2018 Honda CRV factory filled engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav

Did you also read where Honda desires to be seen by consumers as a "green company" by adopting conservative first engine oil change intervals? Honda Germany specs 1000-2000 Km (600-1200mi) for the first service including oil and filter change depending on model, same engines, same compounds for first start protection, if it were the same as the US I would probably agree with you. Why the discrepancy? Fair question IMO.

Interesting, that is odd.

Toyota does the same thing but in a way they leave it up to the dealer to determine it based on ??, its relevant because without the dealers stamp in the warranty booklet you have no warranty.
It could be they want any metal particles out early due the higher operating speeds the engines see there I really don't know but when there are multiple recommendations for the same thing it makes you wonder what the reason is.

Owners manuals are get more sketchy all the time in Euro land with the "see your local dealer" for more details asterisk. Personally when in doubt I default to sooner is probably better than later mentality.
21.gif

Ok, here is the best answer. Change it whenever you want to.

Originally Posted By: Bud

Which doesn't answer his question at all.

Originally Posted By: BKTX
So is this factory filled oil different?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
All that humidity in Texas has allowed the oil to grow algae in it, snails eat algae so you can drop 10-12 snails in there and after 100 miles or so it should be golden.
Aquarium snails.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Toyota does the same thing but in a way they leave it up to the dealer to determine it based on ??, its relevant because without the dealers stamp in the warranty booklet you have no warranty.
It could be they want any metal particles out early due the higher operating speeds the engines see there I really don't know but when there are multiple recommendations for the same thing it makes you wonder what the reason is.

Owners manuals are get more sketchy all the time in Euro land with the "see your local dealer" for more details asterisk. Personally when in doubt I default to sooner is probably better than later mentality.
21.gif

Yeah I tend to think similarly.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Bud

Which doesn't answer his question at all.

So is this factory filled oil different?

The reason I said this, is that information is available from Honda about leaving the factory fill in until the mm tells you to change it. If you don't want to follow Honda's advice, then change it when you want. It not rocket science. Since it is a new car, have a chat with the service advisor. Give the old owners manual a read.

Very recently I happened to check 2018 Honda CRV. It had less than 500 miles on it. I noticed that the color of engine oil is kind of dark greenish. Normally all new engine oils show as golden during oil change. So is this factory filled oil different?

It's dye they put in the oil to check for leaks. My 2014 Focus ST was the same way.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: burla
The real question is with all of the new sparce additive low visc oils, why do more companies not have high moly. Can only be good for the direction auto manufacturing is going with the di turbo's. get you some lubeguard's biotech.
Moly is bad for cat converters and O2 sensors.
Do you have a reference source for this info? This is news to me. The EPA specifically bans use of phosphorus over 800 ppm in ILSAC oil to make the cats last, yet nobody worries about moly fouling cats or O2 sensors. For example, Mazda Genuine Motor Oil has 700 ppm moly (very high), and Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 for Chrsyler's SRT engines have 275 ppm moly, and they both have cats/O2's to protect. Most oils have less than 80 ppm moly since friction benefits are almost maxed out there. Any more and it starts to function as an anti-wear additive.

Moly can fill asperities in newly machined engine surfaces and reduce hot spots during break-in, so the legend goes. Very reasonable and lines up with Honda's recommendations.

Originally Posted By: tojo1968
Very recently I happened to check 2018 Honda CRV. It had less than 500 miles on it. I noticed that the color of engine oil is kind of dark greenish. Normally all new engine oils show as golden during oil change. So is this factory filled oil different?

It's dye they put in the oil to check for leaks. My 2014 Focus ST was the same way.

I've never heard of FF oils having the UV-light visible dye already there, though Castrol OE oils for dealerships have it:
91j3iSSYZCL._SX522_.jpg

Technicians can simply add a little UV dye separately if they want to track down a small leak so it doesn't have to be in the oil in the first place.

Moly does darken the oil by itself, although not green.

Mazda Genuine Motor Oil has a ton of moly in it (~700 ppm) and is black, not green.
Liqui Moly MOS2 additive is black, and can be added to break-in oil if changing it out early and you want the benefits during break-in.

Just this once..........consider reading the owner manual for the car. Honda is ADAMANT about not changing the oil early regardless of the color. Try it.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Just this once..........consider reading the owner manual for the car. Honda is ADAMANT about not changing the oil early regardless of the color. Try it.

Perhaps you should do the same. Recent Honda manuals DO NOT say this. The only reference to OCIs is to follow the oil life monitor and there’s no mention of harm coming from earlier changes.

It’s either not that important or Honda thinks their owners are fundamentally appliance buyers.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Recent Honda manuals DO NOT say this. The only reference to OCIs is to follow the oil life monitor and there’s no mention of harm coming from earlier changes. It’s either not that important or Honda thinks their owners are fundamentally appliance buyers.

mightymousetech, a Honda tech, said Honda tells them about not changing early. And dealerships have been known to tell owners not to change early.
But yeah they should put this in the Owner's Manual if its a big deal.

When I bought my ridgeline the service writer said the same thing to me.

They told me they wouldn't change my initial oil even if I paid them too until the olm indicated 10% remaining.

Manual doenst say squat about this.

UD

Last edited:

Perhaps you should do the same. Recent Honda manuals DO NOT say this. The only reference to OCIs is to follow the oil life monitor and there’s no mention of harm coming from earlier changes.

It’s either not that important or Honda thinks their owners are fundamentally appliance buyers.
Originally Posted By: UncleDave

They told me they wouldn't change my initial oil even if I paid them too until the olm indicated 10% remaining.

UD

But the manual does. It says to change at the interval specified by the MM. not whenever you feel like it, not at 500 or 3000 miles or at 50%, but when indicated. This means exactly that-change it when the MM tells you, not before. It’s telling you what to do, not what “not to do”.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

They build the engines the same, regardless of what market.

That was exactly my point. IIRC it was the NA and Japanese markets that stressed leaving the FF in for the full interval. Other areas of the world no emphasis, in other words an early change was fine, same engine...

Originally Posted By: Balrog006

UD

But the manual does. It says to change at the interval specified by the MM. not whenever you feel like it, not at 500 or 3000 miles or at 50%, but when indicated. This means exactly that-change it when the MM tells you, not before. It’s telling you what to do, not what “not to do”.

Fair point - Let me rephrase - the manual doenst say squat about the initial fill vs any other and simply states to "follow the OLM".

The GM manual says the same thing - then guys started losing timing chains and then GM "recalibrated the OLM". - oops sorry we were just kidding.

Honda also told people losing a quart every thousand miles was ok - then they lost a class action suit.

What manufacturers say is often at odds with what should be done for a variety of reasons.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Balrog006

UD

Let me rephrase -

The manual doesn't distinguish between the initial fill and any other simply stating to "follow the OLM".

The GM manual says the same thing - then guys started losing timing chains and then GM "recalibrated the OLM". - oops sorry we were just kidding.

Honda also told people losing a quart every thousand miles was ok - then they lost a class action suit.

What manufacturers say is often at odds with what should be done for a variety of reasons.

UD

Honda’s manual doesn’t need to specify a difference between factory fill and subsequent oil changes because their intent and instructions to the owners is identical-change the oil (any, all, FF, 2nd or 100th) when the MM tells you to.

Why would they need to give you explicit instructions on what to do and when and then redundantly repeat the effort by telling you what not to do especially in a one time only, special case (changing the FF) occurrence if it’s no different to them than any other oil change duration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back