2019 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GDI, 5,750 OCI PP 5w-20. Engine failed 5k later.

šŸ˜†šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£ they didnā€™t learn to avoid these Korean pieces of broken turds after the very FIRST engine failure???

They didnā€™t learn after the second engine failure and thought that maybe 3rd timeā€™s the charm and hoped it wouldnā€™t BLOW UP?!?! šŸ¤ØšŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

I recently did valve covers and a leaky oil cooler housing on an 09 Santa Feā€¦ What a terrible vehicle to work on. Every other bolt was a ā€œ*** were they thinking when they designed thisā€, moment. šŸ˜¤šŸ˜”šŸ¤¬

View attachment 201839

View attachment 201841

View attachment 201842

View attachment 201843

View attachment 201844
That is a poorly maintained engine.

Never tried M1 0W40 or QS Euro 5W40 (yet) in my 2017 Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine . Max OCI was 5K miles / 6 months , now Iā€™m in that 3.5K to 4K mile / 6 month OCI range with M1 5W30 EP or Valvoline Advanced 5W30 and high efficiency oil filter (Fram Ultra) . Top Tier Shell or Chevron regular grade seems to run fine in the 2.4L GDI (although premium grade seems to offer better power / response) .
I've used both. It's the M-1 that works better inside those Hyunkia four cylinder engines. I'm getting a sewing machine sound using Amsoil currently in the cold weather . When I used the QS 40w prior in 80-90 degree weather, my engine sounded like an old Royal manual typewriter journalist pounding on the typewriter keys.

Lordy-Lordy What would that Kia sounded like, had I reversed the application and used the QS in the winter?.... shaking a shoe box full of marbles? Sorry, I reminded myself why I quit using QS in 2004. So I tried it again in 2023 and will wait another 20 years to try it again.

Wait -never mind. I'll either be in my 90s and senile then, or I'll be driving a hydrogen-powered vehicle. I follow member Accent Abuser. I do believe / recall that he quit using QS also, immediately following the end of his vehicle warranty at 100k.

Our Hyunkia engines prefer Mobil-1 over QS. They like the Valvoline you used many times prior. I quit Valvoline for political reasons. But if you are OK with their new ownership, I suggest you move back to Valvoline, or go to Mobil-1.

Just my opinion and how different oils fare with my Hyunkia products. If your engine(s) need 40w, they will let you know. Doing a trial run is always a good idea. Accent Abuser is a smart Accent oil shopper. He has the opportunity to abuse, but doesn't really.

Last edited:
Back