2016 Volvo XC60 dealer used 10W-30 instead of 5w-2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why everyone gets so bent about not having a dipstick. Ignition mode II, select oil level check from the menu. Takes less time than opening the hood and grabbing a rag.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I don't know why everyone gets so bent about not having a dipstick. Ignition mode II, select oil level check from the menu. Takes less time than opening the hood and grabbing a rag.

Sure fine but no color, no smell, no tactile feel of the oil....come on do you honestly trust a computer to determine when your oil goes bad?! I would rather use my "wrong" judgement and gain 200k miles on the engine then trust a "correct" response of a computer oil checker. Sure it might cost me another $1K in total oil changes but how much does a new car cost?!

I must state that in my assessment it's 10k or bust so any oil that is unable to go beyond 10k or even reach it before it's changed.

Last edited:
Color, smell, feel, don't mean much to me.

The digital dipstick tells me I have enough oil. I use $30 in quality oil every 5k miles with 10k filter changes.

I don't need much more than that for peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Color, smell, feel, don't mean much to me.

The digital dipstick tells me I have enough oil. I use $30 in quality oil every 5k miles with 10k filter changes.

I don't need much more than that for peace of mind.

Honestly I want to reply with: "I know what you mean" but in reality I want to reply with the old timer: "I don't know what you mean" sure I love to know when my computer tells me when to change my oil but honestly I love the visceral meaning of when I should change my oil ie: " 10k miles gritty and smells burnt plus 1 qt missing" sure ok let's change that fvcker.

with that I want to caution to say that I have never made my oils go beyond 10k it's normally 8.9k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tempnexus
My last 2002 Volvo S40 I've kept for 14 years, the only reason I had to get rid of it was because it got "totaled" (insurance guidance) in an accident.

That's why it's a waste of money to go with any additives. Cars run fine without it. Then either someone else will total your car or you'll get rid of it when it has a problem that exceeds the book value of the car. Usually it's not the engine that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back