Thanks and more forester questions!

THANKS to everyone. OK, Subaru Forester is 2017 with 40,000 original miles. Honda dealer, whom I like, did oil change, total inspection. They found the brake fluid to be black, and low. Considering my daughter's approach, that is likely the original brake fluid! brakes are ok, I did them total new 8,000 miles ago. they clamped down the exhaust heat shields, which were rusted and rattling. They said the engine and cabin air filter were ok, I did them 8000 miles ago. Honda said the coolant, trans fluid and diff fluids were ok
dumb questions:

1. daughter wants to keep car forever. car is 6 years old, 40,000 miles. i am sure radiator fluid NEVER changed. trans. fluid and diff fluid never changed. Honda said tires were getting close to need replacing. Daughter did not keep report, but I think the tread was ??6-7 mm?

should I change the radiator fluid now?

change trans. fluid now?

change front and rear diff fluid now? My daughter never will, and wants to drive car forever!

THANK YOU! I would rather waste money now and have car be safe and last long.

best,

bob

Coolant, not sure it needs to be done, but worthwhile, it's getting up there in age. Quick look says it's a timing chain, so no worries there.

Brake fluid is due for a flush, but dealer says it's black? seems odd. Regardless, easy enough to do, might as well check pads and rotors while at it.

Trans and diff, probably not due according to the schedule, but no harm.

Lastly: if your daughter says she wants to keep forever... maybe school her on the notion that it takes time and effort to do so. Unless if her plan is to just have dad make that happen?

Transmission fluid as well as front and rear diff fluids would be wise if you plan to keep the vehicle a long time. These Subaru CVTs do have a separate front diff chamber (so to speak), with it's own fluid built into the CVT.

Rear pads and rotors tend to wear out twice as fast as the fronts on these.

Keep it rust proofed / oil sprayed for max longevity if you live in the rust belt.

Tread should be easily checked; I'd be surprised if they were original after 40k. 5mm is like 6/32's and not ready for replacement, although tires can age out and may be prudent to replaced if they are indeed original.

Your Honda dealer sounds wonderful. Lucky guy!

I would bring the car to a good custom muffler shop and have them tack weld the heatshields where possible, Maybe toss the unnecessary ones. I had to do this on a Nissan that were notorious for rusting heatshild welds in 2 years. They maka horrendous racket. Then maybe paint the welds with some zinc coating - stay FAR away from the 02 sensors.

The rear diff should have been dumped long ago. Easy to do yourself. Supertech semi full synthetic or Valvoline GL-5 same in the "juice bag" 75W90 works well, Mobil 80W90 HD bulk is garbage - I have had to dump it on two dealer serviced cars in the past ten years. I would not use Mobil 1 gear oil either.

Check the OM for coolant interval, I would change it a couple years early if it's 10 year OAT juice,

And do that 4 corner brake bleed ASAP.. Not sure how to air purge/activate the ABS with a scan tool - so a dealer job there.

Same with coolant drain and flush and renew. - dealer job. Hazardous waste. Inless you have a local outlet to take the stuff.

She cant keep the car "forever" but maybe 5 more years. Be prepared to do one or two CV axles along the way . They are pricey - Six bills a pop. I know, BTDT.

- Ken

I would bring the car to a good custom muffler shop and have them tack weld the heatshields where possible, Maybe toss the unnecessary ones. I had to do this on a Nissan that were notorious for rusting heatshild welds in 2 years. They maka horrendous racket. Then maybe paint the welds with some zinc coating - stay FAR away from the 02 sensors.

Yep, my Subarus and Nissans have been horrible with heat shields. South Main Auto just did a video on a 2011 Subaru timing belt change, where Eric brazed some of the rattling heat shields to the pipes, where the stand off pieces once were.

THANK YOU EVERYONE.

JTK: How do you do rustproofing? which product? Live in Mass. lots of salt on roads
to all: Yes, I did totally replace the brake fluid. Yes, Honda DID fix the heat shields. Those failed on my old Lexus.

sounds like I should do differential, and coolant. car sits outside for 6 years. might do trans. fluid.

I don't have daughter's receipt, so will call dealer and ask how many mm tread on each of 4 tires.

thanks so much
bob

A couple of things. I have a 2018 Forester with 90K miles that is still running the original brake fluid (I'm lazy) and it looks as good as new to my naked eye. So your daughter's Forester having black-ish brake fluid would warrant some investigation, IMO. On tires, I have been told that it is very important to make sure the tires have roughly equal amounts of tread left/right and front/rear, due to the AWD system being sensitive to that. I cannot independently confirm how critical it is.

On the transmission fluid, is it a CVT? From what I've read, some dealers won't replace the fluid at that low mileage unless it has seen severe service like towing, but who really tows with a Forester?? I'm sure an independent shop would change the transmission fluid for you, if you have a shop you trust.

I would get the CVT fluid changed only at a good subaru dealer, subaru is pretty specific for matching a fluid to a transmission, and the procedure is little more complicated than a spill and fill. My parents 2016 Forester has whatever their local garage put it in, and its not running quite as smoothly as our Outback and its only got 100k miles on it...

Back