2017 Miata, 66,500 miles - Castrol Euro 5w/40 - 6,000mi

Pretty boring report. I actually can't recall if the oil had 6k or 7k. Mostly highway miles. I believe the previous fill was Mobil1 5w30 ESP, and subsequent fill was PP Euro L 5w30.

17 MIATA-240226 (003)_Redacted.jpg

Just to be clear the 2/20 sample is PP Euro L 5w30? "Subsequent" meaning following after Mobil 1 ESP.

I think this is the first UOA here for the 5W-40 SP formulation. Looks like the viscosity loss is shear as the PDS flash point is 410F.

I think this is the first UOA here for the 5W-40 SP formulation. Looks like the viscosity loss is shear as the PDS flash point is 410F.
Unfortunately there is no way a Blackstone analysis can give that information. Their method of estimation is proven unreliable as is their measurement of flash point (and viscosity for that matter). Even if they could properly measure flash point it's still an estimation of fuel dilution and not a direct measurement. The method is inferior.

It's also unlikely to be mechanical shear of the VM in an engine like this.

No, sorry. The 2/20 sample was likely M1 ESP (didn't keep records). The fill that I just put in the car is PP Euro L 5w30.
It looks like your Miata oil change is working well. Wear appears low for the mileage. Even though the Viscosity is below a 40 grade it's more than enough for the Mazda. Thanks for sharing.

Looks as expected; excellent wear rates. Contamination is essentially non-existent.

10k mile OCI is very doable here.

Report looks real good here. This is the same oil / same viscosity that I've trying to sell for $10. I have 6 five quart jugs.
After seeing this UOA and a VOA on the Virgin Board about a month ago, it would be foolish to not keep it / not use it.

Thanks for the contribution here Jamus.

Unfortunately there is no way a Blackstone analysis can give that information. Their method of estimation is proven unreliable as is their measurement of flash point (and viscosity for that matter). Even if they could properly measure flash point it's still an estimation of fuel dilution and not a direct measurement. The method is inferior.

It's also unlikely to be mechanical shear of the VM in an engine like this.
Agreed. I've now seen enough BS results with suspiciously low viscosity that I just have to shrug and move on.

@vinu_neuro - I should have two UOAs with this oil appearing here soon. One by perhaps tomorrow, and one by possibly next Friday. Both will be done with Oil Analyzers, so proper fuel, oxidation, and fewer doubts about viscosity being inaccurate.

edit: sorry, I got ahead of myself. The oil I just put into these two vehicles is Castrol Euro 5W40 API SP, so those UOAs won't be ready for 6-9 months. :(

I do have a UOA coming up in mid April with this oil though, on our 2013 Volvo S80.

Last edited:
Back