2017 Forester 60k Service

Reached out to dealers and independent shops for 60k service on a 2.5L Forester.

Dealer: Essentially said differential fluid, brake fluid, spark plugs, PCV valve, fuel injection service, alignment check, spark plugs, filters, typical multi point inspection, oil change, etc. About $1200

Independent: Essentially said differential fluid, brake fluid, spark plugs, CVT fluid and filter, typical filters, multi point inspection, oil change, etc. About $1200.

I'm feeling the independent is more closely following the maintenance booklet from Subaru. Do I really need a fuel injection service at 60k if I run Top Tier fuel with mostly highway miles? PCV valve at 60k? I feel I'd be better off with CVT transmission fluid changed than an injector cleaning and PCV valve.

I do the oil change and cabin and engine filters myself, so subtract about $200 from both.

Thoughts? Opinions? Anything else I should do? Anything I should skip?

The 2017 isn't DI. The fuel injection service is most likely useless at this time. You probably don't need a PCV valve, either.

The spark plugs are almost impossible to do on any DOHC Subaru, and the CVT fluid change requires the scan tool to read the transmission temperature. A new scan tool with this capability is around $200, but if you're lucky, you can find a used one for much less. Subaru says it's "lifetime" fill, but you and the indy both know there's no such thing. It should be done at regular intervals. Every 60k should be fine.

The front diff isn't as easy as it used to be, since Subaru stopped including a dipstick from it. There is a fill hole on the side of it somewhere. The rear diff should still be easy for you to do yourself.

It isn't a bad idea to change the brake fluid, and the time interval is more important than mileage for this particular item, since the brake fluid absorbs moisture over time and unrelated to mileage.

The 2017 isn't DI. The fuel injection service is most likely useless at this time. You probably don't need a PCV valve, either.

The spark plugs are almost impossible to do on any DOHC Subaru, and the CVT fluid change requires the scan tool to read the transmission temperature. A new scan tool with this capability is around $200, but if you're lucky, you can find a used one for much less. Subaru says it's "lifetime" fill, but you and the indy both know there's no such thing. It should be done at regular intervals. Every 60k should be fine.

The front diff isn't as easy as it used to be, since Subaru stopped including a dipstick from it. There is a fill hole on the side of it somewhere. The rear diff should still be easy for you to do yourself.

It isn't a bad idea to change the brake fluid, and the time interval is more important than mileage for this particular item, since the brake fluid absorbs moisture over time and unrelated to mileage.

You and I and the indy seem to think alike. The indy sent me a lengthy email with the quote discussing "lifetime fluids." Basically implied if I'm keeping it only 100k skip the transmission fluid change but if I'm planning to keep it longer change the CVT tranny fluid. Idle is fine. Wondering, too, why laser iridium plugs need a 60k change interval. My Civic laser iridiums went 100k+ miles. But $60 for plugs + labor isn't worth losing sleep over. Subaru must change them early for some reason...

I didn't know the spark plugs are almost impossible to do on a DOHC Subaru however I am going to remember this when buying my next car. I don't want to own a vehicle that is so difficult to change spark plugs. Just saying.

I didn't know the spark plugs are almost impossible to do on a DOHC Subaru however I am going to remember this when buying my next car. I don't want to own a vehicle that is so difficult to change spark plugs. Just saying.

The problem is the wide engine in a narrow car. The spark plugs sit against the frame. The valve cover gaskets are also a big job, for the same reason. Anything at the sides of the engine will be difficult.

Even with the Ascent, which isn't sold in Japan, they didn't widen the car enough to access the sides of the engine

The dealerships in my area tend to charge a total cost of about $800 after tax for the 60k Subaru service. The big item is spark plug replacement and it is generally regarded as the most difficult routine maintenance item to perform on these engines unless you are able to remove the engine from the engine bay.

I am of the opinion, as someone who has owned several Subaru vehicles and worked on them extensively as well as countless others that spark plug replacement is something I am happy to pay someone else to do. Every other item on the 60k service rundown is something I have found to be easy to do myself.

Your brake pads and rotors may be close to needing attention. It certainly would not be bad to clean and relube the sliding parts. What is the coolant service interval?

Changed the plugs about 6 months ago on my '16 Forester with a 2.5. Was't THAT difficult. Battery on the drivers side and engine air box on the passenger side need to be removed for access. Helps to have a 3" wobbly extension and patience. There are some you tube videos on this.

My opinion on this given it's a 2017 w/ only 60K miles, I wouldn't do any of this at this time.

I'd change the rear diff fluid myself. Having owned 3 later model Subarus, with the last one being a 2016 Forester, changing diff oil is super easy to DIY.

If you plan on keeping it forever, I'd change that diff oil and have the CVT fluid changed now and wait on the other stuff.

To me, the FI service, brake fluid change, alignment check, etc.. is all fluff unless you suspect you're having issues. The PCV valve is probably like new yet. I never even considered changing that on my 2012, 14 and 2016 Subarus.

Spark plugs: A spark plug change on an FB25 if very similar to doing one on the FB20 that I have in my Impreza. It takes no more than half an hour for a DIYer to do. All you need is a 10mm socket, 9/16 spark plug socket,

Brake fluid change: Very easy DIY job. Shouldn’t take you more than an hour if you use a $12 one-man-bleeder.

Front and rear differential fluid: These are very easy if you have a good breaker bar and enough room to get some leverage (and some extensions to get the front one). The factory employs gorillas to install these plugs, the first time they are opened up is the hardest time.

If you aren’t willing to DIY these tasks, then my recommendation: Do not pay for a “major mileage service.” and go for individual services instead. Whenever dealers package things together, the cost goes up like crazy but for no reason. Out of all of these services, I’d personally only pay a mechanic to do the CVT fluid change and the differentials (if this is the first change).

Your brake pads and rotors may be close to needing attention. It certainly would not be bad to clean and relube the sliding parts. What is the coolant service interval?
I've never had a car in my adult life need brakes before 100k. Lots of highway miles. Coolant is 100k or 120k or something. 8 or 10 years. Can't remember.

My opinion on this given it's a 2017 w/ only 60K miles, I wouldn't do any of this at this time.

I'd change the rear diff fluid myself. Having owned 3 later model Subarus, with the last one being a 2016 Forester, changing diff oil is super easy to DIY.

If you plan on keeping it forever, I'd change that diff oil and have the CVT fluid changed now and wait on the other stuff.

To me, the FI service, brake fluid change, alignment check, etc.. is all fluff unless you suspect you're having issues. The PCV valve is probably like new yet. I never even considered changing that on my 2012, 14 and 2016 Subarus.
I do my brake fluid every 3-4 years. I'm one of those people.

I am wondering if they have an extended warranty that they are interested in maintaining. That would be my main reason for getting the 60k service completed in a timely manner.
No extended on this car. Well, the CVT was extended by Subaru on these I think. To 100k or something. I've done major things about every 3-4 years 50-60k on every car I've owned in my life. Make sure things are tip top.

Spark plugs: A spark plug change on an FB25 if very similar to doing one on the FB20 that I have in my Impreza. It takes no more than half an hour for a DIYer to do. All you need is a 10mm socket, 9/16 spark plug socket,

Brake fluid change: Very easy DIY job. Shouldn’t take you more than an hour if you use a $12 one-man-bleeder.

Front and rear differential fluid: These are very easy if you have a good breaker bar and enough room to get some leverage (and some extensions to get the front one). The factory employs gorillas to install these plugs, the first time they are opened up is the hardest time.

If you aren’t willing to DIY these tasks, then my recommendation: Do not pay for a “major mileage service.” and go for individual services instead. Whenever dealers package things together, the cost goes up like crazy but for no reason. Out of all of these services, I’d personally only pay a mechanic to do the CVT fluid change and the differentials (if this is the first change).

Normally I'd do a lot of this myself, but in other posts it's that I rent and can't do it in the parking lot. Have family I try to visit when I need an oil change. But trying to do plugs and everything and, if I mess up, it's hours from civilization so don't want to deal with that headache running to get parts or extra fluid. I have a Mighty Vac that's great for brake bleeding, but they charge $89 for it. So... I'm ok not doing it. Lol

Back