2018 Subaru Crosstrek

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know where that site got it's info from but a 6MT is standard for the base and premium model. I plan on driving my Impreza another five years and then getting a Forester. I have an early built 2.0 (Nov 2011) and never had any issue with oil consumption. I like how the new Crosstrek looks similiar in shape and size to it's predecessor unlike the new Impreza. I don't like how the Impreza looks smaller and it's lower by almost an inch.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
I don't know where that site got it's info from but a 6MT is standard for the base and premium model.

It's standard for the 2017 model, but what about the 2018?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Wife has a new 17 ( see my sig) No oil burning on this engine. It is NOT underpowered unless you are boy racer - and then you picked the wrong car. It is silly over priced for a tarted-up Impreza wagon.

The CVT works very well, it has a tiny torque converter that locks up immediately so you don't have the slush box effect from the saucy converter pumping losses. Not as nice as a dual clutch (PDK) but likely more robust.

The base forester is still the sweet spot for most car for the money.

When my wife was "bargaining" for the new Crosstrek, I sat in a new impreza.

There is now room for a six footer plus, though I find it curiously non-Subaru-ish. Redesigned Interior could be from a Honda Civic.

Main thing I notice wrong about the current crosstrek is also what was wrong about the base forester. Unrefined springing and damping. The rear is soft and bouncy on the crosstrek as if the compression damping is dialed way wrong on the soft side. On the forester the spring rates are silly-high and the compression damping is high also, resulting in a buckboard, nueck snapping ride. Unacceptable.
My cheap '14 Rogue Select has better seats, driving sightlines and ride.

The Crosstrek is on the all new Subaru Global Platform though that Subaru spent over $1B to develop. This has ridiculously high leaps of improvement, like claims of 50% or 70% or 100% increases in particular chassis metrics. Usually a new generation will only have like 15% or 25% improvements, so these increases are huge and should be highly noticeable.

So comparisons to the current or older subarus not on the global platform are not applicable. The only exception is the current new Impreza which was the first on the Global Platorm.
Anyone looking for a Forester or Outback should wait until those cycle through to the new platform as well, at least to see the improvements.

That being said, because the gains are so huge, there should be clearances on the older "obsolete" models as they roll off the production cycle as shoppers who did some research would have gotten the advice to wait.

Last edited:
I always see claims of big leaps in torsional rigidity etc from many makers for every new platform and they just don't pan out in many cases. New impreza long wheelbase for the class will feel LONG to some people.
No question The Impreza was too small for me(6'1"+, 240lbs), formerly though. It was named the class leader by many in its current iteration. Civic or Impreza? - Impreza in the snow belt NO QUESTION. The Marque provides a Big perceived Value, especially in a low trim price leader 5 door.How many dooh Dhads do you REALLY need? this is a car - not your couch - dummy
smile.gif

I recall driving the Ford Contour (Mondeo) MANY years ago and that platform was an eye opener. Only let down by a smallish rear seat for its class and slap together FORD build quality with lowest cost sourced componentry. Nice Engine and trans though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I do like that they kept the manual and made it a 6 speed!

The article states:
Quote:
Gone is the option for a manual gearbox.

I read a few articles that the base model would have a 6 speed.

6spd still doesn't have X-Mode. I don't think Subaru has any consistent, known electrical problems with their AWD.

"The Limited trim come standard with the CVT featuring a 7-speed manual mode function with steering wheel paddle shifters that allow the driver to control the transmission via seven pre-set ratios."

I drove the CVT WRX and loved it. I would get the CVT over the MT.

Wife has paddle shifters on the 17 premium. Its nice the converter clutch stays locked up so the shifting has a solid F1 kinda feel..

Cant be good for the CVT belt and pulley life if used often.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I do like that they kept the manual and made it a 6 speed!

The article states:
Quote:
Gone is the option for a manual gearbox.

The manual was nothing special in this. Another feeble attempt with meh clutch engagement etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back