2019 Honda CR-V 1.5T, Mobil 1 EP 0W20, 5,104 miles

Not necessarily. Wear appears to be normal and the vehicle is still in-warranty. Owner plans to stay with the current regimen (but at 5K drains) until the extended warranty expires in 2027.
See post #26. My iron level was slightly elevated.

Not necessarily. Wear appears to be normal and the vehicle is still in-warranty. Owner plans to stay with the current regimen (but at 5K drains) until the extended warranty expires in 2027.
Thanks for the update.

True but IMO Even more reason to dump the oil. Come warranty work Dont show them this UOA. We just don't know what the UOA would've looked like had there been no fuel delusion at all. Who wants to gamble future wear of 9% fuel delusion on a small sump?

Obviously, They'll most likely dump the car after the warranty expires so it's the next owner's problems. It may not be this run alone but keep doing this until 2027. I just can't stand these new fuel diluting autos. Makes me think of comparing them to a old out of whack carburetor. 🤣

Update:

I called Polaris and they said the actual fuel dilution is 9.2%.
Here's an older UOA of my 18 CRV. The oil level was high on the dipstick. Not super high, but maybe a few mm above the full mark. Same oil, even lower viscosity. I wouldn't be surprised if my dilution was about the same. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/2018-crv-28-4k-m1-ep-0w20-4-3k.353261/post-6076867

I'm really curious about my next UOA in October. I've seen zero increase on the dipstick since I switched to 91 octane.

Driving Conditions: lots of short trips
Maintenance Minder was at 30% remaining
How short are the trips? How many miles, how many minutes driving?

What state/climate? What months were most of the driving?

Just looking for information since we own a 21 CRV that showed some evidence of fuel dilution when it had really shirt trips early in its life. It gets longer trips this summer, will do an oil sample at next change.

How short are the trips? How many miles, how many minutes driving?

What state/climate? What months were most of the driving?

Just looking for information since we own a 21 CRV that showed some evidence of fuel dilution when it had really shirt trips early in its life. It gets longer trips this summer, will do an oil sample at next change.
Not entirely sure but probably under 5 miles for most. CA, climate was between 40-80F. Oil was in service for 7 months.

Fuel really doesn’t evaporate with highway drives. Even highway driven 1.5T’s will exhibit this level of dilution.

Fuel really doesn’t evaporate with highway drives. Even highway driven 1.5T’s will exhibit this level of dilution.
Thanks for the info. On the fuel evaporation, probably true, but short trips at cool engine temperature raises the percentage of total run time/miles where the engine (really rings) are cool and allow fuel to escape into the crankcase. Lets just say that it takes 5 miles for the engine to warm up enough to stop leaking fuel/air mixture from the cylinders into the crankcase and oil. If you only drive 5 miles each trip (leaking fuel for all of the trip), you are adding a lot more fuel in your 7000 miles than someone who completed the 7000 miles with 30 miles drives (5 miles leaking fuel, 25 miles hot and not leaking fuel).

My enginerd theory and understanding of the issue at least.

I will do a UOA of our 21 CRV that has seen only long trip this summer to see how the theory works out and inform a futre decision to possibly use 5w30 instead of 0w20.

Glad we have this forum to discuss and compare notes, the CRV forum site has banned the issue.

Back