2019 Honda CR-V 1.5T, Mobil 1 EP 0W20, 5,104 miles

even if you only drive highway, these cars will dilute oil with gas, maybe a bit less
Every time I’ve seen anyone point to a high mile example people said “well it’s a short trip issue, and the engine hasn’t been around long enough for people to rack up enough city miles to show the wear”.

BUT, if we’re now saying this affects highway cars only a little less, how do we explain this car surviving after being fed a diet of dealer mystery oil with ~10k mile intervals?

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/11/07/2022-honda-civic-250000-miles/

Every time I’ve seen anyone point to a high mile example people said “well it’s a short trip issue, and the engine hasn’t been around long enough for people to rack up enough city miles to show the wear”.

BUT, if we’re now saying this affects highway cars only a little less, how do we explain this car surviving after being fed a diet of dealer mystery oil with ~10k mile intervals?

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/11/07/2022-honda-civic-250000-miles/
Engines that run for long periods of time stay warm/hot. I think this is one of the reasons we often see high mileage engines with no issues.

Highway miles are much easier on the engine/drivetrain than city commute. I would bet that the fuel along with moisture will burn off on those longer runs.
However, there is still a fuel issue there. A highway mileage auto is going to go many more miles but there is more going for that car than just the fuel issue alone.
Easier on the transmission etc. Putting more miles on a vehicle in MN is going to be a bit harder b/c the rust will get it before the fuel issue does.
Point is there is more issues over time that will limit mileage on many engines in the north than say the south.
I think it's still reasonable to expect these Honda's to last 200-250k miles, in a non rust belt environment, if the oil was maintained at a shorter interval to keep the fuel contamination from going 5%+.

Last edited:
My 2016 Coupe is passing 130k and is still kicking. Early in its life the oil level rose on dipstick a bit in the winter but hasn’t lately.

My 2016 Coupe is passing 130k and is still kicking. Early in its life the oil level rose on dipstick a bit in the winter but hasn’t lately.
Still original injectors? If so, impressive.

Here's the UOA's for my Civic. It's been a while since my last UOA on this car, but I'll be doing another one next month/early August. Last two sample in the report, car only saw Costco premium gas. As far the oil level increase on the dipstick - never saw it since factory fill was c
1687807710207.jpg
hanged.

Of course their putting a plug on their own oil but there seems to be some testing they did to minimize wear under fuel, water, ethanol contamination in the oil & found that their Full synthetic along with the latest SP specification seemed to better combat this issue. It's actually good news because it appears to me that the OEM's & oil companies are well aware of the fuel delusion issues are formulating & testing new oil to minimize wear under these conditions.

"Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) have identified the critical need for a motor oil to properly manage water, fuel and ethanol. A mandatory performance test is included in the widely utilized API SP and ILSAC GF-6 oil specifications. The test is formally known as ASTM D7563 and measures the ability of an oil to emulsify a mixture of water and fuel for a prescribed length of time."

Back