2017 Mazda CX-9, HPL PCMO 5W-40, 9,988 Miles

Attachment.jpeg

Prior UOA: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/2017-mazda-cx9-2-5t-pup-5w-30-4-858-miles.312127/

Cylinder head was replaced at 60K so the entire engine was resealed. Common issue for the early Mazda 2.5T engines. This is probably driving the high Si reading.

This was the @High Performance Lubricants PCMO 5W40, not the Euro version.

The magnesium level is interesting. Al doubled from a double mileage run so no surprise really. It would be nice to see what the mileage avg is for this car from BS. Good note on the Silicon from previous work. Are you going to cut the filter for inspection?

Higher wear metals might be expected during the break-in of a new cylinder head. The aluminum could be from the cam journals. Did you change the oil or are you running it longer?

Fe will typically track with miles. Al and Cu and Pb will generally shed some initial metal and they remain low regardless of miles. So the Al is something to watch for, but in no way is it at any level worthy of condemnation; not by a long shot.

The Si is possibly a reflection of the add-pack; I don't recall fully but perhaps the anti-foam agent they use can echo into the Si signature?

The best way to look at micro-UOAs is to get a VOA and know where the virgin numbers stand; then you understand the baseline.

This load is able to go further.

I will add that Blackstone's fuel % is a guess and should be used accordingly. With your viscosity, I would bet the fuel dilution was higher. We know from previous data that HPL oils don't shear.

If you send the next sample to Wearcheck, you'll get an accurate test for fuel dilution.

I will add that Blackstone's fuel % is a guess and should be used accordingly. With your viscosity, I would bet the fuel dilution was higher. We know from previous data that HPL oils don't shear.

If you send the next sample to Wearcheck, you'll get an accurate test for fuel dilution.
Was going to say, there's lots of fuel here.

Previous runs looked OK with a 30w.
While under powertrain warranty I kept it at 5w30. As you can see after 5k they're all down to viscosity of a 20wt. Not to concerned about the minimal fuel efficiency loss staying with 5w40. I also have another TGDI vehicle that specs 5w40 or 5w30.

Reactions: FZ1
I agree with others that the fuel content is not accurate. I think it's closer to 4-5%. Blackstone doesn't have GC to properly test fuel dilution. Their method of doing it isn't very accurate, little more than a guess. Next time, send the sample to a better lab such as Polaris (Amsoil) or WearCheck to get an accurate fuel percentage with GC.

Other than that, nothing to worry about. The high silicon is from a defoamer in the add pack but some of it is likely from cleaning. The wear metals don't sound any alarms.

Back