HPL Euro C3 5w30 BMW N55 71k miles.

I finally got around to send in the UOA on this. A link to the interesting bits I found in my oil filter used for this OCI can be found HERE. Clift notes is that I found some material in the filter. The engine had been fed a constant diet of BMW LL01FE up to this point.

Tin (Bearings?) came in at 2ppm. Viscosity @ 100C came in at 10.8 vs 12.08 per PDS I presume if I kept going it would thicken up a little as I reached 10k miles. Going to do another UOA (LM 5w40) this summer (1 yr mark). I've only put 2k miles on the car since then.

Capture.jpg

You'd need to trend UOA to see how the Tin played out over a few changes. The other metals are low especially the Fe at 5 ppm...wow!
Little fuel, viscosity is not bad at all for a 5w-30 w/6k on it so no concern there. Great run!

Agree. Will do another. The mileage is almost exclusively highway.
I just went again to your posted link on the oil filter & the Tin could be from tinned aluminum that was found in the media. I'd say that could definitely be the reason you're seeing high Tin on this UOA. Hopefully, that was the last of that though & tin comes back down on your current run & after. Highway miles is really showing up on this report (low wear).

Last edited:
I don't believe the oil was close to the mileage for thickening, Oxidation is still low (about what fresh oil would be) and the base number is still up there.

Nice results. The lower oxidation value could be the older version. FWIW.

Last edited:
Was this oil obtained from HPLoil because their version is different.

No.

Nice to see another 4 series! Do you have have a tune or anything? I'm considering switching to HPL in me 4er.
Stock tune (MPPK) w/M-sport pkg. It seems people who tune their N55's are known to be looking at bearings prior to 100k miles. I'd rather avoid that for as long as possible. The car is my highway bomber of sorts and it hits 100 mph just fine.

Back