2018 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: RetiredSux
A thicker oil (and 5W-30 isn’t that thick...) isn’t a bad idea. If anything, it can’t hurt.

I seriously doubt that it will hurt the engine. But it would hurt my wallet if for some reason there were a failure associated with the oil and the warranty voided.

Fair enough. Run a good 0w-20 until the warranty is up.

Yep, if you are worried about warranty, then the choice is obvious, a quality 0W20 like M1, PP or Edge.

Originally Posted By: GravelRoad
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Been using PP or PUP 5w30 since my first early oil change at 1,500 miles in the 2016 Outback with the FB25 engine. It will have 40,000 by next weekend. OCI every 5,000.

Chose 5w30 because it is recommended in some other countries that do not have CAFE.
Plus it is not short tripped. Usually 35+ miles twice a day at 75-80 mph.

I 'feel' it will protect a little better, but have no proof.

Why are you changing your oil so frequently?

Why do you think 5,000 mile oci is frequent?

3,750 severe, 6,000 max per OM. Drive about a mile on dusty gravel road 5 days a week.
Also easy for me to remember.
smile.gif
No OLM in this vehicle.

Still too frequent?

Because your driving conditions are just about ideal. I'd only change such good oil (PP, PUP) every 6k miles until the warranty was up, then I'd extend in a heart beat. The OCI used to be 7.5k; however, Subaru had some oil consumption issues and may have figured that cutting 1.5k off would lower the risk of the oil level lowering too much between intervals.

I drive 6k to 7.5k (the OCI was still 7.5k for my '14 Forester XT.)

My new-to-me Legacy will only see 6k intervals until the warranty is up, then I will be extending to 10k+, which I'm going to go out a very short limb and say will be very easily done.

Been using PP or PUP 5w30 since my first early oil change at 1,500 miles in the 2016 Outback with the FB25 engine. It will have 40,000 by next weekend. OCI every 5,000.

Chose 5w30 because it is recommended in some other countries that do not have CAFE.
Plus it is not short tripped. Usually 35+ miles twice a day at 75-80 mph.

I 'feel' it will protect a little better, but have no proof.

Why are you changing your oil so frequently?

Why do you think 5,000 mile oci is frequent?

3,750 severe, 6,000 max per OM. Drive about a mile on dusty gravel road 5 days a week.
Also easy for me to remember.
smile.gif
No OLM in this vehicle.

Still too frequent?

Because your driving conditions are just about ideal. I'd only change such good oil (PP, PUP) every 6k miles until the warranty was up, then I'd extend in a heart beat. The OCI used to be 7.5k; however, Subaru had some oil consumption issues and may have figured that cutting 1.5k off would lower the risk of the oil level lowering too much between intervals.

I drive 6k to 7.5k (the OCI was still 7.5k for my '14 Forester XT.)

My new-to-me Legacy will only see 6k intervals until the warranty is up, then I will be extending to 10k+, which I'm going to go out a very short limb and say will be very easily done.

Fair enough
smile.gif

Thanks for the response.

The subject owners manual specifies 0W-20 oil for "optimum protection". Realistically, will using 0W-30 in those engines afford better protection?

Call your local dealer and ask them what they use for their oil changes. I'm willing to bet it's a bulk 5w30. Subaru and Nissan use it here and the Sentra's and Altima's require 0w20

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tojo1968
The subject owners manual specifies 0W-20 oil for "optimum protection". Realistically, will using 0W-30 in those engines afford better protection?

Call your local dealer and ask them what they use for their oil changes. I'm willing to bet it's a bulk 5w30. Subaru and Nissan use it here and the Sentra's and Altima's require 0w20

The first few times I took my FXT in to a local dealer for oil changes, my paperwork claimed that I got 0W20 instead of 5W30. When I mentioned this to the SA, I got a blank stare until I mentioned that 5W30 was recommended for the turbo 4s (and is even on the fill cap) and was then assured that they "must have" used the correct grade.
Given that only the FXT, two flavors of WRX, and the V6 Legacys have the 5W30 recommendation, I wouldn't be surprised if most Subie dealers only have 0W20 in bulk and either dump the same in the "specialty" vehicles or keep small quantities of 5W30 around just for them.

Subaru engines have always seemed a bit fragile to me.

WHAAAAT? Based on what?
shocked.gif

This is pretty common knowledge in the automotive performance world. An EJ engine doesn't hold a candle to a similarly sized Toyota JZ/3S/RZ or Mitsubishi 4G/4B engine in terms of durability and strength. It's not even close.

WHAAAAT? Based on what?
shocked.gif

This is pretty common knowledge in the automotive performance world. An EJ engine doesn't hold a candle to a similarly sized Toyota JZ/3S/RZ or Mitsubishi 4G/4B engine in terms of durability and strength. It's not even close.

Time for popcorn.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Time for popcorn.

I hope I didn’t trigger too many subie owners lol.

To clarify, I was referring to factory strength. Not built-engine potential.

WHAAAAT? Based on what?
shocked.gif

Well since it's common knowledge and I've never heard of those other engines and their superior strength maybe I'm a little behind the times. I guess that I shouldn't even entertain the idea of taking my Crosstrek to the track for time trials due to this new morsel of knowledge. DARN! I shoulda' kept my '14 Mustang GT 5.0!!!!
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Time for popcorn.

I hope I didn’t trigger too many subie owners lol.

To clarify, I was referring to factory strength. Not built-engine potential.

What do you mean by "factory strength"? Our local "can fix just about anything" mechanic now buys Subarus. I asked him why. He said because he never sees them in his shop. Our 2 Subies are hardly the quickest machines in town but they are adequate which is all we need. In my previous sarcastic post I mentioned my 2014 Mustang GT. Although at times I miss it to tears, I didn't feel comfy with an aging muscle car and the inherent liability that comes with theme. Its rating was 420hp vs. 154 for my Crosstrek. In my daily driving of the Stang I doubt that I used 154 of that 420hp. So that 420 was a complete and utter waste on me. I'm gramps on the gas pedal.

I'm planning on going with Valvoline SynPower 0W20 and an OEM filter when I hit the first OCI on mine. I'll probably do a basic UOA from Blackstone, mostly out of curiosity about the factory fill.

If anybody knows the cheapest source for 6 or 12 packs of the Subaru filter for the FB20D (15208AA15A if I'm not mistaken) I'd love to know, btw.

Ebay: 12 Pack OEM Factory Subaru Engine Oil Filter & Crush Gasket 15208AA15A $66.50 shipped. ($5.54 each)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Pack-OEM-Factory-Subaru-Engine-Oil-Filter-Crush-Gasket-15208AA15A-KIT15A12/132200912288?fits=Year%3A2012%7CMake%3ASubaru&epid=1622311002&hash=item1ec7c9d5a0:g:hJQAAOxyyrRR9rvQ&vxp=mtr

This is what I bought when I purchased my 2016 Outback. If you change filter every 5,000 miles, it will cover your 60,000 mile powertran warranty.

Also been using PUP or PP 5w-30 since new, 40,000 miles now, no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back