling to keep it going.

Back