2019 Equinox 60K Mile Service

Last oil change at the dealer someone wrote recommend 60K service, Going to call the dealer tomorrow to see what they indicate this but thought I would reach out here to see what thoughts are on what this should be. From looking at manual the only additional services I see are spark plugs and possibly transmission fluid. Was surprised did not see cleaning the valves/injection service or what ever it is called now.

Thanks in advance.

It's always reassuring when the dealer says "60,000 mile service" instead of just saying spark plugs or whatever is actually listed in the owner's manual. These 30,000/60,000/90,000 mile dealer services can be very expensive and include a lot of things not listed in your owner's manual.

Whatever they offer is useless and high margin for them. If it's a GDI engine then you can get a can of CRC GDI Intake Vale Cleaner and do the same thing, with the help of someone holding the throttle at a constant RPM. If it's MPI they claim it's "carbon cleaning the intake". I fell for this 16 years ago at a KIA dealership, of all places. They ended up overfilling the engine with oil, causing an oil leak, and cracking the engine "beauty" cover, during the same service. Since those days, I never visit dealerships, except if it's a recall that has to be absolutely done.

Assuming it's the 1.5L turbo, I wouldn't do any type of "induction service". I wouldn't worry about intake valve build-up unless you have the intake plenum off for some other reason.

Have you done any driveline services on it yet? At this point I would for sure do several drain/fills on that 6spd trans. Super easy to do. I would also drain/fill the transfer case and rear diff if it's AWD. Those 3 things is all I'd be concerned with at this point, if you're after max longevity of the vehicle. Engine oil changes as often as you can tolerate is important too for this GDI turbo.

Assuming it's the 1.5L turbo, I wouldn't do any type of "induction service". I wouldn't worry about intake valve build-up unless you have the intake plenum off for some other reason.

Have you done any driveline services on it yet? At this point I would for sure do several drain/fills on that 6spd trans. Super easy to do. I would also drain/fill the transfer case and rear diff if it's AWD. Those 3 things is all I'd be concerned with at this point, if you're after max longevity of the vehicle. Engine oil changes as often as you can tolerate is important too for this GDI turbo.
Engine is 2.0T

Has the 9 speed trans and FWD.

Reactions: JTK
Good deal that you don't have to worry about AWD components. I'd still really keep up engine oil changes and ATF changes though.

Engine is 2.0T

Has the 9 speed trans and FWD.
If you want to the most useful life out of that engine, put an oil catch can on it, and don't worry about the dealer's non-sense. Turbos create more blowby that NA engines.

Watch out for that $70 dollar cabin filter R&R upcharge.

I wouldn't let any schmoe do an "induction service" unless there is a specific GM TSB outlining the procedure and the cleaning product (usually with a GM p/n)

Last oil change at the dealer someone wrote recommend 60K service, Going to call the dealer tomorrow to see what they indicate this but thought I would reach out here to see what thoughts are on what this should be.
Look on the bright side. My mother once became convinced she was overdue for several major services, like say 30K, 50K, 60K etc. She went in to the dealer and demanded they do ALL of them! Fortunately they were honest enough to tell her there was a lot of redundancy in those services..... They only need to change her oil one time, not three, etc.

I understand your viewpoint but I feel that regular intake valve cleanings on DI vehicles is a worthwhile procedure because its easier to keep them clean vs waiting until its too late then you have to do the costly walnut blast cleaning to clean them. I don't believe in paying someone $100+ to do it though - a can ran thru before each oil change yourself for $10-15 is sufficient and preferred.

Reactions: D60
I'm wanting to change rear differential and transfer case oils on my 2018 equinox 1.6 L turbo diesel. Having a hard time finding information on oil types and amounts for these oil changes. Could someone fill me in on what I need?
Thanks

I'm wanting to change rear differential and transfer case oils on my 2018 equinox 1.6 L turbo diesel. Having a hard time finding information on oil types and amounts for these oil changes. Could someone fill me in on what I need?
Thanks
Should be in specification fluids and capacity section of your owner's manual. Amsoil site says GL5 75W90 for transfer case - should be same for light duty 3rd member. I have had good luck with semi syn or syn Valvoline gear oils in the juice bags.
Funny I dont recall the diesel option for an equinox - but I wasn't in the market for something like that.

You should post your question HERE (see below) you are in the incorrect forum and thread hijacking

Thanks

Luckily these GM boxes have drain and fill plugs, easy to access.

You'd have to refer to GM service data, but I know in 2018+ Chevy Traverse world, the transfer case and rear diff gear box use 75w90 and you fill them until fluid dribbles out the fill plug. The exception on the Traverse is, the clutch at the input of the rear diff has a separate housing that specs pentosin CHF 11s hydraulic fluid, so there's 3 different reservoirs. I don't believe the Equinox system has that.

Back