2020 VW GLI 2.0L 70k mi; Amsoil 5w-20 Euro 8k mi

I havent posted on here in many years, I have 2 UOA I wanted to share & get some opinions on. It looks to me the amsoil performed a bit better but I'm no expert. The amsoil I used was the 0w20 Euro 508

Screenshot_20240209_092217_Drive.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW this vehicle is driven about 70miles one way to work Monday thru Friday, mixed highway/city I usually turn off stop/start. I end up around 5000miles in a month give or take, Sometimes I drive my wife's car to split the miles a bit.

How was the engine noise on the skinny 508?

I had to add some 0W40 to quiet a 1.4T

I am of the opinion this series should be pretty clatter free other than the D.I. rail racket.

Reports look comparable but don't tell a tale of margin of safety - even when the line is crossed.

The values are too close. If you go to penny pinch, M1 kept a better flash point (which does not mean anything), and TBN has more Zinc.
But my take is both are well within the margin of error. Your commute is very easy on oil and engine.

How was the engine noise on the skinny 508?

I had to add some 0W40 to quiet a 1.4T

I am of the opinion this series should be pretty clatter free other than the D.I. rail racket.

Reports look comparable but don't tell a tale of margin of safety - even when the line is crossed.
It makes a bit of noise on cold starts below 50°F it sounds like piston slapping in the bores until operating temp. Then it quiets down. Side note* it Doesnt use any noticeable amount of oil, I have been considering running penzoil ultra 0w30 in the summer & mobil esp x2 0w20 in the winter. My local dealer was sending customers out with 5w40 castrol, After that I decline there complimentary oil changes.

Last edited:
- The wear and contamination values are fine; plenty of TBN left.
- There's no ability to use two single UOAs for a comparing/contrasting lubes; that's improper use of the tool
- That's a lot of weekly miles; presumably mostly highway commuting
- You can certainly stretch out the OCIs; 10k miles this time, then take another UOA. Probably can go out to 12k or 15k after that if all looks good. You might as well get the value from the Amsoil; it can certainly go much further than what you're doing now.

It looks like 5w-20 is perfect for your conditions. Sounds like it has some easy highway miles & it shows. Based on these two reports the 5w-20 had less wear. The reality is they are way to close to accurately compare any real difference between the two grades. Since you're in FL I see no reason for the 0w & if the 5w is cheaper then go for it. Thanks for sharing.

My local dealer was sending customers out with 5w40 castrol, After that I decline there complimentary oil changes.
Mine did that stunt also - likely to get rid of a vat of old juice. Car did not like that, it was very sluggish, and the sump ran hotter by approx. 10 deg. I had a stick with a very short first gear and it still felt l like I was pulling a motorbike trailer through mud.

Wait, which oils are these on the UOA? It's not clear to me which oil each column represents.

I was about to tease you but, after re-reading this thread:

Yeah, 508 <or> 5W20! Which one reflects that 8K report?

VAG 508 is not a 5w, and what is the 2/19/23 sample on the right column?

And, where did @edyvw come up with M1?

report.jpg

Last edited:
BTW this vehicle is driven about 70miles one way to work Monday thru Friday, mixed highway/city I usually turn off stop/start. I end up around 5000miles in a month give or take, Sometimes I drive my wife's car to split the miles a bit.
Can you provide an update on questions about which oil was run?
thx.

The mobil 1 Esp x2 508 0w20, The amsoil used was euro 508 0w20. Not sure why it says 5w20
The mobil 1 esp x2 was run for 6200miles
Amsoil was run for 8000 miles

Back