2019 Subaru Ascent - Valvoline 0w20 - 4229 miles on oil

1628161479493.jpg

Used 5 oz of Hy-Per Lube HPZ212 to finish off a bottle, no plans on buying more. The copper is high, but I will run a few more UOA's to determine a trend.

Zn did not skew results. I would stick with this OCI & oil and be done with it, towing or not.

Ypu have a perfect match and a happy medium.

Clearly the copper is from break in. This is not a disaster movie.
Thanks, I was thinking of trying ST for my next oil change to save a few dollars. Hoping the results are the same.

But then again why mess with something that's working, right?

Thanks, I was thinking of trying ST for my next oil change to save a few dollars. Hoping the results are the same.

But then again why mess with something that's working, right?
Nothing wrong with trying something different. You could always experiment with a different oil or go thicker.

How do you like the Ascent? Wife and I went to look at one but the local Subaru store only had about 10 cars in total, with zero Ascents.

None of this should be "break in" wear at this stage with 28K miles at the beginning of this OCI.

I would run a mixture of 2 qts Subaru Genuine 0W20 and the balance the Subaru 5W30. That is also a very high moly
oil. NO additives! Don't fret the cost, its equal to a couple of gallons of gasoline. And run the oil the full interval.
The copper is from corrosion of heat exchanger due to the oil formulation with the additive.

I would probably step up to 5w30 if I was towing in the summer.
I'd like to see the viscosity closer to 9cst.. that 7.13cst is going to be extra thin in a 260hp 2.4L turbo Gdi that is towing up a hill.

the only reason they recommend 0w20 is fuel economy. I'd be ok with losing .25mpg.
In the winter and not towing the 0w20 is probably ok.. but I'm not sure about this recent trend of thin in reasonably high HP turbo motors.

Betya the copper is from Hy-Per Lube, or at least not from bearings.

Valvoline alone should give confidence.

hmm never thought it could be from the additive, I stopped using it so the next UOA should show a difference then.

That copper would scare me. I'd think after 32,000 miles the engine would be long broken in.
I initially thought that too but figured I would run a few UOA to see any trend.

How do you like the Ascent? Wife and I went to look at one but the local Subaru store only had about 10 cars in total, with zero Ascents.
We love it, ticks all the boxes for us. Even though we had a new transmission under warranty it's been a great vehicle, lots of room!

None of this should be "break in" wear at this stage with 28K miles at the beginning of this OCI.

I would run a mixture of 2 qts Subaru Genuine 0W20 and the balance the Subaru 5W30. That is also a very high moly
oil. NO additives! Don't fret the cost, its equal to a couple of gallons of gasoline. And run the oil the full interval.
The copper is from corrosion of heat exchanger due to the oil formulation with the additive.
Good idea, I didn't even think about the additive causing issues (or at least raising the copper) with the oil cooler. I stopped using the additive on the fill-up after the UOA was taken.

POE could liberate varnish with a few PPM of contamination …
How much was put in ?
5 oz

I would probably step up to 5w30 if I was towing in the summer.
I'd like to see the viscosity closer to 9cst.. that 7.13cst is going to be extra thin in a 260hp 2.4L turbo Gdi that is towing up a hill.

the only reason they recommend 0w20 is fuel economy. I'd be ok with losing .25mpg.
In the winter and not towing the 0w20 is probably ok.. but I'm not sure about this recent trend of thin in reasonably high HP turbo motors.
(y)

Didn't Subarus of recent past always use 5W-40? There was a popular HDEO everyone in the Subaru community was using a few years back.

Yes, before Subaru switched to GDI engines SOME of their engines could accept Xw-40 to top off any oil lost due to consumption. You would have to go back at least a decade to find a Subaru engine that had Xw-40 as an acceptable oil to use to fill to capacity per the owners manual.

Yes, before Subaru switched to GDI engines SOME of their engines could accept Xw-40 to top off any oil lost due to consumption. You would have to go back at least a decade to find a Subaru engine that had Xw-40 as an acceptable oil to use to fill to capacity per the owners manual.
Unless you have a Subaru with one of the last EJ series engines that were still being offered in the STi’s when Subaru made the switch to FA and FB engines in everything else.

Regarding thicker viscosity, all Subaru manuals still state that thicker viscosity is required in higher temps to properly lubricate the engine. Although they define neither the thicker viscosity nor the higher temps.

I agree that the elevated copper is not from wear in. And I doubt it is from Hy-per Lube since ZRA doesn't contain zinc. No worries yet IMO but keep an eye on it

Page 440 of the Ascent manual:

NOTE
Engine oil viscosity (thickness) affects fuel economy. Oils of lower viscosity provide better fuel economy. However, in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine.

Unless you have a Subaru with one of the last EJ series engines that were still being offered in the STi’s when Subaru made the switch to FA and FB engines in everything else.

FWIW I have heard from some WRX owners who attempted to use oil heavier than recommended in their FA20F engines only to have a bunch of warning lights go off soon thereafter. I personally would not be against using something like a light 0w40 such as Mobil 1, Valvoline, or Castrol, Pennzoil, etc but just be forewarned that it might not work out as you would hope.

I am thoroughly convinced that Shell Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle 5w30 is one of the absolute best oils you could use in a Subaru TDGI engine, period.

Back