2019 Mercedes-Benz GLC63 AMG

I don't understand this trend to put a sedan type body on an SUV chassis. It looks odd. If you want to the ground clearance of an SUV then get an SUV along with the practicality of it. If you want a sedan body then get a sedan.
They started offering them in a coupe body style because people wanted them. Mercedes has them both in most, if not all of their SUV's, whilst BMW breaks it up. With BMW for example, the X3 is a traditional SUV, the X4 is the same platform, in a coupe. The X5 is a traditional SUV, the X6 is the same platform, in a coupe.

I was utterly blown away by how many SUV's Mercedes now makes, they've significantly expanded this product line.

I don't understand this trend to put a sedan type body on an SUV chassis. It looks odd. If you want to the ground clearance of an SUV then get an SUV along with the practicality of it. If you want a sedan body then get a sedan.

It's not really a trend. Before the GLC, there was the GLK, Mercedes just consolidated their naming convention a little. Before the GLE, there was the ML and before the GLS there was the GL. The GLK350 first came out in 2010 and a base price of 36.6k for the 4matic. By comparison, the E class 4matic was 51.1k. Probably more comparable to a C class sedan which started at $37.3k for the 4matic.

I agree that the GLE looks and probably functions a lot better, not to mention roomier.

Not a fan of the hyena rear-end designs found on the GLC, the X4 or X6 for that matter.

And here I thought I was the only one to have the incurable "you're always looking at cars to buy" disease. Sturdy diagnosis made by my RN wife :D
Agree but man it sells down here in Atlanta.

That’s why I’m critical of what Ram is doing … big “wow” factor for the interior … but too much screen goes down low.
high mount screens are an eyesore.

even vw/audi threw in the towel on the pop-up screen and they have 10x more interior design talent then the rest of the industry combined

even vw/audi threw in the towel on the pop-up screen and they have 10x more interior design talent then the rest of the industry combined
i already posted I don’t like this screen or Ram … and posted the side by sides and HUD that Cadillac does …

The HUD gets rids of the issue IMHO, but the way Mercedes has gone, with the wide screen + HUD is very appreciated. I also like the location of BMW's screen, which is higher, and wider, but not "up high" like the old Mercedes ones where they stuck out and looked goofy.

My e-tron had the double centre screens (stacked) and the HUD. The HUD was fantastic, as it meant you rarely needed to look down.

The HUD gets rids of the issue IMHO, but the way Mercedes has gone, with the wide screen + HUD is very appreciated. I also like the location of BMW's screen, which is higher, and wider, but not "up high" like the old Mercedes ones where they stuck out and looked goofy.

My e-tron had the double centre screens (stacked) and the HUD. The HUD was fantastic, as it meant you rarely needed to look down.

Oh yeah … but can you press a button … screen buzzes upward … and a S&W .38 appears ?

9434B028-CBE1-4C67-98D9-A8ADAF554C56.jpeg

Last edited:
the tacked on iPads are on their way out. Audi was the first to do this because they know how to make a functional interior, its copies weren’t so good.

this is the new s-class with the tesla screen
Straight out of Toyota.

Back