2019 Mercedes-Benz GLC63 AMG

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
My wife has seen this a few times on her way home from work so we decided to pop-in and give it look-over and test drive yesterday. Pictures are pilfered from the dealer's website, I didn't snap any during our adventure.

1628189166002.jpg

1628189187527.jpg

1628189197433.jpg

1628189227053.jpg

1628189214873.jpg

1628189251327.jpg

1628189260544.jpg

1628189268938.jpg

1628189290538.jpg

1628189301932.jpg

Size and space wise, this is the same platform as the Jeep I believe, and it shows. They feel INCREDIBLY similar. Dash and centre console fit the same, as does the leg area and the doors are remarkably similar. Of course this being a coupe, the rear section is a bit different.

Pros:
- The 4.0L twin-turbo V8 is intoxicating. It's a hair over 500HP (503 IIRC) and the boost comes on hard and fast. The engine note is utterly superb.
- The traction control, even in comfort, is very generous with what it allows you to do. Inducing wheelspin and a bit of a step-out on the rear is possible before it transfers more power frontwards
- The exhaust note with the Sport+ exhaust selected is wild, I'm very surprised for a stock vehicle how loud it gets. It cracks and pops as well as burbles with this mode selected, though you can very easily make it more sedate by moving it to Comfort.
- The seats are very comfortable, great bolstering, good materials selection
- The (surprising) analog gauges are very nice and very responsive
- The stereo is excellent
- Tri-position seat memory for both driver and passenger seat was welcome
- Heated and cooled front seats
- Generous trunk space
- Brakes were excellent. Not as crazy grabby as the SRT Brembos, but very confidence inspiring and excellent pedal feel
- Handling seemed very good, though I didn't have anywhere to really push it.
- Neat little unobtrusive runningboards are great for kids and short people

Cons:
- Infotainment system feels dated in terms of appearance
- No touch screen
- Menus are very deep and things are needlessly complex to navigate
- No analog HVAC controls, means going through what seems like a million menus to change something like fan speed. This is not the case on the BMW I'm currently driving or the Jeep.
- Small LCD screen in the middle of the cluster also feels dated when compared to the beautiful LCD's that BMW and Audi are using, or even FCA.
- No heated wheel
- No HUD
- No rear heated seats
- Very poor rear visibility (though I assume this is the case with any of the coupe body style SUV's)

All-in-all and extremely satisfying vehicle to drive, though it won't be appealing to somebody who wants a lot of electronic tech along with a wicked powertrain. The current body style GLE is far better in that respect with a huge sweeping LCD that does both cluster and dash duty and feels significantly less dated.

hmm do I smell a trade in?

I dislike how it appears they bolted a cheap tablet to the dash as an afterthought.. that style seems be be appearing everywhere.. but I dont like it.

hmm do I

I dislike how it appears they bolted a cheap tablet to the dash as an afterthought.. that style seems be be appearing everywhere.. but I dont like it.

Indeed. Doesn't help that the UI on that setup feels 10 years old either.

This "slapped on tablet" approach was very common in a lot of German cars since about 2015 or so. They are finally starting to move away from this incoherent design in the most recent models, thank goodness.

This is the example of the standard dash used across a lot of models. My wife's C300 has the exact same in terms of layout and center stack (Only difference is the design in gear shift lever).

We've experienced a lot of squeaks and rubbing sounds from the dash over the years. Climate control system isn't too bad. Big difference is that the adjusting the max fan speed under "Auto" requires using the up/down toggles rather than the left/right buttons on say a BMW.

Agree 100 percent about the command system. IMO it's not as intuitive as say BMW i-Drive.

hmm do I smell a trade in?

Ya. I don't like it either. It seems to stick out more with Mercedes because the "rounded" design elements clash with the squareness of the display.

I think the BMW design looks better in that regard. Of course the flip side is that the labor cost is astronomically high when it comes to replacing a screen which is integrated into the dash.

bmw_x3_30d_097.jpg

I agree that the GLE looks and probably functions a lot better, not to mention roomier.

Not a fan of the hyena rear-end designs found on the GLC, the X4 or X6 for that matter.

And here I thought I was the only one to have the incurable "you're always looking at cars to buy" disease. Sturdy diagnosis made by my RN wife :D

Just my preference but i like the GLE body or the E wagon bodies more than this.

I like it. Do you plan on carrying anything boxy that needs the traditional SUV shape? If not, fine.

I actually like the MB UI, I find it as intuitive as any and much better than the home grown one on the Rover previously. Big improvement.

My Wife is SVP&GC of a Tier2 that is involved in that space. She has a lot of respect for MB's operations and apparently they are recognized by the nerds in the industry as having the best tech.

Indeed. Doesn't help that the UI on that setup feels 10 years old either.
Both of our division Pres’s have those … but they have Aston Martin’s and Italian stuff too … I kinda like the sound of these over the crazy crackle from the (flat crank) red rockets …
Yes, those “glued on“ screens drive me crazy too … You basically have one you touch (and view) and one you view …
Why is something like this so hard (and HUD to boot)

C03434C5-F1DD-4B21-9487-08F1CFE58062.jpg

Back