2019 Crosstrek 2500 Mile Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I would imagine you'd still get noticeably better power with premium if Subaru can make an even slightly functional knock detection system...

For some reason I can't get the owners manual to load at the moment... but does it say anything like "87 minimum, XX recommended or something similar? The 5.7 HEMI's are like that, though I can't tell a difference between the 2.... but forced induction is a whole different animal and benefits far more from higher octane.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Have you ever been on an interstate like I-80 and one semi passes another on a slight grade? Takes a loooooong time. That is what current Subarus are like in the limited distance passing lanes on the Oregon coast and elsewhere. Taking every inch of that passing lane and have the RV's actually brake to allow the Subaru to complete the pass. I saw it time and again last week vacationing along the Oregon coast. I thought it may have been a one car anomaly or a certain Subaru owner mindset but have determined that the vehicles are dangerously under powered. No thanks. As far as the heads/head gaskets, pretty high percentage of failures after 100k miles. Pre-emptive replacement of the head gaskets may be advisable on some models if what I hear is not urban legend.

I realize you are a "Never Subaruer". But I really don't understand where you are coming from. Maybe you are thinking of 80's Subarus. HG can no longer leak on any subaru. They have separate coolant systems for the Heads.

Please don't make the mistake of making a Forester XT, OB, WRX, or Assent look bad on the interstate, you might just get your clock cleaned. There is nothing in the XT's class among non luxury SUV's that can match its performance.

But I digress no one here has indicated a car in XV's class that is more capable. I would love to know.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I am surprised we haven't had any WRX or STI drivers show up here to challenge the Subaru bashing!
As an FXT owner, the overgeneralizing has raised my dander a bit, but I have been trying to resist the trolling attempt.

The Ascent is supposed to be reasonably peppy for its size, but I was disappointed to read that the published power numbers for its 2.4l DIT were not that much stronger than those for my 2.0l DIT and I think even lacking a bit in the HP department compared to the slightly different 2.0l DIT in the WRX.
The salesman who helped us with test drives for my wife a few weeks ago told me that the #1 priority for the 2.4l engine was to have it run well on 87 octane. There are so many complaints about needing premium for the Subaru turbos that the decision was made to sacrifice a little advertised power to let drivers buy the cheaper gas. I would imagine you'd still get noticeably better power with premium if Subaru can make an even slightly functional knock detection system...

87 issue is pretty big among manufacturers. I think this is department where Mazda offers biggest clarity. Use 87=this much hp. Use 91=this much hp. Use 93= this much hp.
However, I am skeptical that Ascent hp numbers are all about 87. I would say it is combination of torque, weight, need to tow and the fact that it comes with CVT. I think bigger problem here is CVT, not 87.

Originally Posted by Al
Have you ever been on an interstate like I-80 and one semi passes another on a slight grade? Takes a loooooong time. That is what current Subarus are like in the limited distance passing lanes on the Oregon coast and elsewhere. Taking every inch of that passing lane and have the RV's actually brake to allow the Subaru to complete the pass. I saw it time and again last week vacationing along the Oregon coast. I thought it may have been a one car anomaly or a certain Subaru owner mindset but have determined that the vehicles are dangerously under powered. No thanks. As far as the heads/head gaskets, pretty high percentage of failures after 100k miles. Pre-emptive replacement of the head gaskets may be advisable on some models if what I hear is not urban legend.

I realize you are a "Never Subaruer". But I really don't understand where you are coming from. Maybe you are thinking of 80's Subarus. HG can no longer leak on any subaru. They have separate coolant systems for the Heads.

Please don't make the mistake of making a Forester XT, OB, WRX, or Assent look bad on the interstate, you might just get your clock cleaned. There is nothing in the XT's class among non luxury SUV's that can match its performance.

But I digress no one here has indicated a car in XV's class that is more capable. I would love to know.

In which way?

I'm new to subaru bashing due to recent encounters and some scattered hearsay knowledge. I can't speak to all models and engine combos only those that I have encountered recently. I am happy subaru has fixed its head/headgasket problems. I won't rule out a subaru in my future but only after thorough research without bias.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Al

In which way?

Just name a crossover (in the same class)that is better than the XV ..pretty straight forward..statement.

However, I am skeptical that Ascent hp numbers are all about 87. I would say it is combination of torque, weight, need to tow and the fact that it comes with CVT. I think bigger problem here is CVT, not 87.

The Forester XT CVT apparently works up to 330lb/ft of torque, so Subaru could clearly have pushed more out of the Ascent without the CVT slipping. I think it's more likely that they wanted to produce a reliable engine that doesn't require expensive fuel; the premium fuel requirement was one reason we didn't buy the turbo Forester.

Originally Posted by Al
Originally Posted by Al

In which way?

Just name a crossover (in the same class)that is better than the XV ..pretty straight forward..statement.

There isn't one. I don't know of any vehicle in the $22-$27k price range that offers as good of an AWD vehicle.

There isn't one. I don't know of any vehicle in the $22-$27k price range that offers as good of an AWD vehicle.

I would take VW Alltrack any day.
Good AWD, much better vehicle generally, outruns with its 1.8T that OB with 3.6. It is 2inches lower than Subaru, but by the time that obstacle comes, SUbaru CVT is going to give up anyway.

Originally Posted by emg

The Forester XT CVT apparently works up to 330lb/ft of torque, so Subaru could clearly have pushed more out of the Ascent without the CVT slipping. I think it's more likely that they wanted to produce a reliable engine that doesn't require expensive fuel; the premium fuel requirement was one reason we didn't buy the turbo Forester.

I think they lowered numbers due to the fact that Ascent also needs to tow 5,000lbs. There is no doubt hiking up hp is not an issue. But "apparently" works up to 330lb-ft is only apparently.

Good AWD, much better vehicle generally, outruns with its 1.8T that OB with 3.6. It is 2inches lower than Subaru, but by the time that obstacle comes, SUbaru CVT is going to give up anyway.

Better hurry up then. VW is going to stop making them.

So sorry edy.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Better hurry up then. VW is going to stop making them.

So sorry edy.

I already have Tiguan. Not sure why would I need Altreck too?

Its a dog..168 HP..I think not. Much better vehicle??? Less ground clearance, inferior AWD, not off road capable.....How is it "Better"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Al

Its a dog..168 HP..I think not.

Really?
VW Altrack Subaru Outback 3.6R

TourX?

More comfortable. Quicker. No CVT. But slightly less ground clearance.

As far as AWD, unless you're a Subaru junkie, most people will not care which AWD system a vehicle has.

Originally Posted by Al

Really?
VW Altrack Subaru Outback 3.6R

Strange probably needed turbo. XT Forester cleans its clock.

It is not strange.
There is too much difference between 3,600cc and 1,800ccm. Yes, turbo is better at altitude, but turbo also loses power at altitude. I know that for displacement, that 3.6R is not particularly strong engine, but still, that is a lot of engine. Only thing I can figure out here (and this is manual Alltrack, DSG is 0.5sec faster) is CVT.
Problem VW is facing is Audi. Put GTI engine in Alltrack, 235hp and 258lb-ft, and DSG, and you created in house competition between Alltrack and Audi Allroad. Not to mention that in Europe there is Passat Alltrack, which is size wise actually in Outback category, but again: Audi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back