2019 shift lever in park, yet display is showing in drive, shift lever won't move

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
2019 f350 4wd just bought, truck gear shift is in park, yet display is showing truck in drive"M". Can't move the lever, can't start the truck, anyone have any knowledge on this?
PXL_20230616_153848145.jpg

Many Ford forums are showing this as a really common issue. "
Check to see if your brake lights are working or out. It could be that or the switch on the brake pedal is broken or out of adjustment.

There should also be some instructions in the owners manual on how to override the brake interlock."

Will it remote start if so equipped?

Are the brake lights working as @97prizm suggested?

I had a problem that gave the same message with my wife's 2019 Pathfinder some months ago. It was the stop lamp switch. The 2019 pathfinder still uses a mechanical / cable actuated floor shifter, which I'm assuming the column shift on this F350 is.

Update, Nukeman point me in the right direction. The truck is in manual shift mode. I can shift manually using the plus minus buttons, but can't get the truck out of manual mode

Will it remote start if so equipped?

Are the brake lights working as @97prizm suggested?

I had a problem that gave the same message with my wife's 2019 Pathfinder some months ago. It was the stop lamp switch. The 2019 pathfinder still uses a mechanical / cable actuated floor shifter, which I'm assuming the column shift on this F350 is.
Further update, truck is actually in neutral but shows in gear. I think Pimtec is on to something the trans release has been used,, but the tow truck driver doesn't know so off to the ford dealer

With no hydraulic pressure (engine not running), and not set to Park, almost any automatic will let the vehicle roll slowly as if in neutral. The only setting that acts mechanically, not relying on hydraulics, is Park.

That’s what I was going to have you check @GON, it sounded exactly like the cable had come off the ship most likely done by the tow truck driver to get it to the auction

Were you able to get the truck to show the correct gear position once you hooked the cable back up?

Reactions: GON
That’s what I was going to have you check @GON, it sounded exactly like the cable had come off the ship most likely done by the tow truck driver to get it to the auction

Were you able to get the truck to show the correct gear position once you hooked the cable back up?
Yes, worked flawless after cable hooked up. Wish the tow driver would have known to check. I gave the service writer a Benjamin to have someone look at the truck just for a second he gladly took the Benjamin but told me next week. So I just started looking myself. I have a flight out in a few hours, so I had to gear up this being a Friday afternoon, record heat, and nobody is going to want to help me. So I played everything conservative. But it all worked out. I drove the truck to the airport, in a Uber now to go get the rental car. Then get on the road and cancel the flight.

Finally, thanks to All for your help with the this thread. I am grateful. Especially want to thank Nukeman And pimtac, their two posts helped me connect the dots in a very time constraint environment.

Back